Premier League squad rules & how they may affect us

283 posts
Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Premier League squad rules & how they may affect us

by Simon's Church » 19 Apr 2012 14:56

Snowball BTW Do Scots and Irish count as home-grown?

Yes, as long as they are home-grown.

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 19 Apr 2012 15:07

Simon's Church
Snowball BTW Do Scots and Irish count as home-grown?

Yes, as long as they are home-grown.

S. Hunt with a youth career at Palace and Brentford is home grown for Wolves, whereas N. Hunt's youth career in Ireland and Scotland means he is not.

Ironic being brothers...

But its a clever way around legal challenges I guess. And the FA couldn't care less about English youth being pushed aside for worldwide teenagers - these will be eligible for a British passport if they are homegrown!

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 19 Apr 2012 15:28

blueroyals Not sure what the fuss is all about. I doubt we've used many more than 25 players this season already. .

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 19 Apr 2012 16:44

I think this rule could result in more changes to the squad than would have happened in the past.

Take Church. We have room for about 5 strikers in the squad so it will be a big risk if we include him as one of them. I think we will retain Roberts, Hunt and ALF and we need some new blood, so I could see Church being sold or loaned out.

Griffin might also have got another year - but if we take a risk on giving a year to Harte it is very unlikely we will also retain a second older player.

In centre mid I really don't see us keeping BOTH Mullins and Tabb. I think we will either sign Mullins and release Tabb or just let Mullins loan end – otherwise there is no room for new blood there either.

Cwyka could also be unfortunate as even if he has potential he would be a big risk to include in just 25.

Clearly the likes of Gunnar, Howard, Baseya, Bignall and Williams have no chance of being retained.

Some have said let Sheppard and Morrison go, but both will qualify as under 21 so they are more likely to be retained I would have thought - as they are extra players over and above the 25.

So overall we could see a lot of change this summer.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 19 Apr 2012 16:56

melonhead
blueroyals Not sure what the fuss is all about. I doubt we've used many more than 25 players this season already. .

Many of whom were U21 and so aren't part of the squad.

We can discount HG rules as we've been following them anyway, most PL clubs meet them easily (exceptions: Chelsea, Man City). The squad limit of 25 players should also be easy to meet once we get rid of deadwood. Our squad this season has essentially been:

Federici
McCarthy
Andersen
Griffin
Cummings
Pearce
Gorkss
Khumalo/Connolly
Harte
Mills
Legs
Karacan
Tabb
Kebe
McAnuff
HRK
Extra winger
Le Fondre
Church
Roberts
Hunt
Manset

That's 22 players, assuming we "upgrade" Griffin, Mills and Church and bring in a regular fourth winger (none of Antonio, Cywka and Afobe have looked like making that spot there own, Obita (and for that matter Afobe) won't count) and a third centre back then we'll still have room for three signings or unnecessary players (Morrison, for example). It is very unlikely to affect us.

Optimist

by Optimist » 19 Apr 2012 17:18

Was going to start a 25-man squad thread.

At the moment, my 25-man squad for next season would be:

Keepers:
Federici
Andersen
McCarthy

Full Backs:
Cummings
Harte
Mills
Connolly (Signed Permanently)

Centre Backs:
Gorkss
Pearce
NEW SIGNING
Morrison

Midfielder/Defender:
Mullins

Wingers:
Kebe
McAnuff
Antonio

Centre Midfielders:
Leigertwood
Karacan
NEW SIGNING
Tabb

Midfielder/Striker:
Robson-Kanu

Strikers:
Roberts
NEW SIGNING
Le Fondre
Hunt
Church

Retained for Cup games and/or to be loaned out: Griffin, Shepphard, Obita, D'Ath, other kids.
Out: Gunnarsson :cry: , Howard, Manset, Taylor, Bignall, Baseya, Williams, Cywka :( , Afobe.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 19 Apr 2012 17:42

Sheppard and Morrison don't count in the 25 as they were only aged 20 on 1st Jan 2012 so they are quite valuable players to keep as they could be an answer in an injury emergency.

And Mr Optimist - I just cannot see us just adding 3 new signings plus Connolly. I expect a more radical overhaul myself. The likes of Antonio for example are very unlikley to be in the 25 as he is unproven but would count. If we think he has potential I would expect us to lend him out to a Championship club next season.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 19 Apr 2012 17:47

Plus if we think he is any good Afobe would be a good signing on a season long loan as he would not count in the 25 either.

Optimist

by Optimist » 19 Apr 2012 17:55

andrew1957 Sheppard and Morrison don't count in the 25 as they were only aged 20 on 1st Jan 2012 so they are quite valuable players to keep as they could be an answer in an injury emergency.

And Mr Optimist - I just cannot see us just adding 3 new signings plus Connolly. I expect a more radical overhaul myself. The likes of Antonio for example are very unlikley to be in the 25 as he is unproven but would count. If we think he has potential I would expect us to lend him out to a Championship club next season.

I don't see a radical overhaul tbh, there wasn't one last time - Seol was the only new addition in the starting line-up vs Middlesbrough. I reckon there'll only be 1 again; a new striker alongside Roberts.
I'm hoping the 18-man squad on the opening day looks something like:
Federici, Cummings, Pearce, Gorkss, Harte, Kebe, Karacan, Leigertwood, McAnuff, New Signing, Roberts
Subs: McCarthy, New Signing, Mullins, New Signing, Robson-Kanu, Hunt, Le Fondre

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 19 Apr 2012 17:59

Optimist
andrew1957 Sheppard and Morrison don't count in the 25 as they were only aged 20 on 1st Jan 2012 so they are quite valuable players to keep as they could be an answer in an injury emergency.

I don't see a radical overhaul tbh, there wasn't one last time - Seol was the only new addition in the starting line-up vs Middlesbrough. I reckon there'll only be 1 again; a new striker alongside Roberts.
Federici, Cummings, Pearce, Gorkss, Harte, Kebe, Karacan, Leigertwood, McAnuff, New Signing, Roberts

We had a Premier League team already in 2006.

You'd have to admit, surely, that Cummings, Harte, Karacan, Leigertwood, ALF, Hunt, Church are all more suspect when it comes to stepping up than Murty, Shorey, Sidwell, Harper, Kitson, Doyle, Lita etc. Kitson, Sidwell and Shorey would all almost certainly have been playing in the Prem in 06/07 with or without us.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 19 Apr 2012 18:01

- Clubs can supplement squad with unlimited number of players under the age of 21.

Could we then take on a player like Afobe on a season's loan at no cost to the squad number?

- Players loaned to Football League clubs cannot be replaced, but can regain their spot on return to parent club.

Tricky one. Take Simon Church as an example. Say we bring in a Prem-Experienced striker

New-Guy, Roberts, Hunt, Le Fondre (with Sheppard as a back-up being under 21, plus we have HRK)

Could we send Simon out for a season's loan to a Championship side, and he ISN'T one of our 25?
Or does he have to remain a registered player in order to be allowed to be sent out?

Do INCOMING loanees (over-21) count as one of the 25?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 19 Apr 2012 18:08

Ian Royal
You'd have to admit, surely, that Cummings, Harte, Karacan, Leigertwood, ALF, Hunt, Church are all more suspect when it comes to stepping up than Murty, Shorey, Sidwell, Harper, Kitson, Doyle, Lita etc. Kitson, Sidwell and Shorey would all almost certainly have been playing in the Prem in 06/07 with or without us.

I think Cummings will be OK in the Prem, Karacan excellent, Elwood at least "solid" as will be Pearce and Gorkss

I think Alf will shine as a super-sub in the Prem, esp if it becomes a "standard" on for 25-35 mins most games.

I think Noel's all-round game is very good, and he works very hard for his fellow strikers

I love Ian Harte to bits, but there are some scarily fast wingers, and overlapping FBs.

If we decide to retain him for another year and play him first-choice, I think we'll have to
have the winger (McAnuff, presumably) playing even more conservatively.

I'd love McD to find another way to use Harte, maybe as a quarterback/playmaker.

I still wonder if long-term we'll see Jem as a fullback. I think he'd make a great one,
but we'd miss his energy in midfield

Optimist

by Optimist » 19 Apr 2012 18:09

Ian Royal
Optimist

I don't admit that at all in all honesty. This squad is better than last year's and the year before's, which saw off Liverpool, PL Burnley, WBA, Everton, and gave Villa and City great games. I think they can all step up. And lets be honest, despite breaking records the vast majority of us doubted whether the 106ers could step up.
Last edited by Optimist on 19 Apr 2012 18:10, edited 1 time in total.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 19 Apr 2012 18:09

andrew1957 Plus if we think he is any good Afobe would be a good signing on a season long loan as he would not count in the 25 either.

Was thinking that myself. Arsenal rate him highly, and we could probably get him for the season as Roberts' understudy.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 19 Apr 2012 18:48

Snowball - Clubs can supplement squad with unlimited number of players under the age of 21.

Could we then take on a player like Afobe on a season's loan at no cost to the squad number? YES

- Players loaned to Football League clubs cannot be replaced, but can regain their spot on return to parent club.
This means if you loan out one of your 25 you cannot replace them until the next transfer window.
Tricky one. Take Simon Church as an example. Say we bring in a Prem-Experienced striker

New-Guy, Roberts, Hunt, Le Fondre (with Sheppard as a back-up being under 21, plus we have HRK)

Could we send Simon out for a season's loan to a Championship side, and he ISN'T one of our 25? YESOr does he have to remain a registered player in order to be allowed to be sent out? NO - we still own him but if he is loaned out he does not count in the 25Do INCOMING loanees (over-21) count as one of the 25? YES

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 19 Apr 2012 18:50

Optimist

You say there will be one signing and yet you include three in your line up - very confusing.

If we want to be competitive this time we will need to add more than one IMO. I could see us keeping 17 and adding 8 (including Connolly).

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 19 Apr 2012 19:20

We have 51 players in the current RFC squad but clearly many of these are well off playing at PL level.

There are 14 young players in the Development squad who have not yet had a loan at a Football League club and it is doubtful any of these will play PL football next year, so these will most likely either be released or sent out on loan to get experience.

Of the remaining 37 players who have some Football League (or Irish in Sheppard’s case) experience these are again most likely be sent out on loan next season – such as MacDonald, Obita, D’Ath, Hector, Taylor, Sheppard and Morrison.

This brings the remainder down to 30.

It is almost certain that Gunnarsson, Howard, Williams, Bignall and Baseya will be released bringing the squad down to 25.

There are question marks over Antonio, Afobe, Church, Griffin, Cywka, Tabb, Mullins and Manset. Afobe's loan will end.

I think Griffin and Cywka will most likely they will be released to give room in our 25 man squad.

I think Antonio, Church and Manset will be retained but loaned out. I think we will retain one of Tabb and Mullins but not both – this brings the remaining players down to 18 as follows:

Goalkeepers – Fed, McCarthy and Andersen

Right Back – Cummings and Connolly (if we can buy him)

Centre Back – Pearce and Gorkks

Left Back – Harte and Mills

Right Wing – Kebe

Centre Mid – Legs/Karacan/Tabb or Mullins (assuming a one year deal offered as he is on a free at the end of season)

Left Wing – McAnuff/HRK

Strikers – Roberts/Hunt/ALF

The glaring problem is at Centre Back - much as last time we were promoted. The parallels are great as Ingi and Sonko were ever present much as Pearce and Gorkks have been since about game 7. We had little back up then and the same is true now.

We need another full back and I think that we need more at Centre Mid, a winger and one or two more quality players up front.

Additionally Afobe could be given a season long loan if we rate him - as he would not count in the 25.

The one player I would love to see back here is Sigurdsson as he adds a completely new dimension and means we can play 4-2-3-1 which is far more likely to be successful in the PL than a straight 4-4-2.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 19 Apr 2012 21:12

Optimist
Ian Royal
Optimist

I don't admit that at all in all honesty. This squad is better than last year's and the year before's, which saw off Liverpool, PL Burnley, WBA, Everton, and gave Villa and City great games. I think they can all step up. And lets be honest, despite breaking records the vast majority of us doubted whether the 106ers could step up.

I didn't, I expected us to finish at least 14th, probably 12th. 8)

Royals-lad14

by Royals-lad14 » 19 Apr 2012 21:25

personally i think cykwa will be in the 25 man squad, we have only seen about 25 minutes of him soo far and he looked promising i wouldnt get rid just yet, if he doesnt cut it as a back up winger for jobi or jimmy then maybe we should sell him in january or loan him out.

JC
Hob Nob Regular

by JC » 19 Apr 2012 23:30

andrew1957
Snowball - Clubs can supplement squad with unlimited number of players under the age of 21.

Could we then take on a player like Afobe on a season's loan at no cost to the squad number? YES

This means if you loan out one of your 25 you cannot replace them until the next transfer window.

Could we send Simon out for a season's loan to a Championship side, and he ISN'T one of our 25? YESOr does he have to remain a registered player in order to be allowed to be sent out? NO - we still own him but if he is loaned out he does not count in the 25Do INCOMING loanees (over-21) count as one of the 25? YES

Not sure you are right with your last assertion. As I understand it you have to name your 25 at the end of the transfer windows. You do this at the beginning of the season and at the end of January you redefine the 25. If you loan out somebody named in the 25 then you cannot replace them. Similarly if you bring somebody in on loan that can only be done in the transfer window in the PL so you would have to name them in your 25 for them to play.

283 posts