Back from the game - Cardiff (A) - Wembley special.

Nick Shorey my Lord!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Back from the game - Cardiff (A) - Wembley special.

by Nick Shorey my Lord! » 18 May 2011 07:56

So from the comfort of the local that was IMO as assured if not more than Tranmere in 95. The central spine of the team, Zurab, Mills (who I thought would be a liability - full credit for keeping his head together), Jem and Leigertwood were composed and sensible. They controlled the tempo superbly. Massive respect for Cummings who whilst no dynamite did his job well.

Who else thought "we'd have creamed them even more with Kebe" last night? That game was set up for someone like him to dominate.

IF we put that shift in two weeks then we MIGHT be onto something special.

leicsRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by leicsRoyal » 18 May 2011 08:05

Got back in the early hours and then read hob nob and watched the recording on sky, resisted the temptation to post last night as would have probably come out as complete gibberish, WHAT A NIGHT!

I could go on to praise every single player but a couple that stand out for me;

Feds - although little to do, collected every ball so cleanly. Many of the shots from distance bounced just in front of him and the game could have been so different with just one fumble.

Mills - has his critics sometimes, including me, for the long ball he hits most of the time. Last night he really was captain fantastic, a superb block to deny Chopra and then niggling the defender that much it to gain the penalty.

McAnuff - again wasn't having his best of games but showed that touch of brilliance for the 3rd goal and it was great to see how much it meant to him

Long - what a great time to end the drought, he must cover the same amount of ground in a game as any midfielder does.

McDermott - tactically brilliant! Loved by players and fans alike. Fast becoming Mr Reading!

Fans - superb throughout, these are the nights you never forget, and boyo :lol: did we enjoy it!

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 18 May 2011 08:06

THAT was fantastic!! I have hardly any voice left - that game ranks on a par with Leicester away for me. The players, once again, gave their all - not always pretty at times - but who cares! That was the first game in a long while where I haven't felt the need to curse the ref and there was no audible sighing if a player played a poor pass or whatever - fans were immense - I hope we heard loud and proud on the TV. I'm a great fan of Mills and he didn't disappoint - one of his best games for us I reckon.

My son said Gylfi came out onto the pitch at the end - if we go up, we should sign him back on loan :lol: The stewards were the friendliest bunch you could imagine - fair play to them - wishing us well for Wembley and a safe journey home - stood all game right next to the stewards/police separating us from the Cardiff fans and they just let us get on with it. Fair play also to our fans - excellent behaviour as always - no idiots trying to get on the pitch, unlike Cardiff - and no need for happy clappers to get an atmosphere going!

Can't wait for Wembley and for the first time everach a play-off final, the pressure is off of us - we've been to the "promised land" before - and my expectations of the team are lower than I've felt before, purely because a few months ago we'd have given anything to be in this position.

Third time lucky in a play-off final? If we play like last night, you bet!!!!

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 18 May 2011 08:12

royalexile What can i say really. Superb and unbelievable first goal from Shane. I couldn't comprehend it when the ball crossed the line. Total pandemonium from there on in really. The support were totally behind the team tonight and this was deffo the highlight of my time supporting Reading. We stood all game with not a complaint from the stewards or other supporters who would probably have wanted to sit. Fair play all around for that. Corner, Penaltywith much confusion from us as we weren't sure if it has a freekick or not. Bloody hell we could go 2 goals up here!!. Willing the ball in and stop the game right there. Call it a day and let us have the glory.

Second half i really thought we would see Cardiff rip us apart. Two goals did not look like enough to hold on after the pressure we took in the first 15 minutes. well actually Cardiff were piss poor, pressed the panic button and looked like they were never going to get the rub of the green. We needed that third goal though. Hunt hit the post and proved an effective foil, chasing lost causes, battling for the ball and damn were the team bullish and forceful out there tonight. WE WANTED IT MORE. It was really that simple. I kept willing that clock down after 60 minutes, fearful of the breakthrough for Cardiff that was surely to come at some point.

McAnuff attempted a run on goal which was evident of the teams confidence, sadly not to be until he scored the third. The elation on the pitch and the support was massive.
I have a headache, sore throat (i'm sure i tasted blood at one point :shock: ) and top, top scenes after the game had finished. The benny hill moments of the indignant home support, the two pratts arrested and held in front of us lot, then the old bill making them turn their backs on us. :lol:

Blood, sweat but thankfully no tears tonight. Elated and very very happy.

I always like yourposts, REX, but this is your best ever (probably helped by the subject)

bobby m's syrup

by bobby m's syrup » 18 May 2011 08:14

Royal Lady THAT was fantastic!! I have hardly any voice left - that game ranks on a par with Leicester away for me. The players, once again, gave their all - not always pretty at times - but who cares! That was the first game in a long while where I haven't felt the need to curse the ref and there was no audible sighing if a player played a poor pass or whatever - fans were immense - I hope we heard loud and proud on the TV. I'm a great fan of Mills and he didn't disappoint - one of his best games for us I reckon.

My son said Gylfi came out onto the pitch at the end - if we go up, we should sign him back on loan :lol: The stewards were the friendliest bunch you could imagine - fair play to them - wishing us well for Wembley and a safe journey home - stood all game right next to the stewards/police separating us from the Cardiff fans and they just let us get on with it. Fair play also to our fans - excellent behaviour as always - no idiots trying to get on the pitch, unlike Cardiff - and no need for happy clappers to get an atmosphere going!

Can't wait for Wembley and for the first time everach a play-off final, the pressure is off of us - we've been to the "promised land" before - and my expectations of the team are lower than I've felt before, purely because a few months ago we'd have given anything to be in this position.

Third time lucky in a play-off final? If we play like last night, you bet!!!!

Working on the trains in Cornwall, I don't get to see too many 'live' games. I caught most of last night's on Sky. What you say above confirms the impression I got. Good post!

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 18 May 2011 08:26

:shock:

Bl00dy hell - talk about bitter and twisted!!!

They simply cannot accept that they were outplayed by us, and that the best team won, can they?? Oh no - it HAS to be a conspiracy to keep Welsh teams out of the Premier League....

......Cardiff fans really have the same amount of brain cells as they have class - eg: none.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 18 May 2011 08:39

Here's also hoping for a conspiracy on 30 May!! :wink:

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 18 May 2011 08:46

The other thing we always find is that all our mates who support other teams ALWAYS text us good luck and/or Congratulations when we're playing a big game - I think a lot of other fans like Reading - because we have broken the mould - we don't have a team of big time Charlies, our fans are, in the main, easy going - never any trouble and to the likes of our Premiership team supporting mates, we're still "little Reading" - plus I think a lot of people hate Cardiff! :wink:

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 18 May 2011 08:48

Reading fans were very loud, plenty of noise audible over the Cardiff lot.

ps C Tarrant is on R2 this afternoon, could be fun.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 18 May 2011 08:51

Royal Lady The other thing we always find is that all our mates who support other teams ALWAYS text us good luck and/or Congratulations when we're playing a big game - I think a lot of other fans like Reading - because we have broken the mould - we don't have a team of big time Charlies, our fans are, in the main, easy going - never any trouble and to the likes of our Premiership team supporting mates, we're still "little Reading" - plus I think a lot of people hate Cardiff! :wink:

I think it's the latter RL, a kind of ABC rather than ABU

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 18 May 2011 08:54

Well, what can you say really - classic, classic away performance.

I don't think we played all that well in the first half but somehow contrived to go in 2-0 up. Brief flurry from Cardiff but we had all the best chances, hit the post, Hunt put one wide, then Jobi slalomed through to smash in the most comprehensive FUKK OFF goal I've ever seen us score.

In bullet form:

- Matt Mills was absolutely brilliant and a clear MOTM for me
- Cummings did a job. Brave decision to play him in a 4-4-2 but he can hold his head up this morning
- I got quite emotional last night

This game, eh?

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 18 May 2011 09:05

1 word to describe that performance.......FAULTLESS

Yes we may have been under the kosh for 1st half hour or so but away from home in a game as big as that to win 3-0 is brilliant

Great effort from the boys and good effort from the fans. Guy next me got the 'Shoes off if you are 2-0 up going'

That was one of the best away games, if not the best I have ever been to! Not just the result, but the support was immense, the stewards were nice allowing us to stand throughout and we actually had a ref who was decent!

All the players were brilliant but I thought Matt Mills finally gave a true captains performance!

Bring on Todger and the Swans

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 18 May 2011 09:21

loyalroyal4life 1 word to describe that performance.......FAULTLESS

Yes we may have been under the kosh for 1st half hour or so but away from home in a game as big as that to win 3-0 is brilliant

Great effort from the boys and good effort from the fans. Guy next me got the 'Shoes off if you are 2-0 up going'

That was one of the best away games, if not the best I have ever been to! Not just the result, but the support was immense, the stewards were nice allowing us to stand throughout and we actually had a ref who was decent!

All the players were brilliant but I thought Matt Mills finally gave a true captains performance!

The shoes off song.Is this a new one?Never come accross it befor.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

by URZZZZZZZZ » 18 May 2011 09:24

Recovering in the hotel...

That was a special night, no more needed to say really

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 18 May 2011 09:27

URZZ
royalexile
URZZ WTF was going on with Cardiff throwing their seats at Harte etc?!

Surely those blue happy clappy cards issued pre game to motive their team. :lol:

Oh that's not embarrassing. :?

Even more embarrassing as they say something to the effect of "We'll be there ..... at Wembley."

Tempting fate or what?

ElmParker
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by ElmParker » 18 May 2011 09:34

We're tantalisingly close to a season of hopeless misery.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 18 May 2011 09:37

As far as I'm concerned, that's it. We're promoted. No more games.

Thanks

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 18 May 2011 10:41

tee peg
loyalroyal4life 1 word to describe that performance.......FAULTLESS

The shoes off song.Is this a new one?Never come accross it befor.

I think Newcastle fans were one of the first to do it but it is certainly one that a few clubs have done

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 18 May 2011 10:44

I though the "shoes off if you love ....." started at Morecambe a few years ago.

But like all these things everyone does it.

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 18 May 2011 10:45

Think Villa did it at the Madejski one year too.