Dave Kitson - Forever a Reading legend!

robb the royal

Re: Dave Kitson - Forever a Reading legend!

by robb the royal » 25 Jan 2013 23:14

While I support the whole cheering ex-Reading players when they announce the teams, can we go back to the playful banter of yester-year as well?
"Reading reject, Reading reject" was always a good one. Just because they are a leg-end for us, doesn't mean we can't take the piss out of them...we used to with Shaka!

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 25 Jan 2013 23:16

wrong thread to be doing this ...but...really?

m9 wtfare you on about

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 25 Jan 2013 23:21

scumbag

by scumbag » 25 Jan 2013 23:26

Absolute legend and will always be remembered fondly. I also enjoy reading his articles as the secret footballer.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 25 Jan 2013 23:33

...but it wasnt him

and if it was...fair play to the truthteller

Elliott

by Elliott » 25 Jan 2013 23:34

:shock:

We have such well dressed fans?!

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 25 Jan 2013 23:37

a dentists paradise

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 25 Jan 2013 23:53

Royal Ginger
WAZZOCK
Alright m9 have a day off

1 better than m8?

yup and m10 is betta dan m9 :P

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 26 Jan 2013 00:20

yes he is. a fantastic player, should never have left Reading. Probably best Reading forward I've seen.

The Rouge
Hob Nob Regular

by The Rouge » 26 Jan 2013 00:22

AthleticoSpizz ...but it wasnt him

and if it was...fair play to the truthteller

i reckon it was (captain who couldn't cross who was bought as a winger, first player in clubs history to get selected for England etc)

Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Scutterbucketz » 26 Jan 2013 00:23

My favourite ever Reading player in 20 years of watching.

I just loved his back story, coming into the game late. Scored some great goals and always seemed an intelligent, well spoken, considered bloke and a fantastic striker. I was gutted when he left and really hoped his loan deal worked out because you could tell he loved this club and I would have loved him to have been here rather than ending up at Pompey.

BenReadingFC
Hob Nob Regular

by BenReadingFC » 26 Jan 2013 00:30

What are the bookies odds on him scoring at anytime? I hope he doesn't but all our ex strikers generally do.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 26 Jan 2013 01:25

Scutterbucketz My favourite ever Reading player in 20 years of watching.

I just loved his back story, coming into the game late. Scored some great goals and always seemed an intelligent, well spoken, considered bloke and a fantastic striker. I was gutted when he left and really hoped his loan deal worked out because you could tell he loved this club and I would have loved him to have been here rather than ending up at Pompey.

Agreed 100%

thirtyyarder

by thirtyyarder » 26 Jan 2013 02:06

Drunken post

Huge fan of kitson, normal bloke who seemed to play football in the way that we would all play given the chance to play professionally.

In spite of not being able to remember the game or year, I will always remember a sensational back heel that put, perhaps Sidwell, clean through on goal. I believe it may have been Sunderland and Mart Poom went on to make a great save.

Suffice it to say that Kitson is an all time cool guy, who should be remembered as a great player for Reading and the classic story of the normal guy would made it good in football. If I'd had the platform he'd had, I would've said the same shit he said, but maybe more slurredly.

Ouroboros
Hob Nob Regular

by Ouroboros » 26 Jan 2013 03:03

BenReadingFC What are the bookies odds on him scoring at anytime? I hope he doesn't but all our ex strikers generally do.

You can get 100/30. Same price on Akpan btw.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 26 Jan 2013 03:16

Official Players of the Season
2002/3 - James Harper
2003/4 - Graeme Murty
2004/5 - Dave Kitson
2005/6 - Kevin Doyle
2006/7 - Ivar Ingimarsson
2007/8 - Stephen Hunt
2008/9 - Chris Armstrong
2009/10 - Gylfi Sigurdsson
2010/11 - Shane Long
2011/12 - Alex Pearce

The records shall state that Dave Kitson is in fact "Forever a Reading Legend". Scored Reading's first ever Premier League goal and was integral in us getting to the promised land in the first place. I think it is unlikely that the 2005/2006 Championship winning season will ever be topped and i am fully confident that i will be able to name that Reading squad in full in 30/40/50 years time. So many club legends in that team yet Kitson is my favourite. Would have swapped a 5-0 demolition for a 1-0 Kitson blinder any day of the week, a scoreline is just a number, Kitson blinders will be remembered forever.

Super Kevin Bremner!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Super Kevin Bremner! » 26 Jan 2013 06:13

I oxf*rd loved Kitson as a player. He was so hungry to win it was unreal. Loved seeing him sprint 40-50 yards back to make big tackles on the half way line. One of my favourite strikers we had at the club too.

Normal bloke though? *Jim Royle mode on* Normal bloke my arse!

He wore the fact that he used to be a shelf stacker at Sainsburys like a badge of honour round his neck. He thought he was the only professional footballer who understood what it was like to live in the real world, and used to bitch about his fellow pro's (maybe not Reading fellow pro's but then again I'm sure he HATED Lita) all the time. I even think he had a dig at those who got caught drink driving in their flash footballer cars - and I think there were just a few massive LOL's when he got caught doing the same.

Then he used to come out and publically whinge about the two hours of training his £20K a week necessitated him to do. Coppell, who IS a true Reading legend used to whince every time Kitson had his say in the papers, and came out and said that he needed to concentrate on his football.

Remember 'Ginger Day'? Sidwell thought this was hilarious, whereas Kitson got the right hump and went off on one about all the stick he'd got in his life for being ginger. I'm sure Sidders wasn't immune to that same stick.....

Awesome player, too full of hypocrisy to be an awesome pro though. He hated the lifestyle so much but he got paid too well for him to really care about his own principles! Massive sell-out, and whinges like a baby, but yes, one of my favourite ever RFC players.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 26 Jan 2013 06:18

His hair tended to vary in gingerishness from that day forward. :lol:

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 26 Jan 2013 08:07

I really hope he ends up in sports media, as his intelligent forthright and articulately expressed views are always interesting to hear.

Tommy Youlden's Ears

by Tommy Youlden's Ears » 26 Jan 2013 08:10

Super Kevin Bremner! I oxf*rd loved Kitson as a player. He was so hungry to win it was unreal. Loved seeing him sprint 40-50 yards back to make big tackles on the half way line. One of my favourite strikers we had at the club too.

Normal bloke though? *Jim Royle mode on* Normal bloke my arse!

He wore the fact that he used to be a shelf stacker at Sainsburys like a badge of honour round his neck. He thought he was the only professional footballer who understood what it was like to live in the real world, and used to bitch about his fellow pro's (maybe not Reading fellow pro's but then again I'm sure he HATED Lita) all the time. I even think he had a dig at those who got caught drink driving in their flash footballer cars - and I think there were just a few massive LOL's when he got caught doing the same.

Then he used to come out and publically whinge about the two hours of training his £20K a week necessitated him to do. Coppell, who IS a true Reading legend used to whince every time Kitson had his say in the papers, and came out and said that he needed to concentrate on his football.

Remember 'Ginger Day'? Sidwell thought this was hilarious, whereas Kitson got the right hump and went off on one about all the stick he'd got in his life for being ginger. I'm sure Sidders wasn't immune to that same stick.....

Awesome player, too full of hypocrisy to be an awesome pro though. He hated the lifestyle so much but he got paid too well for him to really care about his own principles! Massive sell-out, and whinges like a baby, but yes, one of my favourite ever RFC players.

I'd rather have all that than the Shearer/Owen type bland PR cut out. Kits said some stupid things, but then most say nothing at all.

Yes he should have trained better - he'd have had fewer injuries and stayed at the top for longer. But I loved him as a player, and enjoy him as a flawed but interesting bloke. Will get a big welcome from me today.