Run-in thread

Tails
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Run-in thread

by Tails » 02 Apr 2012 11:01

We may have a fighting chance with a four point cushion.

I would not be surprised if WHU pull something out of the bag - another team may crumble to a sizeable defeat if WHU play with the same intensity as the first 20 minutes.

Lets hope we have truly knocked the stuffing out of them.

Wizard
Hob Nob Addict

by Wizard » 02 Apr 2012 11:02

melonhead sorry Wiz- i know you are in the -early relationship phase and everything, but if we are going up that day, you have to be there.
especially if the other option is a wedding of someone you dont know.

the missus needs to understand this.

:lol: I already told her I'll be with her, don't want her to be upset and go on her own, and she is more important than this football club to me anyway.

Tails
Hob Nob Regular

by Tails » 02 Apr 2012 11:03

Wizard
melonhead sorry Wiz- i know you are in the -early relationship phase and everything, but if we are going up that day, you have to be there.

:lol: I already told her I'll be with her, don't want her to be upset and go on her own, and she is more important than this football club to me anyway.

:|

:arrow:

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 02 Apr 2012 11:08

Hope the KUMB users aren't reading this thread

We'll become a laughing stock :(

mr_number
Hob Nob Regular

by mr_number » 02 Apr 2012 11:11

Come on Wiz, this is just how football works. Tell the bird you'll be at the game.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 02 Apr 2012 11:20

Ask them to move the wedding to Birmingham early in the morning or late afternoon.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 02 Apr 2012 11:20

Cool - so you ARE going to the Stone Roses gig after all

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 02 Apr 2012 11:26

The Prisoner Number of teams to play with something left to play for:

Reading 5 (discounted - Palace. 4 promotion rivals, 1 relegation candidate)
Southampton 4 (discounted - Palace & Peterboro. 2 promo, 2 rele)
West Ham 4 (discounted - Barnsley & Leicester. 3 promo, 1 rele, tho Hull may be out of it, or Leicester might be back in by time they play)

Whilst this is interesting, I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that there's no evidence to suggest teams that have something to play for actually peform any better. In fact it often seems to be the case that teams who have nothing to play for are more difficult to play against as they have zero pressure on them. On that basis, I'm actually quite happy with our run in. Teams will be fearful of playing us now, particularly after Saturday's result.

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 02 Apr 2012 11:28

southbank1871
Whilst this is interesting, I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that there's no evidence to suggest teams that have something to play for actually peform any better. In fact it often seems to be the case that teams who have nothing to play for are more difficult to play against as they have zero pressure on them. On that basis, I'm actually quite happy with our run in. Teams will be fearful of playing us now, particularly after Saturday's result.

Indeed. I was just chatting with a Brighton fan and he said "I'd rather play anyone other than Reading right now."

I would imagine that Southampton will be saying the same after their result at the weekend too.

Dare to Dr£am
Hob Nob Regular

by Dare to Dr£am » 02 Apr 2012 11:30

winchester_royal Hope the KUMB users aren't reading this thread

We'll become a laughing stock :(

I'm not sure if there's any room after Saturday :lol:

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 02 Apr 2012 11:31

Agent Balti
southbank1871

Indeed. I was just chatting with a Brighton fan and he said "I'd rather play anyone other than Reading right now."

I would imagine that Southampton will be saying the same after their result at the weekend too.

Nobody wants to play Reading at the moment - we're the best team in the league.

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 02 Apr 2012 11:32

Which is probably why we'll lose on Friday against your lot.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 02 Apr 2012 11:33

southbank1871
The Prisoner Number of teams to play with something left to play for:

Reading 5 (discounted - Palace. 4 promotion rivals, 1 relegation candidate)
Southampton 4 (discounted - Palace & Peterboro. 2 promo, 2 rele)
West Ham 4 (discounted - Barnsley & Leicester. 3 promo, 1 rele, tho Hull may be out of it, or Leicester might be back in by time they play)

Teams with "nothing to play for" still want to finish as high up the league as possible as it means more of a % in the bonus they receive. Plus you have the in-game bonus' such as clean sheet, goals, assists etc - then there are the players who may want to move to a better club in the summer so will bust a gut to impress the opposition manager.

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular

by southbank1871 » 02 Apr 2012 11:34

'xactly, so combine that without the pressure of promotion or relegation and you have a potential banana skin.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 02 Apr 2012 11:38

southbank1871 'xactly, so combine that without the pressure of promotion or relegation and you have a potential banana skin.

So what this shows then is not one of any of the remaining games we have is easy. If we don't turn up in the right frame of mind, then we've had it!

Elmer Park

by Elmer Park » 02 Apr 2012 11:39

Putting aside Wizard's choice between sex and the (Birmingham) City our win on Saturday might have changed the dynamic of the run in a little.

We are now probably the favourites for second place (at least) in a lot of people's eyes and in fact I have read several media reports more or less implying it's all over which it definitely isn't. That could put a little more pressure on us and maybe release a little from West Ham, although after their result on Saturday I would have thought Southampton must be feeling a little more nervous now..

Unfortunately I find it hard to see either West Ham or Southampton slipping up against Barnsley or Portsmouth but if we can get the three points against Leeds it will maintain the status quo. If all three teams had equal run ins on paper I would feel very confident. The difficulty of our run in evens things out a bit but what a chance we have now.

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular

by southbank1871 » 02 Apr 2012 11:39

Barry the bird boggler
southbank1871 'xactly, so combine that without the pressure of promotion or relegation and you have a potential banana skin.

So what this shows then is not one of any of the remaining games we have is easy. If we don't turn up in the right frame of mind, then we've had it!

But no game in this division is easy, at any time, whoever you play. That’s my point really.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 02 Apr 2012 11:48

Happy days - auto promotion and a tilt at the title both in our own hands

Four wins will see us over the line barring Hammers winning six on the bounce. Three and a draw ought to be enough.

I reckon

Leeds (H) W
Brighton (A) D
Southampton (A) D
Forest (H) D
Palace (H) W
Brum (A) D

10 points - squeaky bum

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular

by southbank1871 » 02 Apr 2012 11:52

Did anyone bet on us winning the league at the start of the season? What odds were we?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 02 Apr 2012 11:52

Maguire
Nobody wants to play Reading at the moment - we're the best team in the league.

Since September 17th...