First Game

Cobi
Hob Nob Regular

Re: First Game

by Cobi » 21 Nov 2012 12:53

But they do the BEST meat and tattie pies you'll find at a football ground!

Optimist

by Optimist » 21 Nov 2012 13:02

RoyalWire No, it's been good really. I'd much rather this than an mid table, nothing ever happens team.

As soon as I drew Reading, I knew that one way or another it would be an eventful season fighting to stay in the PL. If we get relagated, so be it, I'm happy to take the rough with the smooth.

But I dont think that it will happen.

Out of interest, what made you decide to do this in the first place? Were you never into football before? And why do the name out of a hat thing when you could easily have jumped on board with any of the bigger clubs near you? I applaud your efforts so far btw.

RoyalWire

by RoyalWire » 21 Nov 2012 13:36

All the lads at work are in to their football, and me rugby, so it was really to join in the craic with them.

Picked at random was the best way to do it, happy with the luck of the draw too

Sagaris

by Sagaris » 21 Nov 2012 13:45

I'm taking my son and two of his mates to the DW this Sat, it'll be our first time there, leaving only 2 other premiership stadiums we haven't been to yet. Is it really that bad? I hope we take up of our ticket allocation (2,500 I think) mind you that'll still leave about 18,000 empty seats :lol:

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 21 Nov 2012 13:47

RoyalWire All the lads at work are in to their football, and me rugby, so it was really to join in the craic with them.

Picked at random was the best way to do it, happy with the luck of the draw too

Nice one mate. Glad you're enjoying it. I'll be there too.

RoyalWire

by RoyalWire » 21 Nov 2012 13:49

It's quite strange that people are anticipating such a poor turnout/atmosphere as with the rugby, Wigan have a pretty big home following and away travel is always good. When Warrington play there the atmosphere is fantastic.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 21 Nov 2012 14:04

worst attendances in the prem arent they?almost never fill their ground,even when the big guns visit

i say this with no research whatsoever

If you still hate Futcher

by If you still hate Futcher » 21 Nov 2012 14:24

RoyalWire It's quite strange that people are anticipating such a poor turnout/atmosphere as with the rugby, Wigan have a pretty big home following and away travel is always good. When Warrington play there the atmosphere is fantastic.

When we went there for a midweek game (many moons ago) when they were at their old ground we asked in the town for directions to the football and the normal reply we got was "What, the Rugby?". Eventually we did get some sketchy directions from some old bloke which just about sent us in the right direction.

RoyalWire

by RoyalWire » 21 Nov 2012 14:26

What time should I plan to be in the ground? It's only a 20 minute train ride for me, will much be going on around the ground?

Still upset about the lack of pitchside pints ha-ha!

Royalclapper
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalclapper » 21 Nov 2012 14:45

If you still hate Futcher
RoyalWire It's quite strange that people are anticipating such a poor turnout/atmosphere as with the rugby, Wigan have a pretty big home following and away travel is always good. When Warrington play there the atmosphere is fantastic.

When we went there for a midweek game (many moons ago) when they were at their old ground we asked in the town for directions to the football and the normal reply we got was "What, the Rugby?". Eventually we did get some sketchy directions
from some old bloke which just about sent us in the right direction.

Did that one on a couple of occasions. Springfield Park, there was a half grass/half terrace away end. Doubt that would be allowed these days. Think the old rugby league ground was Central Park, saw it a few times but never went inside the stadium.

Stuka
Hob Nob Regular

by Stuka » 21 Nov 2012 14:46

RoyalWire: Just to say enjoy the game mate and keep up the support. Following Reading is very much an exercise in patient, delayed gratification.

RoyalWire

by RoyalWire » 21 Nov 2012 14:58

Stuka RoyalWire: Just to say enjoy the game mate and keep up the support. Following Reading is very much an exercise in patient, delayed gratification.

Thank you kindly!

Mike Hunt
Hob Nob Regular

by Mike Hunt » 21 Nov 2012 15:00

I was thinking about you the other day RW. Glad to see you sticking to it :)

My story is similar to yours, all of my mates loved the football, (I was more of a Rugby League man) and would watch it on Saturday nights (Australian here). They told me that I had to have a team, so I was thinking, and they were showing a Reading game before the Prem games in the 05/06 season. They absolutely battered the team (cannot remember who) and I told my mate that I wanted to go for Reading. He laughed and told me they were in the Championship. I didn't care.

I now know more about football, and follow it more than all of the others.

Funnily enough, I do not care much for the NRL anymore. Refereeing has ruined it. I can understand when some decisions get cocked up in the football, but with the amount of replays and two referees on the pitch, there can be little excuse for how many wrong decisions they give. Oh, and it also could be because I am a Sharks fan (they will come close to winning it next year though, signed some great talent).

RoyalWire

by RoyalWire » 21 Nov 2012 15:02

Mike Hunt I was thinking about you the other day RW. Glad to see you sticking to it :)

My story is similar to yours, all of my mates loved the football, (I was more of a Rugby League man) and would watch it on Saturday nights (Australian here). They told me that I had to have a team, so I was thinking, and they were showing a Reading game before the Prem games in the 05/06 season. They absolutely battered the team (cannot remember who) and I told my mate that I wanted to go for Reading. He laughed and told me they were in the Championship. I didn't care.

Funnily enough, I do not care much for the NRL anymore. Refereeing has ruined it. I can understand when some decisions get cocked up in the football, but with the amount of replays and two referees on the pitch, there can be little excuse for how many wrong decisions they give. Oh, and it also could be because I am a Sharks fan (they will come close to winning it next year though, signed some great talent).

Do they have Carney at 6 next year?

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 21 Nov 2012 15:07

Just a little warning to all you southern pansies coming to the game that it's going to be fooking freezing up here on Saturday. Think Blackpool away last year but worse.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 21 Nov 2012 15:35

melonhead worst attendances in the prem arent they?almost never fill their ground,even when the big guns visit

i say this with no research whatsoever

The DW capacity is 25138. Their average last season was 18634.

For the record QPR averaged 17295 in a stadium with a capacity of 19161.

Swansea City managed 19946 in a 20280 capacity stadium

Therefore Wigan would look to be the worst.....
Last edited by Barry the bird boggler on 21 Nov 2012 15:39, edited 2 times in total.

RoyalWire

by RoyalWire » 21 Nov 2012 15:37

Will there be anwywhere in particular where Reading fans will go for a drink pre-match?

Mike Hunt
Hob Nob Regular

by Mike Hunt » 21 Nov 2012 15:37

RoyalWire
Mike Hunt I was thinking about you the other day RW. Glad to see you sticking to it :)

Do they have Carney at 6 next year?

Yep. He is loving it in Cronulla. But he did have a year "off the radar" at the Roosters, and then went nuts the next year...

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 21 Nov 2012 15:43

RoyalWire What time should I plan to be in the ground? It's only a 20 minute train ride for me, will much be going on around the ground?

Still upset about the lack of pitchside pints ha-ha!

Guess it's pretty much the same ad for RL? Players will come out and go through pre-match warm up routines at aroung 20 past 2, usually a bit of noise from the away following then to welcome them.

Other than that don't expect anything entertaining going on around the ground so not a lot of point in arriving too early IMO unless you want to cruise the local retail park.

RoyalWire

by RoyalWire » 21 Nov 2012 15:45

Mike Hunt Yep. He is loving it in Cronulla. But he did have a year "off the radar" at the Roosters, and then went nuts the next year...

Great player when his mind is on the game