Back from the game......and really angry!

224 posts
Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 03 Jan 2008 09:45

That's one of the best rants on here, EVER! :lol:

willz_royal

by willz_royal » 03 Jan 2008 10:09

my grandad has just informed me that
"in yesterdays paper dean was given a 9/10 :shock: "

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 03 Jan 2008 12:43

Bill Oddie I'm still fuming ! I haven't been as angry at a match for many a year. As for you guys saying the ref got it right, your sooooooooooooo wrong !!!! I have just relived that rubbish on football first. Sonko brought him down, clear penatly, however just before sonko brought him down he had lost control of the ball and it was a good 8 yards infront of him. Yes give a pen but for gods sake a red card after 3 minutes ? Use some f+cking common sense, a yellow and a penatly is bloody enough. I have never left a game before the final whistle before but I really wanted to leave after that sending off as I really knew that was game over, in fact after the penatly miss I was inpassive as I knew we would lose and sat there in total silence, despite Y25 giving it a good go and I'm always up there singing and chanting but today I was so pissed off with that c*nt in yellow I wanted to go. Honestly after 3 minutes there was no reason to send anyone off, it just ruined the game for 24K people, a disgracefull decision. My theory is a black man from Reading ran off with his wife. How else can you explain in the last 3 Reading matches he has officatied he has sent off a Reading player (all of whom are black ?). Mr Dean you ae a f+cking, R+csit, ch+ating, c+nt who has no business back in our town, so F+CK OFF and don't come back. I honestly have never been so angry since Clive Wilks performance against Hull City in about "89" where I crashed my car upon leaving Elm Park in a rage. I HATE YOU DEAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Worse than Graham Poll, at least he had the common sense to retire, you Dean are a w+nker, w+nker, w+nker !

After blenting my slpeen I would just like to say how well I thought we battled, never gonna score though, but all credit to the team and especially to DLC who's crosse's were superb, everone aimed at a man. I really think he is a better option than Murts at the minute.

You need to take a deep breath before submitting!

One 'penatly' is a typo - 2 suggests a problem.
One 'vents' ones 'spleen' (but 'blenting' and 'slpeen' are a great new words, all you need now is a meaning for them and you might get them into the OED!).
'crosses' does not have an apostrophe.
It is 'you're' not 'your' soooooo wrong. (Actually they aren't wrong - but that's another issue).
Where did you find the word 'inpassive' from? It's not in my dictionary.
'disgraceful' has only one 'l'.

Just accept it. Once in a while our players do wrong, and they get punished for it. Sonko committed a stupid foul in a position that was bound to give the referee a thought about the red card. If that had been Sol Campbell at the same time in the same game and doing the same foul on Doyle there would have been calls for his blood. Just because it was a Reading player doesn't mean that we should get away with it.
Last edited by West Stand Man on 03 Jan 2008 16:02, edited 1 time in total.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 03 Jan 2008 12:58

Bill Oddie Yes give a pen but for gods sake a red card after 3 minutes ? Use some f+cking common sense, a yellow and a penatly is bloody enough.

Why should the punishment change depending on what minute it happens in?? If it was a red then it is a red whether it is 3 minutes in or 3 minutes from the end.

LOL @ people on here saying that he should have used common sense and not sent him off yet if the incident happened the other way round and the ref had used this 'common sense' on a Pompey defender 3 munites into the game they would be going mad at the decision and the lack of consistentcy.

chilipepper91
Hob Nob Regular

by chilipepper91 » 03 Jan 2008 13:03

soggy biscuit
Bill Oddie Yes give a pen but for gods sake a red card after 3 minutes ? Use some f+cking common sense, a yellow and a penatly is bloody enough.

Why should the punishment change depending on what minute it happens in?? If it was a red then it is a red whether it is 3 minutes in or 3 minutes from the end.

LOL @ people on here saying that he should have used common sense and not sent him off yet if the incident happened the other way round and the ref had used this 'common sense' on a Pompey defender 3 munites into the game they would be going mad at the decision and the lack of consistentcy.

Just out of interest (and hopefully proving this point), anyone remember Fulham away last year? Ian Pearce was sent off after 16 minutes for pretty much the same thing. Sure, it was 10 minutes later, but essentially the same thing. Everyone was sure he should have been sent off, and indeed he was. And the game ended there, pretty much. Now the tables have been turned.

purleyroyal

by purleyroyal » 03 Jan 2008 13:09

I still don't understand why a player gets sent off for denying a clear goal scoring opportunity (as opposed to a clear goal) when the punishment includes re-instating the clear goal scoring opportunity (a penalty).
:cry:

However, I do think that we adapted well to our circumstances and contained Portsmouth well (most of the time), and played to what were our then strengths (scoring from dead-ball situations).

I didn't think Portsmouth were very good considering they were a man up (maybe we made them look like that?) and could well understand why they have had difficulty scoring recently.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 03 Jan 2008 13:28

purleyroyal I still don't understand why a player gets sent off for denying a clear goal scoring opportunity (as opposed to a clear goal) when the punishment includes re-instating the clear goal scoring opportunity (a penalty).
:cry:

What is the foul was outside the box? Then you're not re-instating a clear goal scoring opportunity, you're giving a free-kick from which you're less likely to score. But then you have lunacy if you send off outside the box but don't inside it! No complaints, no-one to blame but Sonks.

purleyroyal However, I do think that we adapted well to our circumstances and contained Portsmouth well (most of the time), and played to what were our then strengths (scoring from dead-ball situations).

I didn't think Portsmouth were very good considering they were a man up (maybe we made them look like that?) and could well understand why they have had difficulty scoring recently.

Hmmmm, I'd like to think that but I'm not so sure. Don't forget that Portsmouth had also played 3 matches in the previous week - I reckon they actually played within themselves knowing that just about had the game sown up. I'm sure if they'd needed to do more they could have upped the pace and taken us to the cleaners.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 03 Jan 2008 13:28

purleyroyal I still don't understand why a player gets sent off for denying a clear goal scoring opportunity (as opposed to a clear goal) when the punishment includes re-instating the clear goal scoring opportunity (a penalty).

Agreed

Stupid rule.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 03 Jan 2008 13:33

Gordons Cumming

Agreed

Stupid rule.

What if they then miss the penalty, what punishment was there?

If there was no red card attached to challenges like Sonko's you'd have defenders trying anything (legal or otherwise) to stop the shot knowing that they'd only give away a pen and have a better chance of not conceding.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 03 Jan 2008 13:45

Stranded
Gordons Cumming

Agreed

Stupid rule.

If there was no red card attached to challenges like Sonko's you'd have defenders trying anything (legal or otherwise) to stop the shot knowing that they'd only give away a pen and have a better chance of not conceding.

The game is an entertainment I believe?

It would have saved ruining the game for 20,000 odd people!!

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 03 Jan 2008 13:47

Gordons Cumming The game is an entertainment I believe?

I am sure that the Portsmouth supporters would have been upset at the game being ruined in their favour after 3 minutes.

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 03 Jan 2008 14:01

Gordons Cumming
Stranded
Gordons Cumming

Agreed

Stupid rule.

so you wouldn;t send them off if their from the home team coz it ruins the game for the majority of the support?

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 03 Jan 2008 14:04

weybridgewanderer
Gordons Cumming
Stranded
Gordons Cumming

Agreed

Stupid rule.

so you wouldn;t send them off if their from the home team coz it ruins the game for the majority of the support?

I think it is an unfair rule and referees should use a little common sense.

Oh yeah, and who cares about the away supporters, we were at home!! :wink:

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 03 Jan 2008 14:06

floyd__streete

I am sure that the Portsmouth supporters would have been upset at the game being ruined in their favour after 3 minutes.

It doesn't matter who got sent off, it ruined the game as a contest.

They give out cards to easily nowadays and it ruins too many games.
Can't they (The FA ) use their brains and come up with a better solution?

Old Biscuitman

by Old Biscuitman » 03 Jan 2008 14:58

Gordons Cumming
floyd__streete

It doesn't matter who got sent off, it ruined the game as a contest.

They give out cards to easily nowadays and it ruins too many games.
Can't they (The FA ) use their brains and come up with a better solution?

Brains and FA? You ask for too much.

purleyroyal

by purleyroyal » 03 Jan 2008 15:01

Stranded
Gordons Cumming

Agreed

Stupid rule.

A yellow card is a punishment.
And there's a difference between a handball on the line, or the goalkeeper hauling a player down when otherwise he's onto an empty net, and a 'last man but the keeper' foul.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 03 Jan 2008 16:44

You could have an automatic penalty and a yellow card for denying a clear goal-scoring opportunity whether inside or outside the box, and save the straight red for dangerous play.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 03 Jan 2008 16:56

Just to make it doubly stupid, Sonko should have had the common sense to try and make the challenge outside the box - he had plenty of time then. Then, if it was a foul, he might still have been sent off, but they'd not have got a penalty.

But to let the player run into the box and then foul him really is the worst of all situations.

Broxroyal

by Broxroyal » 03 Jan 2008 17:15

chilipepper91
soggy biscuit

Just out of interest (and hopefully proving this point), anyone remember Fulham away last year? Ian Pearce was sent off after 16 minutes for pretty much the same thing. Sure, it was 10 minutes later, but essentially the same thing. Everyone was sure he should have been sent off, and indeed he was. And the game ended there, pretty much. Now the tables have been turned.

Funnily enough Coppell sympathised with Pearce and said the law was an ass. MOTD pundits disagreed, however, and said Pearce had to go.
On this occasion Tony Adams, as a former defender, sympathised with Sonks and thought it was a bit unfair.
My own view is that Sonks can have no complaints and needs to wise up.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 03 Jan 2008 17:36

West Stand Man One 'vents' ones 'spleen' .

Afraid not. One vents one's spleen.

HTH.

224 posts