Agreed, it can't be luck.

I remember when the jibe was "RFC can't beat top-six sides."

We've played 7 of the current top 9 away and won 5 out of 7. That is AWESOME

2 3-1 Won Away at Southampton
3 4-2 Won Away at West Ham
7 1-0 Won Away at Brighton
8 2-0 Won Away at Middlesbro
9 2-0 Won Away at Leicester

5 0-1 Lost Away at Blackpool (Totally good goal disallowed)

6 1-3 Lost Away at Cardiff (We were poor)

15 Points from 7 Away games = 2.14 ppg

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Saints view of last nights game

by Friday's Legacy » 14 Apr 2012 11:39

Snowball Agreed, it can't be luck.

I remember when the jibe was "RFC can't beat top-six sides."

We've played 7 of the current top 9 away and won 5 out of 7. That is AWESOME

2 3-1 Won Away at Southampton
3 4-2 Won Away at West Ham
7 1-0 Won Away at Brighton
8 2-0 Won Away at Middlesbro
9 2-0 Won Away at Leicester

5 0-1 Lost Away at Blackpool (Totally good goal disallowed)

6 1-3 Lost Away at Cardiff (We were poor)

15 Points from 7 Away games = 2.14 ppg

Why do you feel the need to duplicate your stat posts in numerous threads? You have a dedicated thread for them!!

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 14 Apr 2012 11:43

I think the Saints fans are pretty generous with their comments and probably (understandably) a little down about their teams performance when in fact they played pretty well.

Lambert was the best player on the park IMHO but they outplayed us in midfield and we really struggled to retain possession up the pitch. Thought our central midfield really struggled to get to grips with it and didn't seem to be able to control the ball let alone anything else.

Still, this promotion has been founded on a rock solid defence and once again it stood firm without too many scares (despite the barrage of shots they had). Awesome cross from Jimmy for the first and ALF doing what ALF does.

Still convinced Saints will get their deserved promotion though.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 14 Apr 2012 12:01

Friday's Legacy

Why do you feel the need to duplicate your stat posts in numerous threads? You have a dedicated thread for them!!

I don't. This was a discussion about whether we had been lucky. The stats show we weren't

And I then copied the stat to the stats thread for posterity

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 14 Apr 2012 13:38

People can go on about being dominated ( and we were) but if two of southamptons players of the season i.e lambert and lallana were missing just like karacan and liegertwood were missing, they'd also suffer massively. We were overrun in the middle of the park because mullins and tabb are backup players who have hardly started at all let alone started in the team together since they've been at the club add to that saints had an extra days rest.

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 14 Apr 2012 13:41

I don't think Karacan or Leigertwood would have made much difference. Saints style is getting the ball out wide and feed the strikers with crosses. Cummings was superb last night. He had to be to keep Lallana from cutting in like he often does and always showed him down the line. Harte too did well on the left.

We rode our luck but every team does to a point. We were the fitter side and when they tired and lacked ideas we upped a gear and took advantage. It's a game of tactics and Brian got it spot on again.

A point would have done, but that wasn't enough for McDermott. He took a central midfielder off and brought on a third striker, and boy did it pay off!!

We deserved that win!

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 14 Apr 2012 13:51

Friday's Legacy I don't think Karacan or Leigertwood would have made much difference. Saints style is getting the ball out wide and feed the strikers with crosses.

Yeah and how are they going to do that if they don't have the ball? :roll:

Karacan and lege would have kept the ball much better than the two last night ( tabb had 3/4 first touches that went straight to saints players and that probably aided him being taken off). As much as i've given karacan stick in the past last night was exactly his sort of game, he has a lot more energy than anyone else and would have harried saints all night - lege although he isn't creative still finds space with some of his passes and holds the ball well in midfield. They had way too much time on the ball because we werent pressing them enough and were too slow closing down. Their goal came from their lad having way too much time to pop a ball in the box for instance. If you want an honest assessment mullins and tabb were pretty pedestrian in midfield and it was frustrating to watch. Karacan and lege are by far and away our best two players for that position, hopefully lege is back on tuesday and comes in for tabb.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 14 Apr 2012 14:01

FiNeRaIn People can go on about being dominated ( and we were) but if two of southamptons players of the season i.e lambert and lallana were missing just like karacan and liegertwood were missing, they'd also suffer massively. We were overrun in the middle of the park because mullins and tabb are backup players who have hardly started at all let alone started in the team together since they've been at the club add to that saints had an extra days rest.

both players (tabb,mullins) who probably wont be in our prem squad next season (well hope not)

PremAddict
Hob Nob Regular

by PremAddict » 14 Apr 2012 14:05

SCIAG
FiNeRaIn We can't sit back and absorb pressure against teams the way we are now, we will be hammered.

I can't see us being able to play like that at Old Trafford and get a result.

But we did do just that in the '06-'07 season.

I think this time will be different. We now have the funds to purchase good-enough players (and hold on to those we already have) and the manager who can get the most out of them.

LumpWarden

by LumpWarden » 14 Apr 2012 14:15

hammers up 3-0 - squeeky bum time for saints

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 14 Apr 2012 18:26

Some on their forum are conceding play-off's after West Ham's result, and others still argue we weren't defensively sound last night.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 14 Apr 2012 18:38

If I had to wager some money on it right now....I reckon us 1st & WHU 2nd. Reckon Saints are going to blow it now which is a shame having been there all season. Think WHU will get max points & finish on 88.

Therefore I predict 89 points will be enough to give us the title...

If WHU beat Bristol & Cov beat Millwall on Tuesday (very possible), then Cov will only be a point behind Bristol & will have something to play for against Saints. Can see Saints winning on Tue, but then screwing up against Boro & Cov.

Everything swung in WHU's favour today IMO.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 14 Apr 2012 18:57

MmmMonsterMunch Everything swung in WHU's favour today IMO.

In so much as they won? I'd still much rather be in Southampton's boot
s.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 14 Apr 2012 19:00

Maguire

s.

In so much as they clawed most of the GD issue back & Leicester lost meaning they are pretty much out of the play off hunt barring miracles now. No reason why they won't claim all 9 points now.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 14 Apr 2012 19:18

MmmMonsterMunch
Maguire

s.

In so much as they clawed most of the GD issue back & Leicester lost meaning they are pretty much out of the play off hunt barring miracles now. No reason why they won't claim all 9 points now.

We'll see

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 14 Apr 2012 19:20

I honestly think they will win all 3. They will thrash BC on Tue & by the end of Tue will probably have an equal / better GD than Saints. They could easily both finish on 88 & then GD decides it IMO.

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 14 Apr 2012 19:29

MmmMonsterMunch I honestly think they will win all 3. They will thrash BC on Tue & by the end of Tue will probably have an equal / better GD than Saints. They could easily both finish on 88 & then GD decides it IMO.

Bristol City are in a relegation scrap, are at home, will have a good crowd behind them, and you expect West Ham to walk over them as easy as that? Perhaps you have forgotten just how unpredictable this league is? Bristol City could well be the club that do us and Saints a favour. All we can do is look after ourselves. I couldn't care less about West Ham or Saints. Our run in is cracking, very winnable, and we will tie this up before Birmingham IMO.

arthurfondrelli

by arthurfondrelli » 14 Apr 2012 19:37

Imagine the negativity if we'd have lost last night :shock:

Saints have gone from world beaters to strugglers

West Ham have gone from strugglers to world beaters

Surely one game for both these teams won't change their fortunes..

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 14 Apr 2012 19:44

Friday's Legacy
MmmMonsterMunch I honestly think they will win all 3. They will thrash BC on Tue & by the end of Tue will probably have an equal / better GD than Saints. They could easily both finish on 88 & then GD decides it IMO.

Bristol City are in a relegation scrap, are at home, will have a good crowd behind them, and you expect West Ham to walk over them as easy as that? Perhaps you have forgotten just how unpredictable this league is? Bristol City could well be the club that do us and Saints a favour. All we can do is look after ourselves. I couldn't care less about West Ham or Saints. Our run in is cracking, very winnable, and we will tie this up before Birmingham IMO.

Not worried about us now - think we're going to do it. I do however think the momentum has swung WHU's way now & they may well get the other spot.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 14 Apr 2012 19:45

They have a fantastic record away from home & will thrash BC - you heard it here first.

138 posts