Where does Simon Church fit in now?

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Where does Simon Church fit in now?

by roadrunner » 07 Sep 2011 12:47

Row Z Royal
zummerset Church could always come down here... there are lots of barn doors that he could try and hit until he gets his confidence back

Which will be never.

Hitting the barn doors or his confidence?

Not a lot of love for poor ol' Churchy on here. Someone tweet him the link, it might have the Long effect on him, that or destroy him completely.

urz13
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The following statement is false. The previous statement is true.

by urz13 » 07 Sep 2011 12:50

He does have some strengths though; he can shoot from range better than from 3 yards out :wink:

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 07 Sep 2011 12:52

best long shot of any of our strikers imo
also best at playing on the shoulder of the CB(though not with alot of competition)
if we had matejovski/gylfi, or someone else who could play through balls hed be ok.

zummerset

by zummerset » 07 Sep 2011 12:53

He also gets paid a shed load of money (compared to normal folk) to kick a ball around so we do have the right to bitch if what he is supposed to good at is rarely evidenced

Duke the Dog

by Duke the Dog » 07 Sep 2011 13:00

You can add young Bignall to that list as well (although I know he's injured). Having seen very little of him (he's quick isn't he?) or BW I wouldn't know where to rate either of them.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 07 Sep 2011 13:01

roadrunner
Row Z Royal
zummerset Church could always come down here... there are lots of barn doors that he could try and hit until he gets his confidence back

Which will be never.

Hitting the barn doors or his confidence?

Not a lot of love for poor ol' Churchy on here. Someone tweet him the link, it might have the Long effect on him, that or destroy him completely.

I'd love to but I expect I've been blocked by now. 8)

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 07 Sep 2011 13:06

zummerset He also gets paid a shed load of money (compared to normal folk) to kick a ball around so we do have the right to bitch if what he is supposed to good at is rarely evidenced

sometimes good players dont have their strengths played to in a team set up.

& im still notsure what costant bitching achieves though.

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 07 Sep 2011 13:23

brendywendy
zummerset He also gets paid a shed load of money (compared to normal folk) to kick a ball around so we do have the right to bitch if what he is supposed to good at is rarely evidenced

sometimes good players dont have their strengths played to in a team set up.

& im still notsure what costant bitching achieves though.

Agree brendy ...lets stop the bitching...he's crap end of...now we can move on :wink:

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 07 Sep 2011 13:25

Row Z Royal I'd love to but I expect I've been blocked by now. 8)

I politly said to him that it can't be easy being 4th choice a week or so ago and would he be going out on loan? :lol: Tried to be nice and encouraging at the same time LOL. Not blocked, but it did encourage a reply of "I just want to get back playing for Reading".

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 07 Sep 2011 13:29

roadrunner
Row Z Royal I'd love to but I expect I've been blocked by now. 8)

I politly said to him that it can't be easy being 4th choice a week or so ago and would he be going out on loan? :lol: Tried to be nice and encouraging at the same time LOL. Not blocked, but it did encourage a reply of "I just want to get back playing for Reading".

...isnt going to happen...he's never done enough to command first team selection...maybe if he'd settle for Reading
Town he may be ok :wink:

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 07 Sep 2011 13:39

Duke the Dog You can add young Bignall to that list as well (although I know he's injured). Having seen very little of him (he's quick isn't he?) or BW I wouldn't know where to rate either of them.

Brett Williams sounds like a rerun of Dave Mooney in the making ...worth a punt but not cutting it so he will eventually find his level at a lower league club

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 07 Sep 2011 13:49

DOYLERSAROYALER
Duke the Dog You can add young Bignall to that list as well (although I know he's injured). Having seen very little of him (he's quick isn't he?) or BW I wouldn't know where to rate either of them.

Simon Church sounds like a rerun of Dave Mooney in the making ...worth a punt but not cutting it so he will eventually find his level at a lower league club

Looks about right.

Duke the Dog

by Duke the Dog » 07 Sep 2011 17:10

I thought he was on loan to Exeter? Are you sure he's injured?

You are correct, Exeter it is/was. O/S says "he recently picked up a knee injury after starting 4 games".

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Sep 2011 18:30

Friday's Legacy
his goalscoring has received much criticism, but his movement often gets praised - so could he be worth a try in an attacking midfield role instead? it's a position that nobody has claimed as their own yet.

Believe he had a bit of a go there towards the start of last season and wasn't particularly good.

I dunno what the answer is, he's got a lot of talent and he can finish. I just wonder if he's got the mental attributes to succeed, he's gone nowhere but downhill since Gylfi left and his dad died unfortunately.

I get the feeling it's one of those fresh start elsewhere jobs.

grey_squirrel

by grey_squirrel » 07 Sep 2011 20:39

We have too many comfortable "I love being at Reading" players. Tabb is another one........ and probably all too appreciative of the wages they are earning without turning a wheel.

Now I am all for dedication, commitment and loyalty - and I am not for one minute suggesting they have the Winston Bogarde syndrome - but I cannot but help getting the distinct impression they are wearing carpet slippers. Big contract. No pressure.

A boot up the arse is needed. If I underperform in my job, that is what I get.

How Church still manages to be considered for the Wales squad is beyond belief

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 07 Sep 2011 20:47

Ideal Ian Royal, it would be perfect for him to go out on loan to a lesser league, preferably to one of the better teams.
Then he could get some experience in the goalscoring department.

I don't understand why we haven't loaned him out already, maybe he doesn't want to go?

Like when Long could've done with a loan spell, Church hasn't been able to have any time anyway recently because we just don't (or at least didn't) have enough in credible alternatives to him for us to afford to let him go.

He's never been much of a goalscoring, and his finishing isn't that great (he's missed some shockers and always contrives to let the keeper or defender make a save/block his shots), so he shouldn't be expected to be a prolific scorer. He needs a lift by the sounds of things but I don't think his long term success will be dependant on his goals return.

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 07 Sep 2011 23:05

He doesn't

georgerob

by georgerob » 07 Sep 2011 23:50

I think Church needs to be given a run of games in the Reading side and then his confidence and performances will start to improve. Last season Church never had a prolonged spell of games in the Reading side and was never really given much of a opportunity to showcase what he can do on the pitch. As well the few appearances he made he scored vital goals.
In his debut season for Reading Church scored more than 10 goals which is impressive. I think Church is a good squad player for Reading as Hunt is injury prone and Manset has fitness issues, therefore Church still could feature a lot this season.

jonnyroyal1871

by jonnyroyal1871 » 08 Sep 2011 00:38

Bignall back now after knee injury at Exeter. Saw him twice, not very convincing sorry to say, but in his favour, Exeter have had a desperate start to the season, and didn't create much for him.

rfc2001

by rfc2001 » 08 Sep 2011 02:20

Church isn't even good enough for league 1 that's how much I rate him!! Sell him and save some wages