How Long Will BM Last at this rate?????

3209 posts
Jay o/

Re: How Long Will BM Last at this rate?????

by Jay o/ » 08 Dec 2012 17:45

Brian aint going anywhere until the fans turn on him, and they wont because they're so grateful of what he's done here; so get used to the shitty long ball football and prepare yourself for more long-ball next season in the Championship minus the good luck of last season and back to a midtable finish and the loss of key players who want to better themselves.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 08 Dec 2012 17:47

IMHO Brian's biggest achievement was turning us around from relegation candidates in the Championship to promotion contenders, not winning the division itself, which was built on something of a freak run of results.

He isn't cut out for this job, and I'm not convinced he'd be as effective were we relegated.

There are plenty of managers out there and I like the suggestion of Di Matteo on another thread. Sometimes a club needs a fresh injection of ideas and approach. Coventry City were utter dump under Thorn this season, but Mark Robins has steered em to 6 wins in 12 games since he took over, with the same group of players.

Jay o/

by Jay o/ » 08 Dec 2012 17:49

Agree change is needed and new ideas and a fresh approach to everything; training, match preparation, tactics, the lot. The players are not the unit they were last season, and without togetherness, this mediocre team will always struggle. Clear 2-3 out in Jan, bring 2-3 in, and repeat in the summer on a slightly bigger scale.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 08 Dec 2012 17:51

Colin Cheeselog Had Brian not done so well last season, and we’d finished in the play offs but not gone up, and were doing similarly again this season everybody would be happy with Brian. Because, in fact, he did better than that, people want him to be sacked. That doesn’t make much sense to me.

Did anybody seriously expect us to do much better this season than we are now? The best we could hope for is 2 places above where we are now, which with 22 games left is still very much a possibility.

Alternatively, who would have a better chance than Brian of getting us back up next year?

What doesn't make sense to me is people who adopt this view. He took us up, was given funds which he has squandered and is showing that he is incapable of changing things (e.g. 4-4-2, wingers, hoof) and is putting players on the bench who he then says aren't fit enough to bring on (Guthrie).

Do you think McDermott is being paid the same salary as last year or did he get paid more to work at this level? If the latter, then why is it wrong to expect him to perform at a higher level than he did last season?

And don't assume that if we go down, he will stand a good chance of getting us back up next year. The Championship has some damn good teams in it and good team spirit and hard work alone doesn't guarantee success.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 08 Dec 2012 17:52

I dont see anybody else coming in and improving things with the current squad. The problem is the lack of quality we have in the squad. I lay the blame at the owners door, this squad needs a 10-20m injection of players if they want to challenge at the bottom half

Colin Cheeselog

by Colin Cheeselog » 08 Dec 2012 17:55

RoyalBlue What doesn't make sense to me is people who adopt this view. He took us up, was given funds which he has squandered and is showing that he is incapable of changing things (e.g. 4-4-2, wingers, hoof) and is putting players on the bench who he then says aren't fit enough to bring on (Guthrie).

Do you think McDermott is being paid the same salary as last year or did he get paid more to work at this level? If the latter, then why is it wrong to expect him to perform at a higher level than he did last season?

And don't assume that if we go down, he will stand a good chance of getting us back up next year. The Championship has some damn good teams in it and good team spirit and hard work alone doesn't guarantee success.

Who would you have bought with £4.5M instead? At the time the majority of people on here were happy with the signings.

If you were paid more at work would you instantly perform better?

Who would have a better chance of getting us promoted?

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 08 Dec 2012 17:57

LoyalRoyal22 I dont see anybody else coming in and improving things with the current squad.

Which is exactly what people said when Rodgers was in charge.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Dec 2012 17:58

Colin Cheeselog
Did anybody seriously expect us to do much better this season than we are now?

I expected us to be hovering in and around the relegation zone struggling, but with a coherant game plan and just being beaten by too much quality a lot of the time.

I did not expect us to be cut adrift by 6 points after 15 games, look absolutely clueless and be capitulating pathetically to the majority of our relegation rivals.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 08 Dec 2012 17:59

Ian Royal
Colin Cheeselog

I expected us to be hovering in and around the relegation zone struggling, but with a coherant game plan and just being beaten by too much quality a lot of the time.

I did not expect us to be cut adrift by 6 points after 15 games, look absolutely clueless and be capitulating pathetically to the majority of our relegation rivals.

Some of us did try to warn you............ :wink:

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 08 Dec 2012 18:00

Colin Cheeselog
RoyalBlue What doesn't make sense to me is people who adopt this view. He took us up, was given funds which he has squandered and is showing that he is incapable of changing things (e.g. 4-4-2, wingers, hoof) and is putting players on the bench who he then says aren't fit enough to bring on (Guthrie).

Who would you have bought with £4.5M instead? At the time the majority of people on here were happy with the signings.

If you were paid more at work would you instantly perform better?

Who would have a better chance of getting us promoted?

How do you know he only had that much?

And what I wouldn't have done is blown what I had on players who like to play differently from my preferred style, try to force them to change and then drop them if they won't/can't change.

And if I was suddenly given a big increase, I would be expected to learn to work at a higher level PDQ.

McDermott is displaying severe learning difficulties and an unhealthy degree of resistance to change.

Avon Royal
LoyalRoyal22 I dont see anybody else coming in and improving things with the current squad.

Very good point!

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 08 Dec 2012 18:03

Avon Royal

Yeh but we had players with proven championship quality, this squad has minimal amount of players capable of peforming each week at this level

The Beardy Man

by The Beardy Man » 08 Dec 2012 18:04

Ian Royal
Colin Cheeselog

Quite, I expected us to struggle...but I expected it to be a close run thing. The whole club just looks shell shocked at the moment. Sometimes it just needs a change to refresh everything. Unfortunately McDermott just appears to be out of ideas.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 08 Dec 2012 18:04

How utterly humiliated Everton must feel now to have lost to this shower of shite.

Some may argue that Brian can get the best out of these Championship/League 1 players, however if their best is an unchecked relentless march towards relagtion, then we have nothing to lose by sacking him.

Think we should bring in Curbishley now as he nows how to scrap at the bottom of the table. Probably too little too late and I cannot see the club signing players on big wages if we are destined to go down, however it cannot get any worse.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 08 Dec 2012 18:12

Big Ern How utterly humiliated Everton must feel now to have lost to this shower of shite.

Some may argue that Brian can get the best out of these Championship/League 1 players, however if their best is an unchecked relentless march towards relagtion, then we have nothing to lose by sacking him.

Think we should bring in Curbishley now as he nows how to scrap at the bottom of the table. Probably too little too late and I cannot see the club signing players on big wages if we are destined to go down, however it cannot get any worse.

Curbishley? :shock:

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 08 Dec 2012 18:25

andrew1957 I have already said elsewhere we were dire today and we will get relegated even if Jose Morinhio took over this squad - so what is the point of sacking Brian when he is proven at Championship level.

The point is that if we have ambitions of establishing ourselves as a premiership team in the future then we need a manager who is capable of managing in this league.

Not sure Brian is that manager.

noelgallagher

by noelgallagher » 08 Dec 2012 18:33

Time to walk/go. But wont mean jack sh*t if the owners don't bring in players who are better and not of equal quality to what the team have now. Afraid it will be too late by that point.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 08 Dec 2012 18:33

It's not the results as much as the performances and direction we're taking that really makes me question McDermotts future. The squad building, the square holes into round pegs, the lack of quality improvements etc all make it look like mis-guided management since we went up.

The selections, tactics and substitutions this season also make me think another manager could get more from this squad as it is. Would it be too late to save us now? Probably because we're so far in the shit.

Is McDermott the best man to take us down and then carry on after? Maybe, but why would we go down and look to come straight back to repeat the same mistakes?

Who would we replace him with? There'll be some unknown quantities out there I'm sure, but both Poyet and Solskjaer would be interesting options.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 08 Dec 2012 18:36

buzzby danny guthrie ‏@dannyguthrie20

So disappointed and disheartened

That's him 'injured' until March then

blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

by blythspartan » 08 Dec 2012 18:37

If Brian stays we will get relegated, although he may be able to bring us straight back up again. The only worry is there are currently at least 5 teams in the Championship with a better squad than ours.

If we get a new manager with more tactical ability then we might just stand a chance. Paolo Di Canio could be the answer with his drive and passion.

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 08 Dec 2012 19:41

leon
Big Ern How utterly humiliated Everton must feel now to have lost to this shower of shite.

Curbishley? :shock:

Agreed please not Curbishley , if he was that good why has he been out of work for three years ? Another yes man

3209 posts