Arsenal Match Thread

196 posts
earleyroyal

Re: Arsenal Match Thread

by earleyroyal » 19 Apr 2008 21:29

Well obviously the main objective was to get points, however that was never going to happen whatever team we put out, so if I was in charge my main objective would be to find out something, anything, useful about our most effective lineup which could be taken to Wigan. For me Bikey showed he could excel in a central midfield spot, which was the best thing to come out of today.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 19 Apr 2008 21:36

whatever you think about SSC's team selections today, it was evident (from our alternatives plucked from the squad) just who ISN'T up to the standard required.

Today was a lose lose game

The clever psycology from SSC today will fire some chillies up some of our "precious dropped ones" scalded arses.

0-2 away at Arsenal? I would've settled for that back in August

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 19 Apr 2008 21:39

zummerset God no must win final match at Derby.

What, you think we could be safe before the Derby match???!!! Come on, pleeeeeze. The best we can hope for is that it will be in our hands by the time Derby comes round i.e. win and we stay up. Second best is that we have to rely on others slipping up even if we beat Derby. The other alternative, possible but unlikely, is that we're already down by the time we come to play Derby.

Tilehurst Mike

by Tilehurst Mike » 19 Apr 2008 22:16

AthleticoSpizz whatever you think about SSC's team selections today, it was evident (from our alternatives plucked from the squad) just who ISN'T up to the standard required.

The clever psycology from SSC today will fire some chillies up some of our "precious dropped ones" scalded arses.

Clever pschology--what a joke. That was a shambles of a performance after all the bleatings in the press that we could get a result. Kebe over Little--what a joke. Coppell still sits there with that clueless grin on his face. Having created absolutely nothing in the last three games, I just can;t see where the next point/goal is coming from. Sorry but wrong time to be seen to be experimenting with the team. It started off as 'we have eight cup finals' We now have three.
What a really dismal/disappointing season this has been through poor management from the top to the bottom.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 19 Apr 2008 22:33

Tilehurst Mike
AthleticoSpizz whatever you think about SSC's team selections today, it was evident (from our alternatives plucked from the squad) just who ISN'T up to the standard required.

Clever pschology--what a joke. That was a shambles of a performance after all the bleatings in the press that we could get a result. Kebe over Little--what a joke. Coppell still sits there with that clueless grin on his face. Having created absolutely nothing in the last three games, I just can;t see where the next point/goal is coming from. Sorry but wrong time to be seen to be experimenting with the team. It started off as 'we have eight cup finals' We now have three.
What a really dismal/disappointing season this has been through poor management from the top to the bottom.
I thought SSC made a decent call today (not a joke Tilehurst Mika)..his point being that we had lost this game the moment we got promoted many moons ago.....the point that needed rubbing into one or two players faces

t'would be nice to revisit this post in a few weeks time

Richi Royal

by Richi Royal » 19 Apr 2008 22:46

Tilehurst Mike

I think there was a combination of things behind this team selection, firstly it was telling hunt, shorey etc you are not guarenteed a start...shorey is a arsenal fan and would have been gutted to not even be on the bench today but it was totally deserved after recent performances. Hopefully it will fire a rocket up their arse to perform for the last 3 games. Secondly, going into the last 3 games he wanted to see who will battle to the death, i.e. if we are losing 3-0 with 15 minutes left who will carry on fighting and who gives up. Thirdly if any of his 'reserves' are able to slot into premiership football i.e. convey, kebe etc for the last 3 games and finally to give his 'star' (and i use the term VERY losely) a rest to galvanise them for the run in.
He, like me and like most knew we were going to lose today no matter what team we played, arsenal didnt get out of 2nd gear and if they needed to could have had 3, 4, 5 more. So instead he tried to get something else out of the game such as the thing listed above....the only thing is where was Little... a great oppertunity to get 90 or even 30 under his belt.
And, if Henry is worse than Kebe and Oster then he may as well retire now and find a new career... and i am not saying he is becuase he has impressed alot this season but if he is better than Kebe or Oster then he should start on merit and not be denied a place based on the fact kebe was signed in jan and deserves a chance.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 19 Apr 2008 22:48

Moreover, if anyone at the club approached this game with a 'well, we are going to lose so I'll try this' attitude, then I don't personally want them at the club next season.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 19 Apr 2008 22:51

cmonurz Moreover, if anyone at the club approached this game with a 'well, we are going to lose so I'll try this' attitude, then I don't personally want them at the club next season.
like it needed saying :roll:

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 19 Apr 2008 22:58

If we'd already 'lost' the game, why didn't we select a team and a method of playing more likely to have a go at Arsenal and fluking a point or heaven forbid a win!

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 19 Apr 2008 23:03

AthleticoSpizz
cmonurz Moreover, if anyone at the club approached this game with a 'well, we are going to lose so I'll try this' attitude, then I don't personally want them at the club next season.

Clearly it did, or at least there are a number of posts which seem to accept this is the approach that was adopted today, and few seem that bothered about it.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 19 Apr 2008 23:09

Southbank Old Boy If we'd already 'lost' the game, why didn't we select a team and a method of playing more likely to have a go at Arsenal and fluking a point or heaven forbid a win!
why not check out some of the fringeees' ?........and non better a test than today

some passed, some failed, either way, I am glad to see the team getting mixed up.

Next season in the Prem will see some fond farewells and some bold changes of tenancy to our preferred team line ups.

Bear with it, after all, it took a lot of you, a lot of dire seasons to get to this moment

Quit the criticism and enjoy the scrap (not always spelt with an "s")

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 19 Apr 2008 23:11

cmonurz
AthleticoSpizz

Clearly it did, or at least there are a number of posts which seem to accept this is the approach that was adopted today, and few seem that bothered about it.
"few" being the operative word

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 19 Apr 2008 23:12

Now is not the time to be experimenting, and if your going to experiment let them go out and play their game, dont enforce that system on players as you won't see what their capable of.

If Coppell was using the game to rest a few legs or give a few a kick up the arse then fair enough, I can see the logic in that, but if you think he's looking at how Kebe or Fae might win us the Wigan or Derby games then that style of play means any performance is irrelevant.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 19 Apr 2008 23:14

AthleticoSpizz
Southbank Old Boy If we'd already 'lost' the game, why didn't we select a team and a method of playing more likely to have a go at Arsenal and fluking a point or heaven forbid a win!
why not check out some of the fringeees' ?........and non better a test than today

some passed, some failed, either way, I am glad to see the team getting mixed up.

Next season in the Prem will see some fond farewells and some bold changes of tenancy to our preferred team line ups.

Bear with it, after all, it took a lot of you, a lot of dire seasons to get to this moment

Quit the criticism and enjoy the scrap (not always spelt with an "s")
and if that doesn't make the EP on Thursday then I an cancelling my daily subscription :D )

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 19 Apr 2008 23:29

Will the Hleb/Murty incident make it to Lancaster Gate?

had it been the Murty/Hleb incident it would've resulted in a Red

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 19 Apr 2008 23:35

AthleticoSpizz Will the Hleb/Murty incident make it to Lancaster Gate?

had it been the Murty/Hleb incident it would've resulted in a Red

I agree with you completely. Hleb was a total w*nker. I mean Murty's hardly a cheat is he? Murty clearly said 'he punched me' and I believe him. I thought after that incident we played with a bit more bite.

Oh and now that Charlton can't get in the playoffs surely Lita can come back. All hands to the pump and alla dat jazz eh?

196 posts