Coventry - back from the lame: drawing, drawing Reading

Scylla

Re: Coventry - back from the lame: drawing, drawing Reading

by Scylla » 12 Dec 2010 10:28

Royal Lady If you convince yourself that we're never going to be in the Prem again under JM's tenure, that JM isn't going to spend any money on players that he could, instead, be paying on the Station Hill refurbishment and that we're going to be mid-table at best - you'd all enjoy the games far more. :wink:

Thank you Mrs Stimpson

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 12 Dec 2010 10:56

andrew1957 All very sad and frustrating and we can only really hope that JM has had enough now that he had got his knighthood and done his 20 years - as we really need new blood and new investment in the club. Unfortunately I doubt any multi billionaire is really interested in Reading and so sadly I fear the downward spiral is just at the beginning.

Strange how the rich guys seem interested in plenty of other clubs (Watford being one of the latest moving towards change of ownership, yet none seem interested in taking on the well run and well established RFC. I suspect a better wording is that none are really interested in Reading on Madejski's terms.

As for your comments on Leigertwood I agree. Looked a 'tidy' player, strong and calm on the ball.

Disagree with your view on Mills, felt he did really well against the Jail Bird who looked Coventry's biggest threat. Incidentally, if Madejski refused to sign King, then on an extremely rare occasion I would agree with him!

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 12 Dec 2010 11:11

holsgrove breaks a leg
I would also say that as much as Kebe can be viewed as a hot and cold player, McAnuff appears to be getting away with shirking from his responsibilties and is plainly going through the motions, how Antonio isnt getting a chance to shine above Hal Robson Kanu is beyond me so i wonder if Mcanuff is really worth persisting with now.

I relaly can't understand the continuous criticism of McAnuff and can only conclude it is based on blind prejudice (no not racial!).

He was absolutely on fire during the first half, causing havoc down Coventry's right and able to beat numerous players at will. In doing so, he set his team mates up with several great chances that really should have been converted. I bet Boothroyd, the Coventry players and supporters would have loved nothing more than to have seen him substituted early on!!

Second half his performance did drop off, along with every other player in the team. It was not helped when he was moved into central midfield to accommodate the introduction of Robson Kanu who appeared to be a player asked to perform in a league one above where he should be at present in his career.

Coppell's Right Footed 11

by Coppell's Right Footed 11 » 12 Dec 2010 11:41

Awful game to be honest.

We play everything down the flanks everytime and then have no one in the box to finish off the crosses.

When was the last time a ball was played through the middle? or a ball for the striker to run onto?

Missing Gylfi massively.

Jem Karacan was atrocious yesterday. He runs around a lot, panics on the ball and hoofs at any opportunity. His pass completion must have been about 5% for the entire match, and misplaced 3 on the trot before he was subbed.

McAnuff doesn't work on the left, you need a winger to hug the touchline who is left footed, Reminds me of when Paul Brooker was there.

Final point - Khizanishvilli was brilliant vs Leeds, then dropped for Matt Mills who is absolutely shocking. :shock:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 12 Dec 2010 13:22

Jesus Christ. How the oxf*rd bollox did Long fail to put away those two chances shown on the highlights!?

Drop him, he's oxf*rd useless.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 12 Dec 2010 14:03

Billy The Fish No 13 - Quietest I can remember. Not even one rendition of our signature song "Super Reading FC".

Dull game - Dull atmosphere.

Decent game - Decent atmosphere.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 12 Dec 2010 14:07

A few questions need to be asked about the future of McDermott. More and more often he is being tactically outfought and still relies on the same players. Our game is far too predictable. It always goes to the wings.

Shane Long still gets in the team and he doesn't try players like Antonio or Tabb.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 12 Dec 2010 14:09

LoyalRoyalFan A few questions need to be asked about the future of McDermott. More and more often he is being tactically outfought and still relies on the same players. Our game is far too predictable. It always goes to the wings.

Shane Long still gets in the team and he doesn't try players like Antonio or Tabb.

To be fair, with Karacan playing so well generally, there isn't much room for Tabb. They aren't going to work as a pairing without a Siggyesque player ahead of them, maybe even then. McAnuff & Kebe are much better than Antonio, they're just too easily thwarted with nothing through the middle and Long incapable of putting away the chances they do create.

jumpers for goalposts

by jumpers for goalposts » 12 Dec 2010 14:25

Bar Kebe on his day, we have no match winners any more, now that the Sig has left. Also, Rasiak would likely have finished those chances off today, for all his RFC detractors. Quite why Jay Tabb can't get a game i'll never understand, and we've bought in Leigertwood on loan, when we're crying out for another striker. Absolutely baffling selection and transfer policy atm.

If you look at the top 2, QPR have Taraabt who has on countless games on his own. Cardif's strength is in their forwards, Chopra, Bellamy and Bothroyd. We wimply do not have any outstanding players any more, and that is why we are no better than the other 90% of teams in the league these days.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 12 Dec 2010 14:58

RoyalBlue
holsgrove breaks a leg
I would also say that as much as Kebe can be viewed as a hot and cold player, McAnuff appears to be getting away with shirking from his responsibilties and is plainly going through the motions, how Antonio isnt getting a chance to shine above Hal Robson Kanu is beyond me so i wonder if Mcanuff is really worth persisting with now.

I relaly can't understand the continuous criticism of McAnuff and can only conclude it is based on blind prejudice (no not racial!).

He was absolutely on fire during the first half, causing havoc down Coventry's right and able to beat numerous players at will. In doing so, he set his team mates up with several great chances that really should have been converted. I bet Boothroyd, the Coventry players and supporters would have loved nothing more than to have seen him substituted early on!!

Second half his performance did drop off, along with every other player in the team. It was not helped when he was moved into central midfield to accommodate the introduction of Robson Kanu who appeared to be a player asked to perform in a league one above where he should be at present in his career.

Agree with al this, RB, particularly about McAnuff who was sensational in the first half and then simply marked out the game in the 2nd.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 12 Dec 2010 15:09

Madejski and McDermott out.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 12 Dec 2010 15:32

Oh Dear - as others have said quite predictable

There was plenty of effort and energy and commitment on show but quite honestly if that's all I wanted, I could see this for free by going down to Sol Joel Park and watching Earley Eagles :shock:

NB As I don't live locally any more I realise that the park may have given way to some lovely new 5 bedroom houses and that the team has long since been disbanded, but you get the point, I hope

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 12 Dec 2010 16:10

Could do with someone coming in to play in the gylfi role. Adam Lallana anyone?

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 12 Dec 2010 16:16

Everyone pins their hopes on Kebe these days - he's just back from injury and really didn't look to be in the game yesterday.

Time was, in the 106 season, when you, quite rightly, felt that anyone could and would score - these days we can't even rely on our strikers and our only real hope of a goal was sold for £7 million with next to no re-investment. Still, we're a well run club. :roll:

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 12 Dec 2010 16:47

loyalroyal4life Could do with someone coming in to play in the gylfi role. Adam Lallana anyone?

Good shout, although I doubt we'd pay what was required.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 12 Dec 2010 16:54

loyalroyal4life Could do with someone coming in to play in the gylfi role. Adam Lallana anyone?

I've been banging on about this lad for years, our club lack the ambition to sign him...as usual.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 12 Dec 2010 16:56

floyd__streete Well, if there was ever a game to live down to expectations it was this one :| .

Reading played pretty well in the first 25 minutes, Long was bright and led the line well, MacAnuff was dictating things on the left flank. Long himself had 4 chances, one of which he made quite brilliantly for himself. He hit the target with none of them, natch :| .

Unfortunately, we faded and died, died on our @rses. The second half was as poor a spectacle as you will ever see; the only time the ball touched the deck was on the numerous ocassions both sides failed to controlled the ball and it bounced between lumering, oafish swipes of the ball. Coventry were a typical Boothroyd side, an absolute abberation to watch and they showed surprising little ambition which was fortunate for Reading as Mills had yet another poor game and looked a liability throughout.

Again, the club made its ambitions perfectly clear last month when during the last few days of the loan transfer window we signed.....a plodding midfielder, rather than strengthen the p*ss-weak striking department. Since then we have played two games and failed to score in either of them. Seems to me there is precious little to look forward to for the remainder of this season and perhaps for the forseeable future; in one month's time we'll most likely be out of the cup and looking downwards in the league. Happy Christmas.

positive as ever floyd :lol:

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 12 Dec 2010 16:56

thirtyyarder
When did we become such a horrible team?

The moment Madejski decided to knock our brick by brick process down with a sledgehammer, selling all our best players and spending the square root of fvck all to replace them.

Didn't even give our new budding manager a chance to sign players this summer when he did so well last year, c**t.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 12 Dec 2010 17:23

Royal Lady Everyone pins their hopes on Kebe these days - he's just back from injury and really didn't look to be in the game yesterday.

Time was, in the 106 season, when you, quite rightly, felt that anyone could and would score - these days we can't even rely on our strikers and our only real hope of a goal was sold for £7 million with next to no re-investment. Still, we're a well run club. :roll:

You say no investment, but Leigterwood, Harte & Khizanishvili didn't come cheap, certainly in wages if not in fee. And it's the wages which are the killer.

I know it's hard, but you really shouldn't compare a team to the 106 one. It was utterly unique and we'll not see it's like again in all probability. Better to compare with one of our 2nd or 4th placing teams...

Our main problem is we have a squad of players that don't combine into a team... some suit one style, others suit another and that's compounded by a lack of a reliable goalscorer.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 12 Dec 2010 17:29

Ian Royal
Royal Lady Everyone pins their hopes on Kebe these days - he's just back from injury and really didn't look to be in the game yesterday.

You say no investment, but Leigterwood, Harte & Khizanishvili didn't come cheap, certainly in wages if not in fee.

Im afraid they did in modern day terms. Harte played for carlisle ffs.