Simon Church

222 posts
Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Simon Church

by Wycombe Royal » 29 Mar 2010 16:11

specialjon
Wycombe Royal Church won the penalty in mid week through his own good work, and almost scored on Saturday

Wow, he won a penalty and nearly scored!!!!! I'm surprised Real Madrid haven't bought him with those performances.........

"special" is very appropriate for you......

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 29 Mar 2010 16:12

FiNeRaIn
Wycombe Royal
almost scored on Saturday with what were practically his first touches of the ball.

Umm, should have scored a chance that was an absolute sitter to any professional footballer...yes. It says more about his short comings than he strengths that he missed. It cost us the game.

As should Kebe have scored, but not every one on one is scored in professional football, in fact a lot are missed even by top pro's in the Premiership........

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 29 Mar 2010 18:43

FiNeRaIn
Wycombe Royal
almost scored on Saturday with what were practically his first touches of the ball.

Umm, should have scored a chance that was an absolute sitter to any professional footballer...yes. It says more about his short comings than he strengths that he missed. It cost us the game.

Give it a rest. Presumably Siggy and Kebe didn't miss similar sitters on Saturday.
Silly thread this. The lads scored 10 from 25 League and Cup start so far this season. Thats very decent in his first proper season at this level.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 29 Mar 2010 19:08

PEARCEY
FiNeRaIn
Wycombe Royal

Give it a rest. Presumably Siggy and Kebe didn't miss similar sitters on Saturday.
Silly thread this. The lads scored 10 from 25 League and Cup start so far this season. Thats very decent in his first proper season at this level.

+1 - Church is a very good player. Watched MOTD on Saturday and plenty of PL strikers also missed easy chances.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 29 Mar 2010 19:30

Typical HNA? Mongs out on a fishing trip.

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 30 Mar 2010 01:02

Thought Church didn't do a job of holding up the ball Saturday compared to what Long was doing, feel he cost us in other ways as WBA were allowed to crank up the pressure because of it.

specialjon

by specialjon » 30 Mar 2010 11:17

[/quote]"special" is very appropriate for you......[/quote]
Hence the name. Glad to see you've come back with a valid arguement, rather than just going for the personal angle.

Church is a decent young player, but using the evidence that he nearly scored and won us a penalty isn't exactly compelling evidence. For me he's a second striker to support an out and out goal scorer or he should be an attacking winger.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 30 Mar 2010 11:24

specialjon Hence the name. Glad to see you've come back with a valid arguement, rather than just going for the personal angle.

Church is a decent young player, but using the evidence that he nearly scored and won us a penalty isn't exactly compelling evidence. For me he's a second striker to support an out and out goal scorer or he should be an attacking winger.

It was a sarcastic response, in reply to your sarcastic comment. Where was your valid argument?

If I can't use evidence of what a player does on the pitch to assess his abilities then what evidence can we use? How quick he down a pint? How fast his car is?

The fact is that Church contributed more in an attacking sense in his few minutes on the pitch in those two matches than Shane Long did.

I have not said that he is a world class player, in fact I said he is doing no better or worse than ealier in the season, so I;m not sure where your Real Madrid comment came from.

specialjon

by specialjon » 30 Mar 2010 11:39

Talking about when he has scored goals is better evidence, than when he nearly scored and winning penalties. So talk him up, talking about his goal against derby and his great finish against sheff wed.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 30 Mar 2010 11:46

specialjon Talking about when he has scored goals is better evidence, than when he nearly scored and winning penalties. So talk him up, talking about his goal against derby and his great finish against sheff wed.

I'm sorry I didn't realise that the only attribute strikers needs is to score goals.

On Saturday he got himself a goalscoring chance within seconds of coming on, something which Long failed to do for the entire first half and nearly all the second half. If you can get yourself in to positions to getchances then you will score, but you won't score every chance.

As for winning the penalty, it was a great piece of individual skill to turn the player and get in to the box and there is every chance he would have scored had he not been brought down.

However I must remember we can only talk about goals. :roll:

specialjon

by specialjon » 30 Mar 2010 12:16

I agree that a strikers all round play is important but when we play one up front, it's pretty important that our strikers score goals.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 30 Mar 2010 12:19

specialjon I agree that a strikers all round play is important but when we play one up front, it's pretty important that our strikers score goals.

10 goals in 25 starts and 9 subs appearances says he can (in what is his first season at this level).

Still Hate Futcher!

by Still Hate Futcher! » 30 Mar 2010 13:24

I'm not Church's biggest fan but he's done ok, especially considering this is his 1st season at this level. He works hard and although he doesn't look a natural finisher his goalscoring record's not bad at all. He gets caught offside more often than Nicky Forster but other than that he's coming along fine.

I'd be more than happy if we started nexted season with Long, Church, Rasiak and a fit again Hunt as our 4 strikers - given our chronic lack of attacking options pre-Christmas, it's somewhat surprising that a forward isn't a top priority any more!

marcusopp

by marcusopp » 30 Mar 2010 14:10

Still Hate Futcher! I'm not Church's biggest fan but he's done ok, especially considering this is his 1st season at this level. He works hard and although he doesn't look a natural finisher his goalscoring record's not bad at all. He gets caught offside more often than Nicky Forster but other than that he's coming along fine.

I'd be more than happy if we started nexted season with Long, Church, Rasiak and a fit again Hunt as our 4 strikers - given our chronic lack of attacking options pre-Christmas, it's somewhat surprising that a forward isn't a top priority any more!

Snap, thats a decent squad of strikers. Three exprienced and one developing (Church).
We look to have some decent depth out wide too, with Antonio impressing at Southampton.
It's all about keeping the squad together now. Full back will be a massive priority, but that's probably the easiest position to recruit/ adapt. I didn't see cummings play, is he any good?
I'd love to either get Bertrand on loan again, or sign him permanently.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 30 Mar 2010 15:04

marcusopp I didn't see cummings play, is he any good?

imagine a right sided Paolo Maldini

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 30 Mar 2010 15:07

Still Hate Futcher! I'm not Church's biggest fan but he's done ok, especially considering this is his 1st season at this level. He works hard and although he doesn't look a natural finisher his goalscoring record's not bad at all. He gets caught offside more often than Nicky Forster but other than that he's coming along fine.

Well he cost us 3 points on saturday (yes i know he was not the only one) but having seen his chance it was a 'golden opportunity'

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 30 Mar 2010 16:52

loyalroyal4life

Well he cost us 3 points on saturday (yes i know he was not the only one) but having seen his chance it was a 'golden opportunity'

Did we lose then?

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 30 Mar 2010 17:47

Ideal
leon

imagine a right sided Paolo Maldini

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I actually laughed out loud at this :lol:

I know!

He's definitely quicker than Maldini!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 30 Mar 2010 17:48

Saw him play three times. Looked nervous, but seemed to be getting better apart from the second half debacle against P'boro, but tbf the tactics were horrendus and the whole team looked shite.

Not bad going forward, but a bit suspect defensively. Similar to Bertrand in that a lot of it was lacking in experience. Positioning and the like a bit poor.

I think he could develop into a decent player, but had no chance playing in our woeful and clueless team at the time. Didn't see his worst game where Thomas apparently tore him apart though.

Certainly not what we needed this season, but I wouldn't rule out him playing a part next season.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 30 Mar 2010 18:38

Cummings was awful, one of the worst Reading players I can remember seeing since the 90's, I think it says it all the fact that we have since played gunnar, tabb, griffin and even james henry made a sub appearance at right back. He's a shocking player and one who I don't expect to see in a Reading shirt next season.

222 posts