Happy Birthday Robin Friday

Mary Hinge

Re: Happy Birthday Robin Friday

by Mary Hinge » 28 Jul 2012 04:02

HoneyRoastHoax Would have been his 60th today.

You will be remembered for many great things from kicking Lawro in the face to the excellent 75/76 season.

You should all listen to "The man don't give a f*ck" by the super furry animals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsLjmVzZQv8

I Thought he shat in Lawro's kit bag. (Anyway if he kicked him thats ok my me) :D

ankeny
Hob Nob Regular

by ankeny » 28 Jul 2012 08:28

I actually saw him play for Hayes before Hurley signed him,and yes he was our greatest ever player.

who are ya?
Hob Nob Regular

by who are ya? » 28 Jul 2012 12:04

Better than Keith Scott?

ankeny
Hob Nob Regular

by ankeny » 28 Jul 2012 15:34

who are ya? Better than Keith Scott?

Of coarse even though he is dead

oldebiscuit

by oldebiscuit » 29 Jul 2012 20:48

Libertine I will do one of the many things he enjoyed doing in his honor today...hb Robin, wherever you are.

There is nothing worse on this site than the 'Grammar Police' that hang around desperate to point out, with much aplomb, any slip of the keyboard, incorrect use of a comma, or general spelling mistakes. So please libertine, don't think that i am party to those saddo's but when i noticed you had spelt 'Honour' the American way it sort of annoyed me. May i patronisingly say, i hope that this was a genuine mistake or maybe at worst a tribute to Bobby Convey, but i really, really hope that this is not the slow Americanization of our language that has given us annoying names like 'The Plumb Center'. I have absolutely no issues with the USA, and can only admire their pragmatic approach to life, but our language has evolved over thousands of years, and i just think that here in England we should actually attempt to use it correctly.

I am aware that i have probably set myself up to be torn apart by that same 'Grammar Police' or even libertine him/herself and accused of hypocrisy, but wot the fuk?

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 29 Jul 2012 21:09

Might have something to do with Libertine being American. Just a theory.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 30 Jul 2012 02:42

oldebiscuit
Libertine I will do one of the many things he enjoyed doing in his honor today...hb Robin, wherever you are.

There is nothing worse on this site than the 'Grammar Police' that hang around desperate to point out, with much aplomb, any slip of the keyboard, incorrect use of a comma, or general spelling mistakes. So please libertine, don't think that i am party to those saddo's but when i noticed you had spelt 'Honour' the American way it sort of annoyed me. May i patronisingly say, i hope that this was a genuine mistake or maybe at worst a tribute to Bobby Convey, but i really, really hope that this is not the slow Americanization of our language that has given us annoying names like 'The Plumb Center'. I have absolutely no issues with the USA, and can only admire their pragmatic approach to life, but our language has evolved over thousands of years, and i just think that here in England we should actually attempt to use it correctly.

I am aware that i have probably set myself up to be torn apart by that same 'Grammar Police' or even libertine him/herself and accused of hypocrisy, but wot the fuk?

sandman Might have something to do with Libertine being American. Just a theory.

:wink: :D

oldebiscuit

by oldebiscuit » 30 Jul 2012 20:39

Libertine
oldebiscuit

sandman Might have something to do with Libertine being American. Just a theory.

:wink: :D

I confess that i hadn't noticed that and i accept the consequences. I guess that means i'll have to be your slave for the day as punishment.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 31 Jul 2012 03:44

oldebiscuit
I confess that i hadn't noticed that and i accept the consequences. I guess that means i'll have to be your slave for the day as punishment.

:lol:

LOL...none of that. I have made mistakes like that in the past...it happens.

Anyhoo, I didn't want to use the proper English spelling and then be accused of being a poser. I think it is written somewhere (and possibly courtesy of Mark Twain) that it is the duty of all Americans to abuse the language. :wink:

Stuka
Hob Nob Regular

by Stuka » 31 Jul 2012 09:27

I did cringe at oldebiscuit's remarks but he wasn't to know of Libertines nationality.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 03 Aug 2012 16:12

Winnershroyal
Royal Lady He was cremated where most of my family's ashes lie - I don't know whether he has a plaque there or not - might try and find out next time I'm up there.

Was at Breakspear last month, had a cheeky look at the plaques, not seen.

There's LOADS of plaques. If you have the date that he died, they'll look up where he is for you. That's what I plan to do.

el_presidente

by el_presidente » 07 Aug 2012 16:59

Royal Biscuitman There's a random tree somewhere in a park (not in Reading, in London I think) paying tribute to Robin Friday - A nobber did post about it ages ago.

el_presidente

I was wandering through Walpole Park, Ealing the other day when I saw this nice little plaque. I had no idea it was there, I thought it might be of interest. Regards, el_pres

The tree is just inside the S entrance to Walpole Park if anyone is in the area and wants to pay a visit.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 15 Aug 2012 14:17

Think I will. With my no 9 RF shirt on. I'll remember when, as a 15-year old, he signed my programme as he was leaving the ground after a match, walking off into the "sunset" with his cowboy boots on and hippy coat (darn it, what are they called?).

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

by SWLR » 15 Aug 2012 14:52

Man Friday Think I will. With my no 9 RF shirt on. I'll remember when, as a 15-year old, he signed my programme as he was leaving the ground after a match, walking off into the "sunset" with his cowboy boots on and hippy coat (darn it, what are they called?).

Afghan?

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 15 Aug 2012 17:02

Thanks, that's it. (Senility taking hold.)