708 posts
Gav
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Matt Mills

by Gav » 17 Mar 2010 11:05

Royal_Belly
Schards#2
Royal_Belly The booing only started after he stuck his finger up. FACT!
Immature and very sensitive reaction from Matt. FACT!

It was wrong of Matt to swear at the home fans - It isn't the first time he's received stick from fans and it's not going to be the last time either. He needs to get over it and man up by giving a MOTM performance against Boro on Saturday. FACT!

If you are a grown adult who is offended by the finger that was directed to the east stand you are a moron. FACT!

I did get frustrated with Matt last night but didn't boo him after the finger and didn't chant his name either - he was a naughty boy he didn't deserve either the booing or the cheering.

P.S Not everyone who sits in the east stand is a moron!

Sorry, but that is NOT a fact.

I heard a good fews boos (rather than groans) when he hoofed the ball out, I specifically remember it as I was so surprised by it. He THEN turned to the crowd etc......

They weren't booing any where near where I was I was sat in Y24 right in front of where Mills was positioned - they were sarcastically yelling out "hoof" everytime the ball fell at his feet. Why would they boo him before the gesture they had no need to boo him? They had every right to hoof him though!

Also from Y24, I heard a few sarcastic "hoofs" before the "incident" coupled with an almost unanimous groan as he persevered with a strategy that clearly wasn't working. The groans weren't even aimed exclusively at him as his team-mates were clearly teeing him up for that kind of long pass anyway.

I certainly didn't hear anything that could be described as a 'boo', if there were any, then it must have been from the tiniest minority, and he really needs to man up if a handful of numpties get to him so much to react so thoughtlessly. Like others, I also saw a couple of reactions from him earlier to the groans in the east stand and thought maybe I had misread it so didn't think anything of it. When he then gave us the finger later on, I realised I hadn't.

After he made the gesture, I was absolutely appalled (considering I'd not heard anything to warrant it) and booed his next touch of the ball, and I would again if I saw similar behavior from any of our players. I wasn't going to dwell on it, and didn't boo after that first touch, but he needed to be told that isn't the way to behave and I hope he learned his lesson. His missed his chance to apologise on the night, which is a shame, but I really hope Mac sits him down and explains how easy it is to win our affections back again; a little formal apology, a few good performances, and it's all water under the bridge.

The Surgeon of Crowthorne

by The Surgeon of Crowthorne » 17 Mar 2010 11:05

Royal Belly They weren't booing any where near where I was I was sat in Y24 right in front of where Mills was positioned - they were sarcastically yelling out "hoof" everytime the ball fell at his feet.
That's what I thought was being shouted - but then I sit in the North-East(ish) corner & it was the South-East(ish) that was shouting this - although there were a fair few around me that were also getting pissed off with the long diagonal ball into touch.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 17 Mar 2010 11:08

3 veesinarow Anyone who is upset and says the behaviour of Mills was unacceptable and outrageous to anyone with a kid at the game REALLY does need to look at themselves as they subject their kid to far worse forms of human behaviour every time their plonk their kid down in a seat at a football game.

That is more an example of what is wrong with the game.

Are you saying that kids should be allowed to have the opportunity to watch our national sport just because of a few morons who can't express themselves without swearing?

Kids should be able to go to football and that should not have to listen to yooofs and middle aged men who need to grow up shouting expletives everytime a pass is misplaced.

Turns8
Hob Nob Regular

by Turns8 » 17 Mar 2010 11:09

GET OVER IT...seriously...this just sums up the stupidity of alot of fans...

As many have stated...Mills is by far our best defender and those suggesting he should be thrown out of the club need to get a life...

As for the likes of Dellor 'DEMANDING' that Mills be sent up to apologise live on air after the match...really...get a grip...

The game was frustrating due to the tactics employed by Warnock and everything was abit edgy...things happen in the heat of battle...but the way we are playing currently is miles better than under BR...so get behind the players or if not then seriously think about attending games!!! simple as that...

Dave Gale

by Dave Gale » 17 Mar 2010 11:10

FWIW, my take was when Mills made his diagonal searching passes and they didn't work out the crowd would collectively groan in the same way as you would when somebody misses a sitter or a cross is shanked into touch. More out of frustration that play has broken down, rather than spite.

Mills put one out and he then turned and stood for a few moments assessing the East stand and then held up his finger and panned it across the area who remained vocal whilst he stared them down. I watched this while play went on elsewhere as i saw he was getting wound up.

Then his next touches got boos, until everyone else made amends by chanting his name towards the end. People next to me didnt see the incident and thought it was boos through poor play and were really clapping him, others who saw it were booing. I thought what he did was wrong in the context of what happened, but also felt it wrong to boo him...... i guess i sat on the fence!!

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 17 Mar 2010 11:12

Oh well,just 9 pages so far and I think it has only been two of the better posters in Floyd and MrA that have made the point that Mills was probably told by the manager and coaches to whack the ball long.
That is where the fans' frustration came in,not specifically regarding Mills,but the disappointment that our passing team of recent weeks had degenerated into a long ball side when with 10 v 11 the obvious thing to do is pass around the opposition and not hit endless long balls thereby giving the opposition a 50/50 chance.

The other point of course is how stupid is it to play long balls in the air to our worst header of a ball,Jimmy Kebe?
If the passes had been directed at Rasiak that would be understandable but they were clearly aimed at Kebe.
IMHO this was naive coaching and management and I would like to hear the manager come out this morning and say that Mills was playing to orders-if he wasn't and had taken it upon himself to go long every time then he deserves the reaction from the crowd-our recent improvement has come from playing a quick passing game not like Wimbledon of old.

Two other points.
Mills was known to be hot headed when playing down this way and it was put down to his age but you have to wonder whether this crops up more than we can see because in general footballing terms he is our best centre-back by far and yet Brendan didn't play him.

The other point that has cropped up here is the word "passion".
How thick are people who think that giving the finger or Andy Murray's shouting "Come on" or a cricket captain clapping are the only ways of demonstrating passion?
It's this whooping X-factor audience mentality that think "passion" is all about who shouts loudest.
The likes of Steve Sidwell or Jay Tabb just get on with it and win big tackles-they don't have to turn to the crowd and wave their arms about like a Beckham or a Rooney-they let their football do their talking and have their own sense of passion and don't sound off at all and sundry.

Dave Gale

by Dave Gale » 17 Mar 2010 11:13

Turns8 GET OVER IT...seriously...this just sums up the stupidity of alot of fans...

true, move on. It happened, i wouldnt call for his head. I'm sure it'll be dealt with internally. Everybody frustrated all round, at least we can agree Warnock's a c0ck.

Bossbluff

by Bossbluff » 17 Mar 2010 11:20

Ok guys, Mills should never have flipped the bird at the croud, Maybe should not have tried the same ball 3 times but 3 points are the key to this we won Mills played well and we are all happy. Everyone makes mistakes so lets just let it go and hope he plays well against boro.

Eastkentroyal

by Eastkentroyal » 17 Mar 2010 11:21

Ryan Bertrand leapt to the defence of Matt Mills after the centre-back’s one-finger gesture towards Reading fans during last night’s 1-0 win over QPR.

Mills was responding to the abuse he received from the East Stand after a wayward long ball to Jimmy Kebe.

Bertrand said he was shocked that a section of the Royals crowd had jeered his team-mate, saying: “I couldn't believe it. Millsy has been excellent for us especially over recent weeks.

“I think it got to him. As a professional you try not to let it get to you, but in fairness to the crowd, they then got behind him in the end. No player deserves that stick. He’s your own player. Get behind him, don’t boo him.”

Getting out of hand now - the local press are on to it - how long before a national follows it up?

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 17 Mar 2010 11:22

FiNeRaIn
Sarah Star There's only one Matt Mills!

I salute you!

Yeah, swearing at your own fans is something to be proud of.

Get back to the kitchen.

If only fans like you and the twats who decided to boo one of our best players for a few wayward passes would spend every match in your kitchens, incidents like this would never arise.

Whilst no one should condone Mat Mills for reacting in the way he did, this is yet more more proof that we would be better off without your money and your seat empty or sat on by a neutral.

It is now as clear as night following day that Jimmy Kebe's form this season has been adversely affected by the abuse he's been getting from the crowd and, given the huge impact his improved performances have had on recent results, had he not been booed just for his named being read out from the team sheet we might have seen our current form produced for more of the season.

Now, we have calls for one of the best centre halves in the division to leave the club because he let such people get to him.

Without this abuse there's every chance that a place in the playoffs would now be more than likely and the threat of relegation long forgotten.

Your money and League One or, your seat occupied by a Premiership glory hunter with you and your ilk at home in the kitchen screaming abuse at your trannys......................that's a tough one!!!

The Rouge
Hob Nob Regular

by The Rouge » 17 Mar 2010 11:24

The Events:

1) He whirled his arm at the crowd twice and looked angry when getting the stick and the boos.
2) He gave the finger to the east stand after staring for a while. Was fairly considered if passionate.
3) The (good) fans whou thought the booing was moronic clapped hi when he got the ball.
4) The fans chanted his name (after 1-0 it must be added)
5) At the final whistle he ran straight off, pushed a Reading backroom staff member out the way and I saw him take a kick at the air/wall/something in the tunnel.

The Rouge Thoughts:

1) Regardless of MattMillsGate, the crowd were very very quick to groan and turn on the team. Support has an effect and helps create more wins. To get on the team's back so early said to me - spoilt. Sadly, I have thought this many times about Reading's fans.
2) He looked for that ball to Kebe a lot of times. It may have been a half time directive.
3) The passing was pretty bad/misjudged apart from the lovely Bikey-esque raking pass to Kebe.
4) Giving the finger to the crowd in that considered way, is not really on despite the provocation from the morons. I don't really care personally, and perhaps we have had a lack of passionate fiery players in recent years, but the point remains IMO.
5) In the last 10 mins when we were looking for the win - I thought he was great. He is a scruff-of-the-neck type player and I hope this doesn't affect things.
6) The worst bit of the behaviour was probably ignoring all the claps and the cheers/chanting for him and running straight off at the end - but he was clearly affected by it.
7) Some of the 'hardcore' fans who (admirably) travel all around the country following RFC do need to take a look at themselves. I don't know if you have simply been spoilt over the last 10 years, or if you enjoy the excessive criticism of players, but I come from a school of thought that if the manager picks them I just want them to give 100% and do their best. Sure, sometimes they have bad games, but if that is not enough for you then I think you are a bit foolish and contributing to lost points for RFC.
Last edited by The Rouge on 17 Mar 2010 11:27, edited 1 time in total.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 17 Mar 2010 11:24

Only Reading fans could be so faux-outraged to this extent. It was a finger in the air, wow, big deal.

Man up and deal with it.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 17 Mar 2010 11:26

Oh get over yourself Woodcote - you said yourself you weren't even going to last night's game.

I think there is confusion over whether people were saying "boo" or "hoof" and tbh it can be difficult to ascertain between the two sometimes.

Whatever the circumstances, I hardly think Bertrand, or any other player, getting involved with what they think, is going to help matters. It needs to die a death really.
Last edited by Royal Lady on 17 Mar 2010 11:29, edited 1 time in total.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 17 Mar 2010 11:27

soggy biscuit Only Reading fans could be so faux-outraged to this extent. It was a finger in the air, wow, big deal.

Man up and deal with it.

Exactly. I hope he doesn't say sorry apart from maybe to any kids who might have seen it.

3 veesinarow
Hob Nob Regular

by 3 veesinarow » 17 Mar 2010 11:28

Wycombe Royal
3 veesinarow Anyone who is upset and says the behaviour of Mills was unacceptable and outrageous to anyone with a kid at the game REALLY does need to look at themselves as they subject their kid to far worse forms of human behaviour every time their plonk their kid down in a seat at a football game.

That is more an example of what is wrong with the game.

Are you saying that kids should be allowed to have the opportunity to watch our national sport just because of a few morons who can't express themselves without swearing?

Kids should be able to go to football and that should not have to listen to yooofs and middle aged men who need to grow up shouting expletives everytime a pass is misplaced.

Nope, you're seeing something that isn't there. I'm not saying that kids shouldn't go - far from it. I was three when I was first taken onto the Southbank and 43 years later, the week-in, week-out experience of sitting amongst foul-mouthed apes hasn't damaged me enough to make me not want to go. Kids SHOULD be able to not have to listen to all that, I'm just making the point that far, far, far worse things are said and done in the stands every week than what Mills has done on the pitch.
How does anyone selectively say they think Mills has set a bad example to poor little kiddies when they are subjected to the moronic behaviour from people stood/sat three feet away from them and therefore much more likely to make inroads on impressionable young minds?

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 17 Mar 2010 11:30

Totally inexcusable reaction from a player despite the provocation from the moronic few (and that in itself was brought about by the frustration at the team's performance), however I should imagine he's more than a little upset by the incident.

He should be disciplined by the club, apologise to everyone and then it should all be forgotten. And the fans who go to Middlesbrough and Leicester should make sure he knows he has their support.

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 17 Mar 2010 11:30

FiNeRaIn People were frustrated he was hammering the ball out of play and told him - there is nothing wrong with that. They weren't getting on his back prior to that and haven't been in recent weeks either - I could maybe understand if he was subject to being singled out long term. In fact thats the first bit of abuse i've heard him given and even then it was a frustrated moan not down right spite aimed at him like others have suffered. Even the QPR players were running out to kebe every time matt mills got the ball it was that obvious and he had a success rate of less than 50% of finding his man

You don't middle finger your own fans...thats why he was boo'd after that and completely justified. In the MONTHS that kebe took abuse did he once do anything as unprofessional as that, did shane long either? No.

I thought matt mills was a top pro until tonight and I was saying how much I liked him and how down to earth he sounded in interviews. I was stunned at what I saw tonight and doubt i'll hold him in such high regard again.

Spot on

Tails
Hob Nob Regular

by Tails » 17 Mar 2010 11:31

^^^ Says the poster with '3 V's' as a username, you sure it hasn't affected you on a level that you haven't noticed?

:wink:

3 veesinarow
Hob Nob Regular

by 3 veesinarow » 17 Mar 2010 11:33

Tails ^^^ Says the poster with '3 V's' as a username, you sure it hasn't affected you on a level that you haven't noticed?

:wink:

Row V, Three of us... :lol:

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 17 Mar 2010 11:39

I've started to hate the East Stand, which is why I've moved to the North Stand. I was high up in the North Stand and I saw a lot of arm waving from fans in the middle lower section of the East Stand before Mills made the gesture. I thought that it was a bit of a moronic behaviour from those in the East Stand.

For years we have had a group of people who are so ready to boo players like Andy Hughes, Keith Jones and Jimmy kebe. I think those people are the usual lot who used to stand on the Tilehurst End at Elm Park.

708 posts