Silence for Robert Sebbage?

Tredder
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Silence for Robert Sebbage?

by Tredder » 04 Aug 2011 17:06

I would think that being a young ST holder and having a specially made RFC coffin for his funeral, would at a minimum receive a mention in the programme, a minutes silence or applause is probably overdoing it.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 04 Aug 2011 17:11

Minutes silences / applauses are for the fans to show their respect to someone who meant something to them all through their club / sport. That or to show respect for a major event in the country / world.

Without meaning to cause offence, this chap meant nothing to me. His death is sad, but I'm not sure why I should be mourning him.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 04 Aug 2011 17:15

I'd particularly like to thank the QPR and Chelsea fans on this thread for their feedback as to how RFC should mark the murder of one of their young fans; your solidarity is appreciated and it reminds me of when I suggested on a Chelsea forum that CFC fans should mark Matthew Harding's death pre-match by standing up and spinning 360 degrees with their arms outstretched going 'pffffda-pffffda-pffffda-pffffda-pffffda-pffffda-pffffda-pffffda.....'.

zummerset

by zummerset » 04 Aug 2011 17:16

Why not- if it comforts the family and he was part of the RFC family

Tredder
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Tredder » 04 Aug 2011 17:19

Always a pleasure, just glad to point out the stupidity of Mr Angry's comments and show the coffin, as i'm sure some of his fellow fans would love to marvel at the workmanship.

RayP

by RayP » 04 Aug 2011 17:26

That coffin.

RIP the ultimate shirter

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 04 Aug 2011 17:27

Ian Royal Why is a young person who's murdered any more worthy of recognition by a football club than an old person who dies of natural causes, if both were STHs?

Are you for real :|

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 04 Aug 2011 17:27

Royal1983
Svlad Cjelli .....
is it just because he was murdered you want a silence, because we must lose scores of reading STHs each season. Should we have a ceremony for each one?

It's because it's a sign of respect that a lad who was 18 was murdered and that he was a season ticket holder.

Indeed, but not having it isn't a sign of disrespect. If you find yourself showing respect every time any supporter of the clubs dies, then you end up having a ceremony before just about every single match - and it soon means absolutely nothing.

muddyfeet
Hob Nob Regular

by muddyfeet » 04 Aug 2011 17:28

RayP That coffin.

RIP the ultimate shirter

Idiot

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 04 Aug 2011 17:33

Woodcote Royal
Ian Royal Why is a young person who's murdered any more worthy of recognition by a football club than an old person who dies of natural causes, if both were STHs?

Yes.

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 04 Aug 2011 17:35

Ian Royal
Woodcote Royal

Yes.

If this goes much further, some-one is going to have to decide what the age cut-off point is for football club recognition. At what age is your death not important enough to have a ceremony?

zummerset

by zummerset » 04 Aug 2011 17:36

Ian Royal
Woodcote Royal

Yes.

Not necessarily a good thing sometimes Ian. Try thinking about the family and how much it would inconvenience you to shut up for a minute - although doubtless you aren't going

RayP

by RayP » 04 Aug 2011 17:39

muddyfeet
RayP That coffin.

RIP the ultimate shirter

Idiot

Fair enough, I apologise.

fwiw, I agree with Svlad. This is a sad tale but supporters die all the time.

iirc there was a silence for a fan that died in the Ufton Nervet train crash going home from a match. He died 'in the act' of being a fan. i had no problem with that.

Other that that, a silence should be a pretty rare honour, afforded to club/game greats

muddyfeet
Hob Nob Regular

by muddyfeet » 04 Aug 2011 17:40

Can't really understand anyone who could be particularly against it tbh

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 04 Aug 2011 17:44

If you have a minute's silence for one then you might as well have one for every other RFC supporter that dies through the season.

It's a no from me.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 04 Aug 2011 17:57

zummerset
Ian Royal
Woodcote Royal

Yes.

Not necessarily a good thing sometimes Ian. Try thinking about the family and how much it would inconvenience you to shut up for a minute - although doubtless you aren't going

Sorry, I just happen to disagree with borrowing the grief of others in creepy voyeuristic way. If there's a minutes silence I will of course respect it, otherwise would be rude, and insensitive.

But frankly I reserve the right to point out that I don't see why this chap is any more special than any number of other Reading fans who die and why I should have to have some sort of group mourning session when I''m honest enough to admit I didn't know him and he means absolutely nothing to me personally.

I would not want people I don't know and have no knowledge of me expressing semi-sincere and meaningless respect for me if I were to cark it.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 04 Aug 2011 17:58

It doesn't hurt anyone by having a minute's silence so whats the big deal? The lad was murdered at the age of 18. Its pretty unusual and its very different from someone dying of natural causes.
I don't have a problem with it at all.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 04 Aug 2011 18:14

Surely the thing here is that this young lad was murdered. I think that if you are "killed" rather than die of old age - the tragedy of it, however young or old that supporter may be, and if their family obtain some comfort from it, should at the very least merit some sort of recognition by other fans if they wish. If you don't want to join in, stand down in the concourse or something. :roll:

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 04 Aug 2011 18:27

When asked about whether we should or not McDermott said the club would speak to his family about it and see what they wanted.

As its not going to happen I assume that is because they didn't want it, I dont think they're going to change their mind because a load of people on HNA? tell them they should :wink:

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 04 Aug 2011 18:34

Unless it's a long-term or current player / manager then I suggest they get on with the game and stop all this silence nonsense.

RIP though, and no disrespect intended whatsoever.