Sheff Weds - Back from the game

291 posts
sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Sheff Weds - Back from the game

by sandman » 09 Feb 2014 18:55

bcubed
sandman Ah a loss, must be time to have a go at Jobi. :roll:

Not really he's been the weak link in last few games IMO, the one player I would have thought about changing
He usually flatters to deceive but yesterday he didn't even bother with the flattering, hence the negative comments from quite a number on here

No, sorry, just no. He has not been the weak link in the last few games at all in fact if it wasn't for him and the security he gives I doubt Obita would have taken to left back as well as he has.

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 09 Feb 2014 18:57

I've watched that over and over and it's impossible to make a decision based on the angle. You can guess, which I suspect is what the ref did. The linesman should have had an excellent angle but he didn't give a pen.

Gorkss gets to the ball just about as Afobe goes down, and it looks like the ball was always too far ahead of Afobe for him to have had a shot.

I agree that in he early stages of the tussle Afobe just used his strength, whereas from my live view I was sure he had fouled Pearce

It would be interesting to know if the ref thought the pen was for holding or a trip. The way Afobe goes down I suspect Pearce my have just clipped his heel although not intentionally. A trip is a trip though, whether you intend it or not.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 09 Feb 2014 19:00

sandman
bcubed
sandman Ah a loss, must be time to have a go at Jobi. :roll:

Not really he's been the weak link in last few games IMO, the one player I would have thought about changing
He usually flatters to deceive but yesterday he didn't even bother with the flattering, hence the negative comments from quite a number on here

No, sorry, just no. He has not been the weak link in the last few games at all in fact if it wasn't for him and the security he gives I doubt Obita would have taken to left back as well as he has.
Agree

and as for "the last few games"

Sorry but, lol just lol...he was awesome v Blackpool for one of those "last few"

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 09 Feb 2014 19:02

Funny that from right behind the incident Afobe "using his strength" looked a lot like using two hands to push Pearce in the back.

Oh wait... that's what he did.

McClearyChops

by McClearyChops » 09 Feb 2014 20:52

It has probably been said on here but I haven't had a chance to read it all

Have we appealed the red card ?

BonBoh

by BonBoh » 09 Feb 2014 21:06

by the by...
does anyone else think we should have had a penalty before Pearce was sent off when Pog went through?
The defender sticks a toe in to take the ball off him but, in doing so, prods it past the onrushing keeper who slides into the Pog and prevents him from running on to score.

Have a close look at the highlights and look at this bit very closely. Kirkland clearly takes out the Pog who was still ahead of the defender as the ball goes past Kirkland.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 09 Feb 2014 21:23

BonBoh by the by...
does anyone else think we should have had a penalty before Pearce was sent off when Pog went through?
The defender sticks a toe in to take the ball off him but, in doing so, prods it past the onrushing keeper who slides into the Pog and prevents him from running on to score.

Have a close look at the highlights and look at this bit very closely. Kirkland clearly takes out the Pog who was still ahead of the defender as the ball goes past Kirkland.

Pog and the rest of the team didn't appeal so I would say no as that is normally a good barometer to go by.
Last edited by Wycombe Royal on 09 Feb 2014 23:43, edited 1 time in total.

Loyal royal 247

by Loyal royal 247 » 09 Feb 2014 22:11

We should not lose to sheffield Wednesday at home. End off.

Loyal royal 247

by Loyal royal 247 » 09 Feb 2014 22:13

creative_username_1 deffo not a red...unclear from that footage if it was a pen or not. Did Pearce clip his legs or pull him back? All looks a bit clumsy

Deffo? :D

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 09 Feb 2014 22:19

My first game since September and, despite the result (not to mention being one of Adkins strongest critics) I left seriously impressed with both the team and its manager's performance on one of those inevitable days in the course of a long season when, sh*t happens.

As Pearce sloped off after seeing red, I said to my neighbour "That's Alf done for the afternoon"

Before Adkins saw the light and adopted the McDermott approach of getting the very best out of available resources whatever it takes, Le Fondre would have been sat next to Pearce within minutes. The fact the manager elected to retain our Championship player of the month in such adversity should give us all much hope for the rest of the season.

Playing a man short at this level for 80 minutes is a very tall order and, to state the blindingly obvious, something has to give. We needed at least one goal to get anything from the game and with just an ounce of luck here or there we would have succeeded. I thought our "10" covered the ground amazingly well right to the final whistle and the 2 strikers insured Wedneday always had something think about in defence. Meanwhile, the pace of Obita and McCleary at full back meant they could get forward from time to time to good effect and half way through the second half our heavily worked central midfield was swapped for fresh legs. Yes, this all made us more direct and, yes, some tired legs misplaced a few passes but as a means to play almost an entire match one man and one goal down, it was nothing short of impressive ..........................what do some of you want, blood :|

With 11 men on the pitch we would have wiped the floor with a simply dire Wednesday, whose first half negativity beggared belief at times. What I didn't understand was everyone getting so upset with their time wasting. Whenever one of their players elected to give us a breather by rolling on the floor for a few minutes rather than running us into the ground with their numerical advantage, I was saying "Thanks very much" :|

With the benefit of subsequent media, in my view Pearce appears to have been somewhat clumsy and a tad naïve but this is a sh*t rule that we have benefited from in the past and one most centre halves succumb to more than once in their career. As an eminent Northern Royal observed as we left the Upper West, conceding a penalty and losing a man for the rest of the match in these situations is tantamount to double jeopardy.

Sh*t happens but FINALLY I'm looking forward to seeing this team perform with a full compliment and looking infinitely more effective than just a few weeks ago ............................better late than never, Nige!

Old Biscuitman

by Old Biscuitman » 09 Feb 2014 22:21

Loyal royal 247 We should not lose to sheffield Wednesday at home. End off.

Yep, after 10 pages of nothing much, that just about sums it up.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 09 Feb 2014 22:33

Woodcote Royal My first game since September and, despite the result (not to mention being one of Adkins strongest critics) I left seriously impressed with both the team and its manager's performance on one of those inevitable days in the course of a long season when, sh*t happens.

As Pearce sloped off after seeing red, I said to my neighbour "That's Alf done for the afternoon"

Before Adkins saw the light and adopted the McDermott approach of getting the very best out of available resources whatever it takes, Le Fondre would have been sat next to Pearce within minutes. The fact the manager elected to retain our Championship player of the month in such adversity should give us all much hope for the rest of the season.

Playing a man short at this level for 80 minutes is a very tall order and, to state the blindingly obvious, something has to give. We needed at least one goal to get anything from the game and with just an ounce of luck here or there we would have succeeded. I thought our "10" covered the ground amazingly well right to the final whistle and the 2 strikers insured Wedneday always had something think about in defence. Meanwhile, the pace of Obita and McCleary at full back meant they could get forward from time to time to good effect and half way through the second half our heavily worked central midfield was swapped for fresh legs. Yes, this all made us more direct and, yes, some tired legs misplaced a few passes but as a means to play almost an entire match one man and one goal down, it was nothing short of impressive ..........................what do some of you want, blood :|

With 11 men on the pitch we would have wiped the floor with a simply dire Wednesday, whose first half negativity beggared belief at times. What I didn't understand was everyone getting so upset with their time wasting. Whenever one of their players elected to give us a breather by rolling on the floor for a few minutes rather than running us into the ground with their numerical advantage, I was saying "Thanks very much" :|

With the benefit of subsequent media, in my view Pearce appears to have been somewhat clumsy and a tad naïve but this is a sh*t rule that we have benefited from in the past and one most centre halves succumb to more than once in their career. As an eminent Northern Royal observed as we left the Upper West, conceding a penalty and losing a man for the rest of the match in these situations is tantamount to double jeopardy.

Sh*t happens but FINALLY I'm looking forward to seeing this team perform with a full compliment and looking infinitely more effective than just a few weeks ago ............................better late than never, Nige!

Agree with all this - except the McD comments
Keeping two up front was a risky but effective strategy and it nearly worked
Plenty of effort throughout which does give cause for optimism and I also think we should have beaten them easily with eleven.
Main criticism for me was that second half tactics should have been altered when they attacked us more

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 09 Feb 2014 22:41

AthleticoSpizz
sandman
bcubed Not really he's been the weak link in last few games IMO, the one player I would have thought about changing

Agree

and as for "the last few games"

Sorry but, lol just lol...he was awesome v Blackpool for one of those "last few"

I'd be (mildly) interested to know how you think he contributed

I do agree that Obita has been one of our best players and he may have been helped by a steadying influence in front of him. Possibly he would have adapted to left back anyway as he is proving to be a pretty decent prospect

Huckleberry Hound

by Huckleberry Hound » 09 Feb 2014 23:36

sandman
Huckleberry Hound
RoyalBlue Right, so there has been absolutely no mention of the appalling weather, localised flooding (yes, even in the Reading area) over the past few days?! And no mention of the traffic problems in the Mad Stad area from at least midday onwards? What's more from the moment Adie and co were on air they were telling people to leave early for the game due to the problems.

I checked the AA website at midday & the only problems on the M4 at the time were eastbound at J5. Was on the approach to J11 just after two o'clock, but missed the first five minutes of the game.

Not sure if it was a pen, but if so, definitely a red card under the laws of the game despite Gorkss' proximity. Not the first time Pearce has been unable to deal with a high ball in the wind. Thought we played well first half, but basically Wednesday were parking the bus & waiting for us to make a mistake. McCleary ran his heart out up & down the right wing.

Disappointed with Obita scraping his studs over the penalty spot & spending much of the first half waving imaginary cards at the ref. Just get on with the game.

And to the two lads in the middle of the east stand who left after ten minutes, if that's your idea of supporting the team then please don't bother coming back. Ever.

Been done to us this season and players always say stuff like "come on ref that's a foul" no difference between that and waving an imaginary card.

Ever heard the phrase 'two wrongs don't make a right''? And no, appealing for a foul is not the same as trying to get an opponent sent off. Although given the circumstances I can understand why he would try.

paultheroyal
Er, they had to attend to a rather upsetting phone call!

Obviously I didn't know that. Very unfortunate timing. My apologies.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 09 Feb 2014 23:46

sandman
Huckleberry Hound
RoyalBlue Right, so there has been absolutely no mention of the appalling weather, localised flooding (yes, even in the Reading area) over the past few days?! And no mention of the traffic problems in the Mad Stad area from at least midday onwards? What's more from the moment Adie and co were on air they were telling people to leave early for the game due to the problems.

I checked the AA website at midday & the only problems on the M4 at the time were eastbound at J5. Was on the approach to J11 just after two o'clock, but missed the first five minutes of the game.

Not sure if it was a pen, but if so, definitely a red card under the laws of the game despite Gorkss' proximity. Not the first time Pearce has been unable to deal with a high ball in the wind. Thought we played well first half, but basically Wednesday were parking the bus & waiting for us to make a mistake. McCleary ran his heart out up & down the right wing.

Disappointed with Obita scraping his studs over the penalty spot & spending much of the first half waving imaginary cards at the ref. Just get on with the game.

And to the two lads in the middle of the east stand who left after ten minutes, if that's your idea of supporting the team then please don't bother coming back. Ever.

Been done to us this season and players always say stuff like "come on ref that's a foul" no difference between that and waving an imaginary card.

Huckleberry Hound Ever heard the phrase 'two wrongs don't make a right''? And no, appealing for a foul is not the same as trying to get an opponent sent off. Although given the circumstances I can understand why he would try.

If you appeal for a foul you're still trying to get the player in trouble so yes, they are the same. "Two wrongs don't make a right" well that's very idealistic of you but we are chasing a play off place in order to get promoted to the Premier League and all of the money that involves, there is no place for ideals in football. Well done to Obita for doing it, shame it didn't come off.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 10 Feb 2014 00:43

Better angle of the pen now on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8qTi4l ... e=youtu.be

Such a twattish dive, but Pearce pulled his shirt very slightly so who knows if an appeal would be successful.

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 10 Feb 2014 07:34

Pissed off wrote: Better angle of the pen now on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8qTi4l%20...%20e=youtu.be

Such a twattish dive, but Pearce pulled his shirt very slightly so who knows if an appeal would be successful.

Well Afobe goes down like a sack of spuds for a minimal tug on the shirt when he could have stayed on his feet....A new diving cheat in the game has just emerged.

If the referees gives a penalty or a free kick every time a shirt is tugged their would be an offence every five minutes.

The referee was conned by a cheat.
Last edited by The Real Sandhurst Royal on 10 Feb 2014 07:48, edited 1 time in total.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 10 Feb 2014 07:43

Wimb Paul after seeing it again on the tele, fair red?

Tug on shirt so clear penalty and that offence was committed before an appalling dive!

Although Gorks was coming round it will be hard for Reading FC to prove that Afobe could not get a shot away... So goal scoring opportunity argument will remain. Pearce will not get away with that I am afraid.

Unleash the Hector!

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 10 Feb 2014 08:26

Looks an even worse decision on the red card from that angle.

Has anybody worked out why Pogrebnyak fell over?

Walkley_Owl

by Walkley_Owl » 10 Feb 2014 09:00

Woodcote Royal My first game since September and, despite the result (not to mention being one of Adkins strongest critics) I left seriously impressed with both the team and its manager's performance on one of those inevitable days in the course of a long season when, sh*t happens.

I'm sorry but that is crap, we did a job, yes we were helped by the dismissal but in the 2nd period we controlled the game, you had 0 shots on target!

291 posts