Take away the pens and free kicks....

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Take away the pens and free kicks....

by brendywendy » 01 Sep 2010 17:09

so, apart from scoring free kicks, and penaltys. having the vision to see a pass, being able to retain the ball under great pressure, putting bums on seats, making the fans feel better during the BR era, getting us 6 + million quid, and filling a gap on the wing. what did gylfi ever do for us?.............
Last edited by brendywendy on 01 Sep 2010 17:12, edited 1 time in total.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 01 Sep 2010 17:10

brendywendy so, apart from scoring free kicks, and penaltys. having the vision to see a pass, being able to retain the ball under great pressure, putting bums on seats, making the fans feel better during the BR era, and filling a gap on the wing. what did gylfi ever do for us?.............

Got us £6m.

Good lad.

Y21_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Y21_Royal » 01 Sep 2010 17:11

Technically very gifted and really dangerous from set plays but I was never convinced by the rest of his game. The RTG's are firmly on if people saw him as our main outlet and/or a physical presence. He was never very quick, bottled a lot challenges and went missing for very long periods. He'd then pop up and score from 30 yards.

£7m is a ridiculous sum for a 20 year old with only one season of first team football behind him and I still think (hope) that this could be a blessing in disguise.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 01 Sep 2010 17:23

TBM
Royalwaster
LoyalRoyalFan He picked out passes nobody else would see. He tried through balls rather than the long ball. He could get past players with ease.

Also, he was the only one who could score gaols from outside the area ... however, at the same time, he could very much go missing during games; I took a friend to watch the Forest games and I'd been telling him all about The Sig beforehand but then I thought he was pretty anonymous in the game ...

Same in the Scunny game, bar his goal....he was missing for the other 89 mins

What do you expect when you see the other 10 players around him?

Sig had too much quality to play in our team hopefully he will now be in a team that can compliment his ability

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 01 Sep 2010 17:26

TBM Nothing away from Sig but for a mere £2m more they could have signed Rafael Van der Vaart. I know who I'd rather have

We got a cracking price for him

It was a good price, without doubt.

I'd imagine Van der Vaarts wages are probably 5 or 6 times Sigurdssons though, and as we keep hearing the, German league doesn't allow clubs to over spend so I doubt they could afford the wages Spurs or Madrid can.

Y21_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Y21_Royal » 01 Sep 2010 17:26

loyalroyal4life
TBM
Royalwaster Also, he was the only one who could score gaols from outside the area ... however, at the same time, he could very much go missing during games; I took a friend to watch the Forest games and I'd been telling him all about The Sig beforehand but then I thought he was pretty anonymous in the game ...

Same in the Scunny game, bar his goal....he was missing for the other 89 mins

What do you expect when you see the other 10 players around him?

Sig had too much quality to play in our team hopefully he will now be in a team that can compliment his ability

So he was so good that the rest of the side were only able to drag themselves up to his level for 1 minute of the Scunthorpe game?

I don't think his abilities have ever been questioned but this deification of him seems to have it that it was Messi playing with Sunday League players!

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 01 Sep 2010 17:34

Siggurdson had an easy time last year becuase two men were marking MacAnuff initially and Kebe by the end of the season: there was so much space for him. He could well have found this season much harder, and would certainly have recieved some extra hard tackling. Overall, we don't know how good he would have been, or whether he would have survived the season without being injured.

I think we knew all we needed to know about Marek. He was shit.

Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

by Wax Jacket » 01 Sep 2010 17:37

Y21_Royal Technically very gifted and really dangerous from set plays but I was never convinced by the rest of his game. The RTG's are firmly on if people saw him as our main outlet and/or a physical presence. He was never very quick, bottled a lot challenges and went missing for very long periods. He'd then pop up and score from 30 yards.

£7m is a ridiculous sum for a 20 year old with only one season of first team football behind him and I still think (hope) that this could be a blessing in disguise.

hear hear, my thoughts exactly, a few of us were quietly putting the same over at the end of last season but happily it seemed to get ignored.

sheshnu

by sheshnu » 01 Sep 2010 17:37

Handsome Man Siggurdson had an easy time last year becuase two men were marking MacAnuff initially and Kebe by the end of the season: there was so much space for him. He could well have found this season much harder, and would certainly have recieved some extra hard tackling. Overall, we don't know how good he would have been, or whether he would have survived the season without being injured.

He started the season quite well though tbf

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 01 Sep 2010 17:39

Handsome Man Siggurdson had an easy time last year becuase two men were marking MacAnuff initially and Kebe by the end of the season: there was so much space for him. He could well have found this season much harder, and would certainly have recieved some extra hard tackling. Overall, we don't know how good he would have been, or whether he would have survived the season without being injured.

Reasonable point, but 2 great goals from open play in our first 4 games wasn't a bad way to start the season.

Y21_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Y21_Royal » 01 Sep 2010 17:41

RobRoyal

Reasonable point, but 2 great goals from open play in our first 4 games wasn't a bad way to start the season.

But that's all he does. Granted, its a pretty good contribution but I'd argue that you can only get away with doing sod all and then popping up to score if you're an out an out striker. Gylfi wasn't when he was here, he played in the hole, a role that required a much bigger overall contribution. IMHO I don't think we ever really saw that from him

Horsham Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Horsham Royal » 01 Sep 2010 17:42

Y21_Royal ...it was Messi playing with Sunday League players!

It often is.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 01 Sep 2010 17:48

Sigurdsson was a pretty good passer not brilliant. Has little pace. Dead balls very good, long range the best ive ever seen, tackling, average, temperament and coolness on the ball very very good.

Not 6m. 3m max.

Pablo

by Pablo » 01 Sep 2010 17:50

Gylfi´s magic beats QPR

Didn´t he also win some penalties himself?

Basingstoke Royal

by Basingstoke Royal » 01 Sep 2010 17:50

how many goals did he actually score that werent free kicks or pens?

I think his strengths and 'weaknesses' are:

Strengths:

1. Sig was great at all set pieces, whether he scored or just put the ball in the right areas.

2. His biggest attribute was obviously his shooting either short or long distance.

3. He could take on players with out having bags of pace.

4. He could change a game with a moment of brilliance.

Not sure whether to call them weaknesses, not his greatest attributes is probably fairer:

1. Floats in and out of games, a little inconsistent

2. Not physical enough - too many times he was just pushed off the ball
Last edited by Basingstoke Royal on 01 Sep 2010 17:51, edited 1 time in total.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 01 Sep 2010 17:50

When McD came in he decided to build the team and formation around Gylfi. Anyone who says we won't miss him are either blind, high or just plain deluded.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 01 Sep 2010 17:52

TBM ......that Sig scored for us, was he actually that much better than what we already have?

He was good im not denying that but at £6m he wasn't THAT good

Ian Harte will bang in the free kicks and pens for us now, hopefully it will also allow Howard to get forward more which i believe is his better position - defensively he's shaky.

Nothing against Ian Harte but if he is that damn good, why did we not sign him in the first place, rather than using one of the two signings Madejski permitted in order to sign Williams?

IcelandicStokie

by IcelandicStokie » 01 Sep 2010 17:54

Wow, just wow this thread!!

Hopefully Gylfi will feel more appreciated in Germany where he will blossom.

Must be glad he left that boy.

poohs pure

by poohs pure » 01 Sep 2010 17:56

TBM ......that Sig scored for us, was he actually that much better than what we already have?

He was good im not denying that but at £6m he wasn't THAT good

Ian Harte will bang in the free kicks and pens for us now, hopefully it will also allow Howard to get forward more which i believe is his better position - defensively he's shaky.

That Picasso bloke,I mean...a few paintings, take those away and what did he do...? Overated in my opinion.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 01 Sep 2010 17:59

Hoop Blah The only players I've seen for Reading that come close to the technical ability he showed, as a 20 year old remember, are Little, Osborn, the Polish international of course and probably Shorey. I'll miss watching him play and the side will be worse off for not having him in it.

I'd agree and add to that Brebner. A class act.

Interesting Q by TBM though - perhaps not a amazing as we think.

But then as ever on HNA we have a tendency to knock anyone we don't like into the ground and overhype anyone who is not bad.

I'm still gutted he went, but moreso because what is now just clear as the midday sun with regard to our ambition and it being the final straw that broke my faith in Madejski and the club, rather than being gutted at losing him per se.