RFC vs Derby - Result papers over some very serious cracks

185 posts
Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 09 Oct 2007 11:25

RoyalBlue
Denver Royal
Vision Just a question.

If last season hadn't happened and this was our first in the Premier Division, would those people ringing their hands in dismay now, actually be commending us on our fine start to the season.?

I doubt it. It wouldn't have taken long for the pi$$ing and moaning to start in earnest. The 'Coppell out!' brigade would have been in full force by Xmas.

I'm not sure they would have been moaning at Sir Steve. If we had started our first season (i.e 2006/07) in the manner we have this, I think the flack would have been justifiably aimed at the Chairman for hitting us with absolutely exhorbitant increases in season ticket prices (86% in the case of my family) to 'enable us to compete effectively at this level, whilst still maintaining a Championship wage structure.

People seem to have short memories and this year's freeze in season tickets appears to have pacified most, despite the fact the club should be considerably better off thanks to the increase in TV money coming into the PL.

Thats the interesting point though isn't it. If we were in the identical situation in our first season, surely it would be considered "competing effectively at this level" at least on the field anyway.

If we're talking about competing effectively in the transfer market then i guess thats a whole different discussion.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 09 Oct 2007 11:31

RoyalBlue
Denver Royal
Vision Just a question.

If last season hadn't happened and this was our first in the Premier Division, would those people ringing their hands in dismay now, actually be commending us on our fine start to the season.?

I doubt it. It wouldn't have taken long for the pi$$ing and moaning to start in earnest. The 'Coppell out!' brigade would have been in full force by Xmas.

I'm not sure they would have been moaning at Sir Steve. If we had started our first season (i.e 2006/07) in the manner we have this, I think the flack would have been justifiably aimed at the Chairman for hitting us with absolutely exhorbitant increases in season ticket prices (86% in the case of my family) to 'enable us to compete effectively at this level, whilst still maintaining a Championship wage structure.

People seem to have short memories and this year's freeze in season tickets appears to have pacified most, despite the fact the club should be considerably better off thanks to the increase in TV money coming into the PL.

Yes, but the other teams in the PL get the same increase too, so although we're better off in comparison to last year we're not relative to the teams we're competing against. So in terms of "buying power" compared to other teams we're no better off.

Having said that, though, the increase in money compared to Championship teams is, of, course, much bigger than before - so if we do go down we are even more likely to come back up then teams in the past.
The s

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 09 Oct 2007 11:33

RobRoyal Oddly, not that many people outside Reading fans themselves particularly think we're in trouble. With the bookies, for instance, we're between 100/30 and 6/1 for relegation, which puts 7 teams more likely to go down (everyone currently below us, minus Spurs).

Unfortunately these people aren't actually paying much attention to the way we've been playing.

As much as I think we've still got a very good chance to stay up this season (there are plenty of side that I think will finish below us) our performances, both as a team and as individuals, are quite worrying. Our squad looks a little exposed and weaknesses that are all to apparent haven't really been addressed.

I'm still confident that we'll finish above three teams but I'd much prefer it if we gave ourselves a better chance by playing the sort of football that Coppell has had us playing over the last 2 or 3 seasons rather than revert to the kind of stuff I was expecting when he took over.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 09 Oct 2007 11:38

Hoop Blah
RobRoyal Oddly, not that many people outside Reading fans themselves particularly think we're in trouble. With the bookies, for instance, we're between 100/30 and 6/1 for relegation, which puts 7 teams more likely to go down (everyone currently below us, minus Spurs).

Unfortunately these people aren't actually paying much attention to the way we've been playing.

As much as I think we've still got a very good chance to stay up this season (there are plenty of side that I think will finish below us) our performances, both as a team and as individuals, are quite worrying. Our squad looks a little exposed and weaknesses that are all to apparent haven't really been addressed.

I'm still confident that we'll finish above three teams but I'd much prefer it if we gave ourselves a better chance by playing the sort of football that Coppell has had us playing over the last 2 or 3 seasons rather than revert to the kind of stuff I was expecting when he took over.

I think we all would, but a lot of that comes from confidence and the right players being fit. A result like Pompey is bound to have affected players so that they'll not have the confidence and freedom to express themelves.

But I'm sure the better we do in the league then the more the confidence and freedom to play will come back.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 09 Oct 2007 12:43

Dirk Gently I think we all would, but a lot of that comes from confidence and the right players being fit. A result like Pompey is bound to have affected players so that they'll not have the confidence and freedom to express themelves.

But I'm sure the better we do in the league then the more the confidence and freedom to play will come back.

Absolutely agree on the confidence issue but I was refering to the performances against Bolton, West Ham, Sunderland and Wigan as much as the last two games.

Not having the right players available is of course a major problem. And one that is exaggerated by the lack of credible cover available to Coppell due to our tranfer policies. We're not the only ones either. I think the likes of Fergie and Mourinhio have left holes in their (ex)squads which have been exposed through injuries.

We never used to claim to be lucky with our injury record previously though so I don't think we can now we're at the other end of the problem.

185 posts