Thames Sports Investment

5145 posts
MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Thames Sports Investment

by MmmMonsterMunch » 15 Mar 2012 12:11

There are means & ways of hiding things....

who are ya?
Hob Nob Regular

by who are ya? » 15 Mar 2012 12:18

John Peel With new backers we'd have every chance of becoming an established Premiership club (mid-to-low-table).

Can't wait! :|

Tinrib

by Tinrib » 15 Mar 2012 12:20

MmmMonsterMunch There are means & ways of hiding things....

Yep , you're not wrong, however I'd bet that JM's risk assessment >>>>>>>>>anything the Football League could do...so from that standpoint, I'd hazard a guess that the homework has been done...

wingnut
Hob Nob Regular

by wingnut » 15 Mar 2012 12:41

The Due Diligence process is more about TSI investig8ing the club's finances than the other way round.

Tinrib

by Tinrib » 15 Mar 2012 12:46

wingnut The Due Diligence process is more about TSI investig8ing the club's finances than the other way round.

Correct. We were discussing Anton & the FL's due diligence tho...

PistolPete
Hob Nob Regular

by PistolPete » 15 Mar 2012 12:52

Tinrib
wingnut The Due Diligence process is more about TSI investig8ing the club's finances than the other way round.

Correct too. The worry is more about whether JM will give up his baby rather than whether TSI are 'able to pass the 'fit and proper' persons test.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 15 Mar 2012 12:55

Caveat Emptor >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Caveat Venditor

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 15 Mar 2012 12:55

MmmMonsterMunch Agreed - watching the Rangers story unfold I just hope & pray it doesn't happen to us.

Apparently, there's no evidence that Craig Whyte ever put a ha'penny into Rangers, but we already have evidence of TSI putting money into Reading, and I expect the Mullins money comes from them too. If there were hitches in the deal, I don't think the Mullins loan would have happened.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 15 Mar 2012 13:01

facaldaqui
MmmMonsterMunch Agreed - watching the Rangers story unfold I just hope & pray it doesn't happen to us.

Apparently, there's no evidence that Craig Whyte ever put a ha'penny into Rangers, but we already have evidence of TSI putting money into Reading, and I expect the Mullins money comes from them too. If there were hitches in the deal, I don't think the Mullins loan would have happened.

Loaning money. not putting money

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 15 Mar 2012 13:06

PistolPete
Tinrib

Correct too. The worry is more about whether JM will give up his baby rather than whether TSI are 'able to pass the 'fit and proper' persons test.

yeah cos hes seemed really against it so far

Dare to Dr£am
Hob Nob Regular

by Dare to Dr£am » 15 Mar 2012 13:10

Tinrib
Dare to Dr£am
MmmMonsterMunch Reading this article still makes me slightly nervous..

CSI as opposed to TSI

Antonov as opposed to Anton

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17365351

I really hope the the owners are fit for purpose & due diligence is thorough. Everything seems so rosy at the moment I am waiting for something bad to happen.

The Due Diligence process isn't worth a scrote! Zingarevich will fly through it without any problems. I'm sure something would have been leaked had there already been a problem with Stage 1, and that was submitted over 2 weeks ago now.

We just have to hope and pray AZ and TSI are the real deal and do have our best interests at heart, but sadly that is rarely the case in football.

Don't you think that JM would've already satisfied himself that all's Kosha about TSI, and the men behind it....

As best he possibly can, yes. That is very limited though.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 15 Mar 2012 13:13

By all accounts the fit & proper persons test doesn't even exist & most of the donkey work is done by the club. The FL have minimal involvement. Quite worrying really. There should be a designated department at the FA / PL / FL whatever.... that has a financial audit background with the relevant qualifications that go through all these takeovers with a fine toothcomb.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 15 Mar 2012 13:16

PistolPete
Tinrib

D'ya know what? If we went up I wouldn't give 2 sh1ts if it fell through. In fact secretly I hope it does....

Dare to Dr£am
Hob Nob Regular

by Dare to Dr£am » 15 Mar 2012 13:17

MmmMonsterMunch By all accounts the fit & proper persons test doesn't even exist & most of the donkey work is done by the club. The FL have minimal involvement. Quite worrying really. There should be a designated department at the FA / PL / FL whatever.... that has a financial audit background with the relevant qualifications that go through all these takeovers with a fine toothcomb.

Agreed, and when they aren't busy vetting new buyers, they should be checking clubs monthly accounts to ensure things don't get out of hand, and when they do they impose penalties and deadlines to meet those deadlines.

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 15 Mar 2012 13:30

Uke
facaldaqui

Loaning money. not putting money

Oh right, we must remember that if Anton is not completely mad he won't give money to a football club. Having accepted that he is not mad, he's not likely to lend money to a football club unless he is confident of it being paid back. It's more than likely that Anton's money made the Mullins deal possible. This may be the difference between playing PL football next season, or playing Champ football.

It looks as though we are doing things the right way and that if we go up, we have a very good chance of staying up. Compare that to Pompey and Birmingham who have both had success over the past few years, but at an enormous cost. I hope that peeople can see the difference between the Reading approach and that of Pompey and Birmingham (and other clubs).

In my opinion, and that of most right-thinking people, the future is very bright for Reading at the moment. Those that think it isn't are just doing the usual of trying to pick holes in anything the club does and, to be fair to them, they will continue to do this no matter what we do or how successful we are.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 15 Mar 2012 13:38

Not picking any holes, it's just the money isn't ours yet - the future is bright though whatever happens

#nosupernova

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 15 Mar 2012 13:40

Oh right, we must remember that if Anton is not completely mad he won't give money to a football club. Having accepted that he is not mad, he's not likely to lend money to a football club unless he is confident of it being paid back. It's more than likely that Anton's money made the Mullins deal possible. This may be the difference between playing PL football next season, or playing Champ football.

It looks as though we are doing things the right way and that if we go up, we have a very good chance of staying up. Compare that to Pompey and Birmingham who have both had success over the past few years, but at an enormous cost. I hope that peeople can see the difference between the Reading approach and that of Pompey and Birmingham (and other clubs).

In my opinion, and that of most right-thinking people, the future is very bright for Reading at the moment. Those that think it isn't are just doing the usual of trying to pick holes in anything the club does and, to be fair to them, they will continue to do this no matter what we do or how successful we are.[/quote]

Well sorry that's utter bollox. Given the state of football's finances I think people are absolutely right to be a bit anxious about this - doesn't mean they are "trying to pick holes in everything the club does". I'm happy with the manager, the squad, the academy, and generally I'm happy with our cautious approach in the transfer market. I hope TSI are the real deal god knows we are crying out for that extra little bit of investment. No one knows how this will turn out...not even you. We shall see.

When things sound to good to be true...they often are.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 15 Mar 2012 13:40

What %age stake is SJM selling? That would be 51%. I am not his biggest fan but even I have confidence that he will not sell the club to a bunch of con men. After all, he would still hold a 49% stake in the club and I would expect that he would want to ensure that what is left of his investment is secure.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 15 Mar 2012 14:00

Terminal Boardom What %age stake is SJM selling? That would be 51%. I am not his biggest fan but even I have confidence that he will not sell the club to a bunch of con men. After all, he would still hold a 49% stake in the club and I would expect that he would want to ensure that what is left of his investment is secure.

If these guys are not in for the long haul & want to make a quick buck, the fact remains they have first dibs to buy JM out & could then easily sell the club to god knows who for a tidy profit once/if we got to the Prem. Lets hope JM keeps his 49% for a long time.

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 15 Mar 2012 14:06

When you think about what Madejski has done for this club over the last twenty years or so, I just find it impossible to believe that he would risk losing that (and his 49% stake in the club) without him being as near certain as possible that TSI are the 'real deal'. It has been common knowledge that he has been looking for a buyer for some time now, and there have been rumours that buyers had been found. For whatever reasons, these supposed deals never happened. It is because of his careful approach that I believe that all is as OK as can be and that the Due Diligence tests carried out by the FL (and by Madesjski himself) will confirm this.

If you don't honesly think that there aren't people on this board who will try and find fault in whatever Madejski does, then I would suggest that you read back over this forum, but this time look a bit more carefully.

5145 posts