Pearce & Bongani

leon
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Pearce & Bongani

by leon » 06 Aug 2011 23:30

muddyfeet Every opposing teams tactics will involve shunting the ball down the lines and their wingers out run Griff/Harte, the centre backs cover leaving a gaping hole in the middle

And repeat

When's Cummings back?!

spot on. both our full backs are too slow, immobile and are easy to go past. Griffin particularly has declined at an alarming rate. The centre backs were getting pulled out all over the place to cope with the constant traffic down the flanks.
Last edited by leon on 06 Aug 2011 23:37, edited 1 time in total.

CayeneMatt

by CayeneMatt » 07 Aug 2011 09:22

Having watched the goals again (3 times), pearce and feds were to blame for the 1st. Bongani was in no mans land and could've done better to block the header for no.2.

Going back to my original point, i've never seen Gibbs persistently shout at anyone for so long. He knew from the 1st minute.

I hope it improves.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 07 Aug 2011 09:41

One of Bongani's problems is that he leads with his shoulder when trying to head the ball and consequently keeps missing it - first few times I thought it was just unlucky, but I think it's a quirk he's got that clearly needs sorting.

manny96

by manny96 » 07 Aug 2011 10:16

I didn't think Bongani or Pearce were particularly bad yesterday at all. Harte and Griffin's positioning and lack of pace meant the two central defenders were being pulled out of position all the time. As far as I can remember, none of Harte's free kicks cleared the first man either.

Federici was utterly, utterly at fault for the first goal (and he knew it). And then produced 3 or 4 match winning saves. Sublime and ridiculous.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 07 Aug 2011 12:11

manny96 I didn't think Bongani or Pearce were particularly bad yesterday at all. Harte and Griffin's positioning and lack of pace meant the two central defenders were being pulled out of position all the time. As far as I can remember, none of Harte's free kicks cleared the first man either.

Federici was utterly, utterly at fault for the first goal (and he knew it). And then produced 3 or 4 match winning saves. Sublime and ridiculous.

No he didn't. Pearce knew who was at fault for the first goal yesterday he was looking around wondering where Henderson came from.

manny96

by manny96 » 07 Aug 2011 12:22

Well, he shrugged, looked around for someone to shout at and then sheepishly decided not to as that was his ball to claim. The fact that Henderson slipped his marker (whoever that was meant to be) shouldn't have mattered. A tricky ball to deal with but no doubt in my mind that it was the keeper's responsibility. There's no guarantee Pearce would have won the header either had he been closer to Henderson

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 07 Aug 2011 12:36

manny96 Well, he shrugged, looked around for someone to shout at and then sheepishly decided not to as that was his ball to claim. The fact that Henderson slipped his marker (whoever that was meant to be) shouldn't have mattered. A tricky ball to deal with but no doubt in my mind that it was the keeper's responsibility. There's no guarantee Pearce would have won the header either had he been closer to Henderson

So how is there a guarantee that Federici would have got the cross how is there a guarantee that McCarthy would have got the cross. Pearce lost his man and when the ball went in looked around and wondered where Henderson came from. If it was Federici's fault surely Pearce have had a go at him?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Aug 2011 12:40

The point is sandman, if the ball's between the goal posts and 5 yards out, it's the keeper's to come and claim making himself big. If he doesn't get it, fair enough, but the closer he is the bigger obstacle he is. It was a hard one because it was up and under admittedly. There's also the chance that you put the attacker off by coming out at him, maybe clattering him.

Stay on his line and he's got no chance if the attacker gets a head to it, unless they put it straight at him. Henderson isn't going to do that.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 07 Aug 2011 12:56

He didn't need to come out because Pearce had his man and then lost him. Once Pearce had lost him Federici tried to make himself big with the old Schmeichel style star jump.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Aug 2011 13:00

sandman He didn't need to come out because Pearce had his man and then lost him. Once Pearce had lost him Federici tried to make himself big with the old Schmeichel style star jump.

Federici's all the way should never have been relying on his defender getting to the ball first. That's stupid.

And I think Hoop Blah has a point in that it looked like Harte who should have been picking up Henderson.

Sir Dodger Royal
Location: Cyberspace - pulling the strings. You know it makes sense.

by Sir Dodger Royal » 07 Aug 2011 13:21

Only RFC could sell a centre half £5mill+ who could actually head a ball with someone who quite frankly was pathetic. The African Geezer's positioning was terrible and his in ability to head the ball was embarrassing. Some how he always seem to be trying to head the ball sideways. No wonder he was 5/6 choice at Spurs. The defence is crap and the midfield has no creative juices what so ever.

Mid table at best unless that tw** of a Chairman spends some money before the deadline closes. Some hope on that frontttttt

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 07 Aug 2011 13:24

Sir Dodger Royal The African Geezer's positioning was terrible and his in ability to head the ball was embarrassing.

I thought Pearce was from Oxford.
Last edited by sandman on 07 Aug 2011 13:32, edited 2 times in total.

Bacon Double Cheese
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Lincoln, the home of quality football and Peterborough which isn't

by Bacon Double Cheese » 07 Aug 2011 13:28

sandman
Sir Dodger Royal The African Geezer's positioning was terrible and his in ability to head the ball was embarrassing.

I thought Pearce was from Oxford.

:D

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 07 Aug 2011 13:35

The worry with the pairing is the lack of pace from the full backs will expose the CBs

CayeneMatt

by CayeneMatt » 07 Aug 2011 13:48

Having watched that 1st goal again, the cross wasn't exactly whipped in to Henderson, so I've come round to the idea that Feds was to blame as he had plenty of time to come for it.

But if we're going to slag Feds off, you could argue that Forde should've done better with Manset's rocket. From my seat I thought it went top corner, but the replay shows it was more central. But i digress..

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 07 Aug 2011 14:16

sandman He didn't need to come out because Pearce had his man and then lost him. Once Pearce had lost him Federici tried to make himself big with the old Schmeichel style star jump.

Watch the i-player of last night's FLS from about 30:50 - Pearce initially goes with the other Millwall striker as Khumalo is badly positioned and he thinks Harte has Henderson - (which he originally did, before stopping his tracking run :roll: ). Once Pearce realises Harte hasn't tracked back and the ball is deeper to Henderson he is lost. Bad team defending only compounded by Federici's reluctance to come, but the key error was earlier.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 07 Aug 2011 14:33

Watch it as many times as you like. Maybe Harte can shoulder some blame but Pearce is still a CB charged with marking the CF. Can't see Pearce blaming anyone else or looking accusingley at Harte.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 07 Aug 2011 15:18

sandman Watch it as many times as you like. Maybe Harte can shoulder some blame but Pearce is still a CB charged with marking the CF. Can't see Pearce blaming anyone else or looking accusingley at Harte.

So you accept then that Harte's actions had an impact in the goal, and as such the comment that it was poor defending all round absolutely stands.

I won't say I told you so, yet, as both should improve as they get match sharp and more of an understanding, but this is why I couldn't understand the crowing and hilarity when we shipped by far our best central defender off to Leicester.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 07 Aug 2011 17:02

sandman Watch it as many times as you like. Maybe Harte can shoulder some blame but Pearce is still a CB charged with marking the CF. Can't see Pearce blaming anyone else or looking accusingley at Harte.

Pearce not moaning at someone isn't a sign of blame. If anything it's a sign that Pearce is mature enough not to start stamping his feet and having needless pops at his team mates.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 07 Aug 2011 18:03

Pearce certainly had a go at Federici for one of the goals... can't remember which.