Team for Wigan

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Team for Wigan

by loyalroyal4life » 21 Feb 2013 09:36

sandman :|

Leigertwood's just finding some form and you want to drop him?

He has had all season to find form, dont think you can class a couple of ok games as finding form. Most people class finding form as playing better than his diabolical performances previously.

Jem>>Ledge

Basingstoke Royal

by Basingstoke Royal » 21 Feb 2013 09:47

Federici

Kelly Pearce Mariappa Harte

Ledge Akpan

Kebe Blackman Mcanuff

Pog

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 21 Feb 2013 10:25

loyalroyal4life

He has had all season to find form, dont think you can class a couple of ok games as finding form. Most people class finding form as playing better than his diabolical performances previously.

Jem>>Ledge

:| @ that whole post

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 21 Feb 2013 10:51

Basingstoke Royal Federici

Kelly Pearce Mariappa Harte

Ledge Akpan

Kebe Blackman Mcanuff

Pog

No thanks to Blackman, he needs time that we don't have. Guthrie or HRK over him for my money.

Colin Cheeselog

by Colin Cheeselog » 21 Feb 2013 12:06

Personally i'd like to see Hunt play ahead of Pog. I know Pog ‘does a job’ for the team, and undoubtedly since he came back in and we changed formation we have been better. BUT, i personally think Pog doesn’t actually play the ‘big man’ role very well. He doesn’t win many headers, his control isn’t great, he doesn’t appear to give defenders a particularly hard time, and he hasn’t really looked like scoring in a quite a few games.

I think Hunt is better in the air, can hold the ball up better, is quicker, closes down defenders and defends from the front better, and his movement and agility means he’s looks more likely to score.

Bring on the inevitable abuse...

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 21 Feb 2013 12:12

I think that's a fair summation. I personally don't feel he would do it as well as Pog, but I can see what strengths he would have that Pog doesn't, it's just for me Pog is better at bringing others into the game and the few chances he does get (I can't remember the last time he had a good one in the 4-5-1...) he is clinical. Hunt can be somewhat anonymous. But we won't know for sure unless we ever see it.

I'd rather try Hunt at it than Roberts, but we're getting results so I'd stick to what we have.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 21 Feb 2013 12:26

Colin Cheeselog Personally i'd like to see Hunt play ahead of Pog. I know Pog ‘does a job’ for the team, and undoubtedly since he came back in and we changed formation we have been better. BUT, i personally think Pog doesn’t actually play the ‘big man’ role very well. He doesn’t win many headers, his control isn’t great, he doesn’t appear to give defenders a particularly hard time, and he hasn’t really looked like scoring in a quite a few games.

I think Hunt is better in the air, can hold the ball up better, is quicker, closes down defenders and defends from the front better, and his movement and agility means he’s looks more likely to score.

No abuse, just total incredulity.

:shock:

Colin Cheeselog

by Colin Cheeselog » 21 Feb 2013 12:29

winchester_royal
Colin Cheeselog Personally i'd like to see Hunt play ahead of Pog. I know Pog ‘does a job’ for the team, and undoubtedly since he came back in and we changed formation we have been better. BUT, i personally think Pog doesn’t actually play the ‘big man’ role very well. He doesn’t win many headers, his control isn’t great, he doesn’t appear to give defenders a particularly hard time, and he hasn’t really looked like scoring in a quite a few games.

What specifically do you find so unbelievable?

RockheadRumple

by RockheadRumple » 21 Feb 2013 12:37

Same team as the one against Sunderland, I reckon, since that was pretty much our best performance of the season.

-------------Federici------------

Kelly - Pearce - Mariappa - Harte

----------Leigertwood-----------

Kebe - Akpan - McAnuff - McLeary

-----------Pogrebnyak-----------

I'm slightly worried, however, that McD might go 442 after a decent display vs Manchester United...

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 21 Feb 2013 12:55

No abuse from me. He's very under-rated. Great team man IMO.

I remember a Prem side's defence (Everton?) saying the Hunt-Long wore them out.

I thought Hunt's work-rate was one of the main reasons our 442 was decent at Man U

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 21 Feb 2013 12:59

Federici
Kelly Mariappa Pearce Shorey
Kebe Akpan Leigertwood Guthrie McCleary
Pog

Taylor, Harte, Morrison, Karacan, Robson-Kanu, Alf, Hunt.

tlcs

by tlcs » 21 Feb 2013 13:10

[quote="RockheadRumple"]Same team as the one against Sunderland, I reckon, since that was pretty much our best performance of the season.

Kebe - Akpan - McAnuff - McLeary

Yes please]

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 21 Feb 2013 13:32

loyalroyal4life

Jem>>Ledge

So you agree with me then?

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 21 Feb 2013 13:50

Colin Cheeselog
winchester_royal

What specifically do you find so unbelievable?

That you believe Noel Hunt to be more of a goal threat than Pog. The same Noel Hunt with 2 goals from 17 appearances this season, and 8 goals from 41 appearances in the Championship last season. That you believe Noel Hunt would be able to hold the ball up better than Pog despite that fact that our big fcuking Russian has been an absolute titan in that respect over the past few games and Hunt has the touch of a rapist. That you believe Noel's style of movement which is 'stay offside and hope the lino doesn't notice' would be at all useful when playing 4-5-1.. etc.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 21 Feb 2013 13:52

tlcs
RockheadRumple Same team as the one against Sunderland, I reckon, since that was pretty much our best performance of the season.

Kebe - Akpan - McAnuff - McCleary

Yes please

ALMOST a +1 for me.

I thought HRK actually looked interested against Man United when he came on. I'd like to see him given the starting slot on the left (too early for Blackman to me, sorry) so that we can have a fresh McCleary to come on in the 70th at the same time as ALF.

I'd start Akpan too, although after his impressive cameos at the beginning I'm missing having him from the bench a bit so I wouldn't be gutted if Guthrie started alongside McAnuff in the centre, although it would be very harsh on Hope to drop him.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 21 Feb 2013 14:17

Hunt is actually fractionally better on minutes per goal

1,543 Minutes for 5 Premiership Goals at 308 minutes per goal POG
0,610 Minutes for 2 Premiership Goals at 305 minutes per goal HUNT

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 21 Feb 2013 14:27

Noel Hunt, scores goals and makes goals.

For example, his partnership with Shane Long.

Last 3 Seasons

0,610 Minutes for 02 Goals at 305 minutes per goal Plus 1 Assists 2012-13 Premiership
2,925 Minutes for 08 Goals at 305 minutes per goal Plus 9 assists 2011-12 Championship
1,815 Minutes for 10 Goals at 182 minutes per goal Plus 4 assists 1010-11 Championship

5,350 Minutes for 20 Goals at 262 minutes per goal Plus 14 assists

That's a goal or assist every 157 minutes

Colin Cheeselog

by Colin Cheeselog » 21 Feb 2013 16:33

winchester_royal That you believe Noel Hunt to be more of a goal threat than Pog. The same Noel Hunt with 2 goals from 17 appearances this season, and 8 goals from 41 appearances in the Championship last season. That you believe Noel Hunt would be able to hold the ball up better than Pog despite that fact that our big fcuking Russian has been an absolute titan in that respect over the past few games and Hunt has the touch of a rapist. That you believe Noel's style of movement which is 'stay offside and hope the lino doesn't notice' would be at all useful when playing 4-5-1.. etc.

The thing is though, he really isn't that big, commanding or intimidating, not compared to most centre backs. You may think he's been "a titan", but personally I think he's pretty poor in the air. He's very good at backing into defenders then falling over, or throwing his hands in the air and looking at the ref, but he really doesn't win that many headers. I believe Hunt is better in the air than Pog.

I'm not saying Hunt is an outstanding candidate to play upfront in a 4-51, I think he's a relatively poor option, but I do think he's a better option than Pog.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 21 Feb 2013 17:02

sandman
loyalroyal4life

Jem>>Ledge

So you agree with me then?

Yes i would like to see him dropped, long overdue IMO

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 21 Feb 2013 18:09

Colin Cheeselog
winchester_royal That you believe Noel Hunt to be more of a goal threat than Pog. The same Noel Hunt with 2 goals from 17 appearances this season, and 8 goals from 41 appearances in the Championship last season. That you believe Noel Hunt would be able to hold the ball up better than Pog despite that fact that our big fcuking Russian has been an absolute titan in that respect over the past few games and Hunt has the touch of a rapist. That you believe Noel's style of movement which is 'stay offside and hope the lino doesn't notice' would be at all useful when playing 4-5-1.. etc.

The thing is though, he really isn't that big, commanding or intimidating, not compared to most centre backs. You may think he's been "a titan", but personally I think he's pretty poor in the air. He's very good at backing into defenders then falling over, or throwing his hands in the air and looking at the ref, but he really doesn't win that many headers. I believe Hunt is better in the air than Pog.

I'm not saying Hunt is an outstanding candidate to play upfront in a 4-51, I think he's a relatively poor option, but I do think he's a better option than Pog.

I didn't say Pog was particularly good in the air, but there isn't any point in being good in the air when you have nobody around to flick the ball on to. Pog is excellent at holding the ball up for a few seconds while midfielders try and join him or winning a free-kick. Personally I can't see Noel doing that effectively. Yes, Noel is the best we have in the air, but on the ground he is an exceptionally limited footballer.