Are you?

Yes
60%
No
40%

Total votes: 194
Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Are to unhappy Steve Clark is staying?

by Extended-Phenotype » 20 Nov 2015 11:59

genome Professional and romantic relationships are two entirely different things.

Contract work and permanent employment are two entirely different things too.

I'm a graphic designer and when I take on a client, accepting payments from them, and get them to invest in materials and cover expenses, they would be livid if I then fcuked off to chat with another client and flirt with ditching them, project incomplete and barely off the ground.

I don't think comparing this to going for an interview at Lidl is particularly helpful.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 20 Nov 2015 12:08

Stranded
Extended-Phenotype
Pepe the Horseman In the summer he cleared out the coaching staff and built his own team. Four months later, he meets with a team below us in the league, to see if they can offer him something better. If they had, he'd be gone. No qualms about ditching this project 16 games into his first full season. I just can't understand how people are ok with that. It's not like he's taken us as far as he can and is seeing what's out there. It's like applying for a new job when you're in your probation period.

Agreed.

I suppose it's whether you see it as simply a job like any other or its like a relationship.

If you are happy with your partner, you don't go on a date with someone else to see if they could be better.

If you are plodding along in a job you don't hate but it's really just a wage, you would be silly not to go on an interview with another company.

That said, if I had been hired to complete a project, spent company money setting it up and then half way through considered ditching it for another client, the first client would be well within their rights to be pissed off. So I'm not sure all the folks making direct comparisons with normal jobs is entirely sound.

And Nigel Howe was just as confused as we were.

Cool that some can let it slide. Me, I feel it's a bit shitty to go and see if something else might be better, when your work has only just begun. Shows the heart isn't really in it, and makes it very clear it won't take much for Clarke to consider dropping us like a stone.

Need some good results more than ever now. Pressure just got worse.

Whilst I can see what you are saying - the way football has gone, this is just the way of the world. Everyone looks after themselves, so whilst disappointment is understandable I'm finding it hard to be surprised or overly that bothered.

Yeah I get that. I don't think "well, everyone is a pcunt in the end" is particularly satisfying as an excuse though.

If he'd have had a couple of cracks at the championship with us, given it his bes shot and followed through on his overhauling of the club, fine: take a look at other offers that come in and weigh up your future.

But he's barely put our wallet away and wiped the ass prints off his boot.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 20 Nov 2015 12:32

Pepe the Horseman In the summer he cleared out the coaching staff and built his own team. Four months later, he meets with a team below us in the league, to see if they can offer him something better. If they had, he'd be gone. No qualms about ditching this project 16 games into his first full season. I just can't understand how people are ok with that. It's not like he's taken us as far as he can and is seeing what's out there. It's like applying for a new job when you're in your probation period.

This.

Over my career I have been contacted on numerous occasions by people (including people I've done a lot of business with) giving me job opportunities. I don't drop my trousers at the first opportunity.

Personally I think he's fcuked.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 20 Nov 2015 12:41

Stranded All seems fair enough to me.

Was headhunted, had a conversation, the full package (and it sounds like it is not just money) was not as it was sold so stayed where he was. Happens in every walk of life.

It's not like he's applied for the job there.

The only difference is managers often have contracts barring them from talking to other clubs.

So either
He has a contract with no (relevant) bars - odd
He forced the opportunity to talk to Fulham - bad because he then clearly wanted to leave and has questionable integrity
We allowed him to talk regardless of his contract - bad because it implies we don't care if he leaves

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 20 Nov 2015 12:49

Dismissive and arrogant quote about RFC being his "best option at this time". Your wholly mediocre record suggests you might not be our best option, Clarkey boy.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 20 Nov 2015 12:54

floyd__streete Dismissive and arrogant quote about RFC being his "best option at this time". Your wholly mediocre record suggests you might not be our best option, Clarkey boy.

Is that what he said?

What a twat. Get rid now.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 20 Nov 2015 12:56

The 'in any other walk of life' argument is a crock tbh.

If the manager of my local Tesco - or even the local theatre - was actively discussing alternatively employment I wouldn't care because as a 'customer' I have no real 'brand loyalty' to Tesco or my local theatre. I am not unrealistic enough to expect that these don't/shouldn't things happen, but I would ask for better than "I decided that what I had here was better for me at this stage."

I think Clarke seems about as good at PR as he does at football management. If results continue to be as mediocre as they have of late perhaps he won't be our problem for too much longer anyway.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 20 Nov 2015 12:57

leon Is that what he said?

What a twat. Get rid now.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34878852

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 20 Nov 2015 13:19

He has always been arrogant, always.

He thinks he is better than us, really don't understand how people can defend him TBH

I think Howe smells blood now anyway. Believe it or not, and whatever you think of them, it's great that we still have some of the old school here to sort this kind of shit out. The Thais will understandably be a bit green and naïve in this kind of situation at a football club.

Most annoying thing about all of this is that he isn't a good football manager at all. He thinks hi is but he really isn't.
Last edited by Lacoste on 20 Nov 2015 13:22, edited 1 time in total.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 20 Nov 2015 13:20

I don't really buy the any walk of life comparison either. It's not any other walk of life and isn't rewarded as such. Competitive sport involves a team ethic and commitment to the cause way beyond most normal walks of life and the manager needs to be the one setting the tone and example for that.

My biggest worry is that this sorry little saga will give players an excuse to drop their standards. We've seen it time and time again where players take any excuse to coast just a little bit and that can have a dramatic effect (I've commented many times before about how Fergie's retirement plans 10 years ago had that effect at United, to the extent that he changed his mind to right the wrong).

I'm not overly fussed about his decision to talk to Fulham in terms of Clarke himself (and I quite like what he's done for us) but I am worried about how it might sour the atmosphere at the club and dent this years chances of promotion.

Ultimately I think he's stitched himself up and he won't see the season out.

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 20 Nov 2015 13:24

Hoop Blah I don't really buy the any walk of life comparison either. It's not any other walk of life and isn't rewarded as such. Competitive sport involves a team ethic and commitment to the cause way beyond most normal walks of life and the manager needs to be the one setting the tone and example for that.

My biggest worry is that this sorry little saga will give players an excuse to drop their standards. We've seen it time and time again where players take any excuse to coast just a little bit and that can have a dramatic effect (I've commented many times before about how Fergie's retirement plans 10 years ago had that effect at United, to the extent that he changed his mind to right the wrong).

I'm not overly fussed about his decision to talk to Fulham in terms of Clarke himself (and I quite like what he's done for us) but I am worried about how it might sour the atmosphere at the club and dent this years chances of promotion.

Ultimately I think he's stitched himself up and he won't see the season out.

Yep, agreed in the main.

How can he have a go at a player for a lack of commitment and loyalty now?

Impossible situation for him and he's fcuked himself right in the arse.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 20 Nov 2015 13:24

I just heard that he hasn't been a Reading fan all his life after all.

Get rid.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 20 Nov 2015 13:27

LUX I just heard that he hasn't been a Reading fan all his life after all.

Get rid.

says the gravy train riding EU bureaucrat

Berry

by Berry » 20 Nov 2015 13:28

Ive tried the Steve Clarke approach on my marriage today, This morning I went out to a bar and met this lady who in the past had been quite beautiful although i had heard that lots of beauty treatments had been used in recent years and her overall image had dropped, She looked okish but when asked wasnt happy to do household chores or dress me in the morning, Im now back at home with my wife and fairly sure ive made the right decision to stay, but im still on the lookout for that perfect person

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 20 Nov 2015 13:30

LUX I just heard that he hasn't been a Reading fan all his life after all.

Get rid.

And his Trevor Senior tattoo isn't permanent either. These colours don't run, but in this case they might get smudged a bit.

Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Scutterbucketz » 20 Nov 2015 13:31

floyd__streete Dismissive and arrogant quote about RFC being his "best option at this time". Your wholly mediocre record suggests you might not be our best option, Clarkey boy.

Fukking hell! With passion and devotion like that I'm sure he's an inspiration to the dressing room.

Lacoste

by Lacoste » 20 Nov 2015 13:41

I think Bolton will be his last game. Either way.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 20 Nov 2015 13:49

Dismissive and arrogant about RFC. You've pretty much described yourself perfectly there Floyd.

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 20 Nov 2015 13:57

I am 100% committed to my job. For now. Until it suits be better to fūck off. Then that's just what I'll do.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 20 Nov 2015 13:59

Brutal honesty in the press conference :o

I guess that's to be commended

436 posts