Back from the game - Palace

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Back from the game - Palace

by St Pauli » 30 Oct 2011 08:31

Hampshire Royal
SHORT AND CURLY Firstly let me say our much maligned defence was not troubled this afternoon and dealt with most if not everything with ease. (That includes our full backs)

Secondly Dont get downbeat about our home support because apart from a few kids down the front of the Holmesdale end, Palace support is shocking.

Thirdly I thought the ref was poor. Let them get away with tugging, pushing, fowling and then for some strange reason disallowed what looked like a perfectly good goal at the death. Went mental fell over etc etc and then realised it had not been given :oops:
(To be fair I thought they may have had a penalty but it was up the other end and I would have to see the replay. The ref waved their protests away) Still never mind!

Through beer goggles we were by far the better team against a mostly hapless Palarse!
We totally dominated the midfield with Legs and Jem bossing. Gorks and Pearce were faultless. In fact it was hard to pick fault with anyone today.

I consider it 6 points dropped in the last three games. Games that we deserved and should have won!

We are really starting to play as a team and looking good. Roll on Forest.

I was stood right behind you. You falling over was the best comedy moment of the afternoon - apart from the fox and the Beyonce 'lookalike', of course!!
This was the first game I've been to for a looong time and I have to say that I agree with all you've written. We were good. Couldn't see what happened with their penalty appeal, but from where I was it looked like a pen. The kids you spoke about in the Palace end who kept their support going all game were demnstrating against EPPP and fair play to them.

Thats the Holmesdale Fanatics, palace's 'Ultra' grouping. They do that stuff everygame and I was surprised to only see about 20 of them getting involved when you consider they have a bit more support then that, looking at how empty block B was during their 'support boycott' protest for five minutes. Works better when you have both the home and away ends doing it, and whole terrace's empty: http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=OV5RIMKqN1Y

Overall a good day out with good support and a few lulz at Chelsea in the Cherry Tree cefore the game.

robbieroyal

by robbieroyal » 30 Oct 2011 09:32

Just seen Gorkss "goal" on TFLS and I agree with Brian McD, I can't see any infringement on that goal?? Think we have been stitched up........

Dougie Is God

by Dougie Is God » 30 Oct 2011 09:39

There was around 3-400 Palace fans boycotting the first 5 minutes in protest of the EPPP.
The atmosphere was not good but certainly was not shocking as both sets of fans made some noise at times.
The reason for the poor(ish) atmosphere can be put in part down to the high number of children as part of the
family day and a poor performance by Palace.

As you say it's no surprise that Reading's opposition always seem to play poorly against you as they restrict the opposition
from playing. Reading are well organised and had the measure of some of our young talent buy using pressure that was often physical.
A draw was fair at the end of the day with the ref keeping it even through some poor decisions for both sides, (although both can be
argued) a penalty for us and a goal for you.

If one side deserved a win yesterday though it was Reading who edged it and I'm sure that you will do well for the rest of the season,
especially if you improve on your attack. I can see both sides finishing just outside the play off places. Whatever happens though this
division is certainly going to tight this season.

North Somerset Royal

by North Somerset Royal » 30 Oct 2011 10:28

Franchise FC
UTDSTEVE
rhroyal Before the game, would have taken a draw away at a form team. Having been there, a point is a bad result. We were far better than them, made the better chances and were denied by the ref in the final minute. We need to start winning all these games we deserve to if we're serious about promotion.

On paper, 3 points from our last 3 games is a good return. In reality, it should have been 9. Imagine how much a better position we'd be in with that...

Denied by the ref???? I havnt seen a more blatant penalty not given in a long time? That's the worst palace have played all season yet you couldn't beat them. Mid table finish for you if that display is anything to go by.

I had the 'privilege' of sitting behind the goal we defended in the second half. Feds clearly got the ball first - so no pen.
The disallowed goal was nearly 150 yards away so I've no idea about that one - so clearly should have been allowed :wink:

I agree def no pen. I was sat in the main stand and Fed certainly got the ball first. Even the Palce fans around me agreed it was not a pen and also thought themselves very fortunate that the ref disallowed the goal. Overall however a draw was a fair result.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 30 Oct 2011 11:07

North Somerset Royal I agree def no pen. I was sat in the main stand and Fed certainly got the ball first. Even the Palce fans around me agreed it was not a pen and also thought themselves very fortunate that the ref disallowed the goal. Overall however a draw was a fair result.

Ref was in perfect position too, followed play and had an unobstructed view of the incident.

The Rouge
Hob Nob Regular

by The Rouge » 30 Oct 2011 13:14

As I saw it:

- We looked like the home team for most of the game. We, especially in the second half, had the territorial advantage and were camped in their half at times.
- Gorkss/Pearce/Jem/Ledge played very well.
- We probably would have won if the crossing had be good. We had the opportunity to get good crosses in about 20-25 times but had 3-4 good crosses all match.
- When I saw it live I thought Le Fondre (or was it Hunt?) was blocking the keeper unfairly, but as I say that was on watching it live from the stands.

Vic_Flange

by Vic_Flange » 30 Oct 2011 13:46

Huntley & Palmer All i know is ahving attended my first away game this year. our support is full of even more mongtards than usual

Still, at least the mongtards can spelll, eeh?

Carlos

by Carlos » 30 Oct 2011 15:14

Was checking out 101 soccer goals just now and came across this video shot behind the goal where the possible penalty was:

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodispl ... -15622098/

Looks absolutely stonewall.

manny96

by manny96 » 30 Oct 2011 15:27

Ideal
Carlos Was checking out 101 soccer goals just now and came across this video shot behind the goal where the possible penalty was:

Buuuuuuulllllllllsssssshhhhhhehheheeeeeeeiiiiiittttttttttt!

GK clearly gets the ball first. Watch it, ball clearly changes direction - then Parr tumbles over afterwards.
Although there could be a penalty given, it's not "stonewall" in any way, since the GK gets the ball first - and the ref agrees with me, so at least here is a +1 at the very minimum.

Although close, it's not easy to be sure - being at a low level makes it harder to see the ball change direction. I'd like to see it from a normal tv camera height. Was certain Feds got the ball from the away section but that is a mile off.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 30 Oct 2011 15:44

manny96
Ideal
Carlos Was checking out 101 soccer goals just now and came across this video shot behind the goal where the possible penalty was:

GK clearly gets the ball first. Watch it, ball clearly changes direction - then Parr tumbles over afterwards.
Although there could be a penalty given, it's not "stonewall" in any way, since the GK gets the ball first - and the ref agrees with me, so at least here is a +1 at the very minimum.

Although close, it's not easy to be sure - being at a low level makes it harder to see the ball change direction. I'd like to see it from a normal tv camera height. Was certain Feds got the ball from the away section but that is a mile off.

I bet most refs would like to get a view from the TV camera angle as well :roll:

manny96

by manny96 » 30 Oct 2011 16:22

Franchise FC I bet most refs would like to get a view from the TV camera angle as well :roll:

:| Great.

If you still hate Futcher

by If you still hate Futcher » 30 Oct 2011 16:49

Ideal

Watching it live I thought Feds got the ball but was expecting the ref to give it - if you watch the slow motion replay carefully you can see that Feds gets downward pressure on the ball and then their player goes over.

From what I've seen of Palace this season (TV highlights admittedly) their threat is from their 2 wide players so credit to both full backs for keeping them quiet throughout the game. Of the 2 Cummings had more trouble at the start but then got on top of his winger and looked comfortable after that. Pearce (my MOTM) looks to be getting better and better and is really building a great understanding with Gorkss. Although they had some periods of pressure, especially with the corners at the end, I can't really remember a save of note for Feds (only the tip over the bar) and the whole defence and Centre-mids played well as a unit. Speroni, on the other hand, was kept fairly busy throughout the game. Was certain it was a good goal at the time and the replays I've seen only back that up.

Overall another game we've dominated and could've (possible should've) won, I was really surprised how bad we made Palace look.
Last edited by If you still hate Futcher on 30 Oct 2011 17:02, edited 1 time in total.

by If you still hate Futcher » 30 Oct 2011 17:04

I wouldn't necessarily blame Church, I don't think any of our wingers have reached top form yet, Hal seems to be struggling especially and Jimmy has seemed disinterested all season so there's not an awful lot of supply going into the front 2.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 30 Oct 2011 17:42

Dougie Is God There was around 3-400 Palace fans boycotting the first 5 minutes in protest of the EPPP.
The atmosphere was not good but certainly was not shocking as both sets of fans made some noise at times.
The reason for the poor(ish) atmosphere can be put in part down to the high number of children as part of the
family day and a poor performance by Palace.

As you say it's no surprise that Reading's opposition always seem to play poorly against you as they restrict the opposition
from playing. Reading are well organised and had the measure of some of our young talent buy using pressure that was often physical.
A draw was fair at the end of the day with the ref keeping it even through some poor decisions for both sides, (although both can be
argued) a penalty for us and a goal for you.

If one side deserved a win yesterday though it was Reading who edged it and I'm sure that you will do well for the rest of the season,
especially if you improve on your attack. I can see both sides finishing just outside the play off places. Whatever happens though this
division is certainly going to tight this season.

Thanks for the contribution and good luck for the rest of the season.

by If you still hate Futcher » 30 Oct 2011 17:47

Was anyone else reminded of Martin Hicks' goal at Selhurst Park by Gorkss' left foot drive in the 1st half

The more I think about our chances yesterday, the more I can't believe we haven't won - even without the disallowed goal

Cookie

by Cookie » 30 Oct 2011 18:47

Royal Rother
UTDSTEVE
rhroyal Before the game, would have taken a draw away at a form team. Having been there, a point is a bad result. We were far better than them, made the better chances and were denied by the ref in the final minute. We need to start winning all these games we deserve to if we're serious about promotion.

On paper, 3 points from our last 3 games is a good return. In reality, it should have been 9. Imagine how much a better position we'd be in with that...

Denied by the ref???? I havnt seen a more blatant penalty not given in a long time? That's the worst palace have played all season yet you couldn't beat them. Mid table finish for you if that display is anything to go by.

Lots of teams seem to be reserving their worst display of the season for when they play Reading.

Odd that.

Nice one - I was about to make that point but I read through the whole thread and saw you made it first.
It really annoys me when the so-called quality newspapers make that same observation (probably based on a newsfeed) when the give the Championship tiny column inches and probably never sent a journalist to the match anyway.

Royals-lad14

by Royals-lad14 » 30 Oct 2011 19:18

Ideal
If you still hate Futcher I wouldn't necessarily blame Church, I don't think any of our wingers have reached top form yet, Hal seems to be struggling especially and Jimmy has seemed disinterested all season so there's not an awful lot of supply going into the front 2.

Well, it would probably help if we had a left footed left winger, then they could cross it on just one touch, not having to stop and put it on the right foot.

hal robson kanu??

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 30 Oct 2011 19:22

All the wingers are too busy fannying around trying to beat the whole other team, when they'd be more effective just crossing earlier

grey_squirrel

by grey_squirrel » 30 Oct 2011 20:04

For the 3rd game running I thought we played some excellent stuff - especially around their box. Neat intricate passing. Just we a shame we again didn't have the killer instinct.

Thought Mikele and Jem were outstanding and Kaspers and Pierce were solid, although they did only really had an out of sorts Murray to contend with.

Thought their midget Jonathan Williams looked good in centre mid.

Palace did miss a trick second half by failing to pump the ball at all to Zaha. After Mills got his yellow for clattering him infront of us in the first half (seen red given for that), I was worried they would exploit this in the second, but thankfully they didn't. Still credit to Mills, Zaha only really rinsed him the once and he was able to match him for speed. Credit where it is due and hopefully this experience will be good for him. Very happy to be proved wrong over him. Time will tell.

As mentioned here, credit must go the the Palace Holmesdale End Block B boys for their EPPP protest. Missing the first 5 minutes of the game may not seem much but these guys aren't afraid to stand up for their beliefs - and show it. Good on them. With their non stop 90 minute vocal support, we could learn a lot from them too!

Dougie Is God

by Dougie Is God » 30 Oct 2011 20:39

grey_squirrel For the 3rd game running I thought we played some excellent stuff - especially around their box. Neat intricate passing. Just we a shame we again didn't have the killer instinct.

Thought Mikele and Jem were outstanding and Kaspers and Pierce were solid, although they did only really had an out of sorts Murray to contend with.

Thought their midget Jonathan Williams looked good in centre mid.

Palace did miss a trick second half by failing to pump the ball at all to Zaha. After Mills got his yellow for clattering him infront of us in the first half (seen red given for that), I was worried they would exploit this in the second, but thankfully they didn't. Still credit to Mills, Zaha only really rinsed him the once and he was able to match him for speed. Credit where it is due and hopefully this experience will be good for him. Very happy to be proved wrong over him. Time will tell.

As mentioned here, credit must go the the Palace Holmesdale End Block B boys for their EPPP protest. Missing the first 5 minutes of the game may not seem much but these guys aren't afraid to stand up for their beliefs - and show it. Good on them. With their non stop 90 minute vocal support, we could learn a lot from them too!

Zaha has easily been our best player this season but yesterday after he got a clobbering from Mills and receiving a yellow card he became frustrated and so was not in the game. Easily his worst game of the season and the main reason why Palace just were ineffective yesterday.

Inside of the Holmesdale for the first 5 minutes yesterday; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60fiAoRMft4