Reading second favourites to win league

214 posts
Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Reading second favourites to win league

by Royalee » 04 Jun 2008 03:10

londinium
If you want to add in 2001/2002 when Coppell's Brentford ended up well above Jewells Wigan in the same division then there is another one for Sir Steve...by far the greatest manager that Reading has ever seen!!!!!

Mark McGhee and Alan Pardew both left the club one division higher than when they took over with poorer resources than Coppell has had. Coppell currently has us in the same division as when he took over some five years ago and there is currently no plausible evidence to indicate that we are a stronger squad than when he took over. Therefore, I find your ludicrous claims somewhat far-fetched.

Don't get me wrong, we've enjoyed some good times under him, but I've been downright embarassed to be a Reading fan in the last twelve months given the amount of time Sir Steve has spent talking to club down into a hole, boring the watching public and making shit tactical decisions.

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 04 Jun 2008 05:39

Royalee
Wycombe Royal
SpaceCruiser Coppell >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jewell.

FACT.

OPINION. :wink:

Indeed - we shall see come the end of next season. I hope for our sake you're right Spacey.

It won't matter what happens next season. If Jewell finishes above Coppell, you will still have quite a few in here saying Coppell >>>>>>>Jewell.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 04 Jun 2008 07:34

Royalee Oh, and it might be interesting for you to look at the fortuity of Norwich bidding £500k for the most overrated player in our squad back then for Convey to flourish - I pray that Sunderland offer decent money for Stephen Hunt, the winger who can't beat a man, cross or shoot but somehow is critically acclaimed by our deluded support in order for us to strengthen where is critically required.

Now let's have a think. Might it not have been Norwich paying £500k for a player who was under-rated by fans? A player who went on to skipper Leeds in a season that saw them over come a 15 pt deduction and narrowly miss on automatic promotion.

When it comes to player analysis I'll bow to the man with the real knowledge and experience (ie not you or me).

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 04 Jun 2008 10:11

West Stand Man
Royalee Oh, and it might be interesting for you to look at the fortuity of Norwich bidding £500k for the most overrated player in our squad back then for Convey to flourish - I pray that Sunderland offer decent money for Stephen Hunt, the winger who can't beat a man, cross or shoot but somehow is critically acclaimed by our deluded support in order for us to strengthen where is critically required.

Now let's have a think. Might it not have been Norwich paying £500k for a player who was under-rated by fans? A player who went on to skipper Leeds in a season that saw them over come a 15 pt deduction and narrowly miss on automatic promotion.

When it comes to player analysis I'll bow to the man with the real knowledge and experience (ie not you or me).

The man who was dropped for the League 1 playoff final because he's shit? :lol: You really are clutching at straws aren't you?

TommyF
Location: sitting on the dock of the bay, watching the royals sail away

by TommyF » 04 Jun 2008 10:47

Royalee
londinium
If you want to add in 2001/2002 when Coppell's Brentford ended up well above Jewells Wigan in the same division then there is another one for Sir Steve...by far the greatest manager that Reading has ever seen!!!!!

Mark McGhee and Alan Pardew both left the club one division higher than when they took over with poorer resources than Coppell has had. Coppell currently has us in the same division as when he took over some five years ago and there is currently no plausible evidence to indicate that we are a stronger squad than when he took over. Therefore, I find your ludicrous claims somewhat far-fetched.

Don't get me wrong, we've enjoyed some good times under him, but I've been downright embarassed to be a Reading fan in the last twelve months given the amount of time Sir Steve has spent talking to club down into a hole, boring the watching public and making shit tactical decisions.
Mark McGhee and Alan Pardew both left whilst on the up - and are now hated for not sticking with the Royals. Hed Copps left 1 year ago today to manage a bigger club would you be even remotely doubting his ability as our best ever manager - no, you'd be too busy slagging him off for being unloyal and moneygrabbing. Don't say Pardew and McGhee were better managers just because they didn't stick around once they knew they'd taken the club as far as they could and looked for a better payday before it all went south for them at Reading, which given our resources was always likely. Neither stayed as long as Copps and that could well have cemented their places in History - neither got us to the Premiership and you don't know if either could have done. Afterall, Pardew got the just relegated Charlton to 11th in the Championship - what a hero!

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 04 Jun 2008 10:53

Last edited by Thaumagurist* on 25 Jun 2010 21:39, edited 1 time in total.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 04 Jun 2008 11:09

Thaumagurist* :roll: @ RoyaLOLee.

If you look at McGhee and Pardew's records, they will say that they left Reading after about 3 to 4 years and left Reading in a higher division. By comparison, in the same length of time, Coppell also had Reading in a higher division. Do you think that had McGhee and Pardew stayed, Reading could have done better or worse? We'll never know now because both are traitors and deserve all the scorn they get.

LOL

Denver Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Denver Royal » 04 Jun 2008 12:55

TommyF Don't say Pardew and McGhee were better managers just because they didn't stick around once they knew they'd taken the club as far as they could before it all went south for them at Reading, which given our resources was always likely.

Why was that likely? Apparently its a well known FACT in here that any Reading manager is given the full financial backing by the chairman and there are plenty of resources made available. Coppell allegedly had loads of money to use last season but (foolishly) he chose not to use it. So quite why any manager would want to leave is rather puzzling, huh? Then again, maybe not. :|

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 04 Jun 2008 13:13

Denver Royal
TommyF Don't say Pardew and McGhee were better managers just because they didn't stick around once they knew they'd taken the club as far as they could before it all went south for them at Reading, which given our resources was always likely.

Why was that likely? Apparently its a well known FACT in here that any Reading manager is given the full financial backing by the chairman and there are plenty of resources made available. Coppell allegedly had loads of money to use last season but (foolishly) he chose not to use it. So quite why any manager would want to leave is rather puzzling, huh? Then again, maybe not. :|

Both went to bigger, much higher profile clubs and equally we were both of their first management jobs so were always likely to be seen as something of a stepping stone. Not sure how anybody would expect us to financially compete with clubs whose average attendances were around twice that of ours. McGhee might have had a point as regards a lack of funds but Pardew was given plenty when we were in the 3rd tier and had just laid out for Goater and Murray when he jumped ship.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 04 Jun 2008 15:14

as an appalling act of deliberate sabotage

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 04 Jun 2008 17:53

Royalee
West Stand Man

The man who was dropped for the League 1 playoff final because he's shit? :lol: You really are clutching at straws aren't you?

You mean the man who was dropped for the play off final they lost? Wasn't he also dropped just before their string of losses after McAllister took over?

Suggests he was rather crucial to the side to me.

Just as he was to us until we got a high quality winger and some more quality cover elsewhere.

Also, who forced Norwich into paying that much for the player? Could it be the same manager who got Sunderland to pay £2.5m for Halford...

Good at moving on players for more money than you'd expect isn't he!

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 04 Jun 2008 17:55

Andy Hughes did a good job for us and, utterly expectedly, when we sold him for more than he was worth, we brought into the side better players.

Let us all hope that the strong similarities between him and Hunt continue.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 04 Jun 2008 18:02

papereyes Andy Hughes did a good job for us and, utterly expectedly, when we sold him for more than he was worth, we brought into the side better players.

Let us all hope that the strong similarities between him and Hunt continue.

Didn't we bring in Makin & Gunnarsson when Hughes left and bring Convey through?

I'd argue that shows he was so important to us in terms of squad cover and versatility we actually needed 3 players to replace him with. And all his equal or better in their respective positions.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 04 Jun 2008 18:06

I thought Hughes was crap in the Championship but I (like most of his non-fans) always said he was in a League too high for him. Div 1 is his level and now that he has found it again I'm not surprised he is doing okay.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict

by papereyes » 04 Jun 2008 18:13

Royal Rother I thought Hughes was crap in the Championship but I (like most of his non-fans) always said he was in a League too high for him. Div 1 is his level and now that he has found it again I'm not surprised he is doing okay.

I think he was immense for us in '02-'03 and a big part of that side.

He wasn't as good again but, as pointed out, he covered a lot of positions and was, to some extent, undroppable from a team aspiring to the play-offs of the Championship.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 05 Jun 2008 17:41

Thaumagurist* McGhee and Pardew.....both are traitors and deserve all the scorn they get.

Did they sell state secrets to the Russians?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 05 Jun 2008 18:53

floyd__streete
Thaumagurist* McGhee and Pardew.....both are traitors and deserve all the scorn they get.

Did they sell state secrets to the Russians?

Did you not hear MI6 picked them up yesterday?

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 12 Jun 2008 22:47

Derby have only made the seven signings so far...

Apparently nobody does business at this time of year though. :lol:

SAVE OUR STEVE!

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 13 Jun 2008 09:06

Royalee Derby have only made the seven signings so far...

SAVE OUR STEVE!

Even the Derby fans would prefer a bit of quality ahead of quantity. Fans of other clubs are likening them to Leicester, signing lots of mediocre players and on their way to League One. I don't think they will be that bad but none of their signings are setting the world alight.

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 13 Jun 2008 12:52

Royalee Derby have only made the seven signings so far...

SAVE OUR STEVE!

LOL@ Royalee for using Derby as a yardstick for anything except how to be the laughing stock of the entire country.

214 posts