1%
Nick Hammond
1%

Total votes: 161
Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Best RFC 'keeper of all time

by Terminal Boardom » 12 Feb 2013 00:06

My favourite goalkeeper, while with Reading was Shaka but he was not the best. For me, Jim Leighton was superb. McGhee plucked him from obscurity at Old Trafford and he kick started Jim's career. Leighton went on to thank the Reading supporters for the backing he received while at Elm Park.

Deathy was class. Without doubt the bravest keeper I ever saw play for us. His lack of inches were belied by his technical and tactical abilities. He would be 2nd. 3rd would be Steve Francis and, but for his desire to take Warnock's 30 pieces of silver at Huddersfield, would have stayed at Reading even longer.

Feds? Don't make me laugh. I would have him on a par with Simon Sheppard and Gary Westwood.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 12 Feb 2013 00:34

Terminal Boardom For me, Jim Leighton was superb.

I was going to say this - i would still say Shaka first, cos i fcuking love the man, but Leighton was brilliant when he played for us

I can still hear [in my head] the call of "keeeeeee-pers baaaaaall" or "Shakaaaaaaas baaaaaaall" from Shaka, echo around Elm Park, every time a cross came in to the box 8)

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 12 Feb 2013 09:10

+1 to that TBMers. I heart Shaka Hislop.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 12 Feb 2013 09:28

Death for me, born to be a goalkeeper, the ball just stuck to him.

It is true he lacked inches and it may have been a problem against, say, Stoke at the weekend, but the bloke waas sheer class.

Aubery Boyce
Hob Nob Regular

by Aubery Boyce » 12 Feb 2013 09:31

TBM
Terminal Boardom For me, Jim Leighton was superb.

I was going to say this - i would still say Shaka first, cos i fcuking love the man, but Leighton was brilliant when he played for us

I can still hear [in my head] the call of "keeeeeee-pers baaaaaall" or "Shakaaaaaaas baaaaaaall" from Shaka, echo around Elm Park, every time a cross came in to the box 8)

AwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaY! Awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!

Jim Leighton was quality. let in a load on his debut then was almost unbeatable after that. David Lee on loan at the same time who was a cut above the rest too. (spin off thread - Best Loan players ? )

My favourite will always be Steve Francis. Played in a (generally) awful team that leaked loads of chances and he'd make several very very good saves per match to keep the scoreline respectable. these were dire times for Reading (simod cup run apart) and he kept us in games single handidly.

Shaka came along and dethroned him and the rest is history.

Shaka was immense and had 2 incredible seasons. playing in a good team helped though as we were giving away far fewer chances than when Francis played.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 12 Feb 2013 10:00

I don't have much recollection of Leighton and Death was before me - has to be Shaka.

reading_fan
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by reading_fan » 12 Feb 2013 10:09

Shaka ahead of USA for me

grey_squirrel

by grey_squirrel » 12 Feb 2013 10:14

No Squeaky?

Voted for Deathy. Better than the rest by a country mile.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 12 Feb 2013 10:16

Steve Death

but that's probably because of my age. Always felt safe with him in goal. Well, at home anyway.

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 12 Feb 2013 10:20

Can't choose between Shaka and Deathy - and Jim Leighton probably third.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 12 Feb 2013 11:06

Aubery Boyce Shaka was immense and had 2 incredible seasons. playing in a good team helped though as we were giving away far fewer chances than when Francis played.

It's sometimes more difficult for a keeper to excel in a good side because they don't get as much of the ball and certainly have less chances to make good saves.

Leighton was excellent, as was Tommy Wright, but he only played a handful of games so I don't think he enters the equation. Having not seen Death my top 2 would be Shaka then Hahnemann. Federici, on last years form, would be 3rd. On the form over his Reading career I'd put him behind Francis and possibly even Whitehead who was, in his first couple of season at least, pretty good and a massive improvement on Howie, Van der Kwaak, Mautone, Shepperd etc.

The thing to remember with Shaka, was that he was still only in his early 20's when he was outstanding for us and had hardly played any decent football before that. Compare that to when Federici played as a 'raw youngster' having been at the club for 3 or 4 years and looked half the keeper and it puts things into perspective a bit. Also it's arguable (having just read this on Wiki!) that Shaka getting injured was a major factor in Newcastle throwing away that massive lead under Keegan.

Biscuit_Boy

by Biscuit_Boy » 12 Feb 2013 11:29

Not our best keeper, but one of the more eccentric surely, 'Daft' Rab Bernard, Reading's goalie for for 1912-13, was celebrating a goal in the centre-circle as the opposition scored from the kick-off!

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 12 Feb 2013 11:33

Terminal Boardom
Feds? Don't make me laugh. I would have him on a par with Simon Sheppard and Gary Westwood.

Sorry, but that is just plain silly. :roll:

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 12 Feb 2013 12:50

southbank1871 +1 to that TBMers. I heart Shaka Hislop.

+2. One of my favourite human beings ever.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 12 Feb 2013 12:55

Of those listed above.

Shaka
Death
Hahnemann
Federici

Broxroyal

by Broxroyal » 12 Feb 2013 13:02

Steve Death
Shaka
Marcus Hahnemann

Deathy had a long loan spell for us before signing permanently. That loan spell was amazing, - the best goalkeeping I have seen. He was pretty damned good after he signed permanently.

teignmouth hoops

by teignmouth hoops » 12 Feb 2013 13:03

Deathy 1st, Shaka 2nd, but for personality Shaka all the time, remember going to Brighton and getting a result there and Shaka shaking practically every royals supporters hand at the end of the game, and then Reading playing at Basingstoke in a pre-season friendly just before he left and him being great with all the fans, truely genuine guy

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 12 Feb 2013 13:29

LoyalRoyalFan I think we all know who sandman voted for.

Then you don't know Jack (but then we've all known that for a while). I voted for Shaka who just happens to be my all time favourite Reading player.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 12 Feb 2013 13:45

teignmouth hoops Deathy 1st, Shaka 2nd, but for personality Shaka all the time, remember going to Brighton and getting a result there and Shaka shaking practically every royals supporters hand at the end of the game, and then Reading playing at Basingstoke in a pre-season friendly just before he left and him being great with all the fans, truely genuine guy

When I was a kid there was a rumour that he was going to Forest and as he was my favourite player I was upset. So my Dad wrote to the club and I got a handwritten letter back (which I still have) from Shaka. Like you say he was a genuine guy and a really good Keeper.

Stooper
Hob Nob Regular

by Stooper » 12 Feb 2013 14:10

Nick Colgan