Biggest away attendance

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Biggest away attendance

by Mid Sussex Royal » 25 Aug 2011 19:21

Be interesting on fans views re proportion of RFC fans in overall attendance as its only recently that away fans have been recorded.

I can remember a couple of boxing day games at Aldershot when we had 3/4 of the ground and of course Newport away in 1985 for the record breaking win.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 25 Aug 2011 20:27

Some of the suggestions are good.

Wigan away was only around 4.5k, Bristol City was c5k, Arsenal was definately the most - we took c8k there. Old Trafford the next season was also sizeable - c6k.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 25 Aug 2011 20:50

floyd__streete The 'goalscorer' then disappeared off behind the goal to escape old bill and stewards, kicked a local television sound boom up in the air, scaled the fence back into the away end and - as far as I know - escaped getting nicked :| . This, of course, being the days when we had a fair few 'characters' following RFC rather than the generic 'URZ 13' shirt-wearing, face-painted, blarmy chanting clones who attend matches these days :cry: .

During the goal kick shenanigans, I remember seeing a couple of pitch invaders heading down to the Bournemouth end give it the big "come on then" gesture. They were stopped not by police or stewards but by Shaka Hislop striding over and giving it his best "calm down lads, they ain't worth it" talking to. He then shepherded them back into the terrace before realising the game had restarted and racing back to his goal.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 25 Aug 2011 20:54

Fulham away in 1993.

On a Sunday lunchtime. We filled the Putney End which had a capacity of around 3,500. There were hundreds locked out many of whomm just went in the Hammersmith End. Unusually for the Met, they were quite sensible about it and just formed a rudimentary line of segregation down the terrace. There were plenty of other Royals dotted around the ground in the seats as well. Back in those days, 4,000 was pretty much our entire home support.

RFCMod

by RFCMod » 25 Aug 2011 21:09

floyd__streete The 'goalscorer' then disappeared off behind the goal to escape old bill and stewards, kicked a local television sound boom up in the air, scaled the fence back into the away end and - as far as I know - escaped getting nicked :| . This, of course, being the days when we had a fair few 'characters' following RFC rather than the generic 'URZ 13' shirt-wearing, face-painted, blarmy chanting clones who attend matches these days :cry: .

And to all that knew him a great lad as well RIP

Ian Herring

by Ian Herring » 25 Aug 2011 21:23

RFCMod

Pretty sure this was Kirbs, unless my memory serves me wrong. (We were utterly laggered).

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 25 Aug 2011 21:46

Jerry St Clair Fulham away in 1993.

On a Sunday lunchtime. We filled the Putney End which had a capacity of around 3,500. There were hundreds locked out many of whomm just went in the Hammersmith End. Unusually for the Met, they were quite sensible about it and just formed a rudimentary line of segregation down the terrace. There were plenty of other Royals dotted around the ground in the seats as well. Back in those days, 4,000 was pretty much our entire home support.

Remember this. Was my first ever away game, Uncle took me in the seats in the Stevenage Road Stand. 0-0 draw iirc, Quinny hit the bar first half. Non-descript game. I remember the Putney End being rammed.

Colin Cheeselog

by Colin Cheeselog » 25 Aug 2011 23:42

handbags_harris

Remember this. Was my first ever away game, Uncle took me in the seats in the Stevenage Road Stand. 0-0 draw iirc, Quinny hit the bar first half. Non-descript game. I remember the Putney End being rammed.

Was that the game when Mick Gooding was sent off for kicking somebody's nob?

Ian Herring

by Ian Herring » 26 Aug 2011 00:17

Colin Cheeselog
handbags_harris

Was that the game when Mick Gooding was sent off for kicking somebody's nob?

Yeah, he did. Good old Mickey! Remember this one well. Traffic was so bad we had to abandon car somewhere in west London and leg it for miles to make the morning kick-off. Remember seeing Reading stewards on the Putney End waving in Reading fans (bizarre). After we had a pint somewhere where a young Irishman exhorted us to partake of the gratis roast spuds on the bar in his local. When we'd scarfed a few down he then said quite menacingly the classic old line 'Ye've eaten them all, then' and started rolling up his sleeves. Ffs.

We'd had enough of jogging by then so just shambled off while young Declan got all 'north Dublin' about us, the twat.

Happy days.

Fluff

by Fluff » 26 Aug 2011 00:42

Bournemouth away, on a wet Thursday night. We took a few down for that.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 26 Aug 2011 01:02

roadrunner
T.R.O.L.I.
Schards#2 League - I would say Bristol City away 1995, circa 5,000

Still one of my favourite ever away trips - c. 5,000 away fans in a crowd of around 9,500 IIRC.

One of my all time favourite away days!

Yeah and it was made up of a chelsea fans and lots of clubs supporters. LOL! I was there. :lol:

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 26 Aug 2011 01:03

Fluff Bournemouth away, on a wet Thursday night. We took a few down for that.

I was there for that too! mark mckeever season. :lol:

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 26 Aug 2011 01:05

I remember going to fulham in a cup game, where fulhams main stand wasn't 'complete with seats'. But I think this is way before that time.

Fluff

by Fluff » 26 Aug 2011 01:08

No Fixed Abode

Er, don't think so

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 26 Aug 2011 01:25

I was in the Hammersmith end. We had been stuck in traffic and just got there as Mick kicked out and got sent off. We lost 1-0 to a really shit Fulham team but we still went up that season. As for Fulham whatever happened to them?

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 26 Aug 2011 02:34

No Fixed Abode

Same, was a great night that one. Would have thought we took more to oxford around the same time when they replaced their goalie and lee hodges scored.

" whose been eating GM foods".....back in the good days.

Wide and Wonderful
Location: I don't know how to put this but I'm kind of a big deal.

by Wide and Wonderful » 26 Aug 2011 02:37

Jackson Corner

I was in the Hammersmith end. We had been stuck in traffic and just got there as Mick kicked out and got sent off. We lost 1-0 to a really shit Fulham team but we still went up that season. As for Fulham whatever happened to them?

Fulham were bottom of the table and we were top of the league - I still maintain that we should have gotten a penalty after Uwe was hauled to the ground. Strange how it still annoys me today...........

#sings "You've got Reading in your end" to the tune of bread of heaven#

RFCMod

by RFCMod » 26 Aug 2011 06:44

Ian Herring
RFCMod

Pretty sure this was Kirbs, unless my memory serves me wrong. (We were utterly laggered).

Spot on

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 04 Jun 2012 11:03

bloody Volvo driver what about AFCB away in 1994. Last game of the season (and we'd already won the league), moved to a Thursday night due to Dorset's finest still being a little twitchy about policing "high profile" end of season games after Leeds re-decorated the town 3-4 years before.

Not sure exactly how many went, but it must have been 3/4/5,000. AFCB also managed to p*** off their own, who stood on the long thin terrace to the right of the Brighton Beach Terrace (as it was) as they got shunted elsewhere to accomodate the travelling contingent. Not happy bunnies despite their gate receipts being vastly increased.

Supposed to be a promotion party, real damp squib, lost 1-2 and it threw it down all evening, so those of us on the BBT got absolutely drenched.

iirc it was Steve Cotterill that scored the winner for them. Quinn scored his 40th of the season that game

Away to Swindon that season or the season after, Midweek in mid September, got rained on all game, lost 1-0. Bloke in rocking' robin costume got dragged into the away end, his head was thrown around for quite a while. Took loads of fans, shocking game

who are ya?
Hob Nob Regular

by who are ya? » 04 Jun 2012 11:20

How many did we take to Ashton G8 for the 3-3 draw, I remember it feeling like we had far more than was actually there.

I got my leg stuck in between my seat that day... It hurt