Thank you Brian!

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Thank you Brian!

by Maguire » 11 Mar 2013 18:26

melonhead equal best manager weve ever had.

stabbed in the back by part of his own crowd

for shame.

Et tu, Y24?

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 11 Mar 2013 18:28

Thank you for all of the great memories Brian. The FA cup runs, the saving us from the drop, the play-off final and the legendary run last season to get us promoted. You deserved to be treated with more class than this. This is the thanks you get for showing loyalty to the club you had spent many years with and in many roles when Wolves came a calling last season. This is the thanks showed by the club you stuck with and got promoted when you could have benefitted personally.

Best of luck to you, in whatever you do...if you return to managing and we meet again and your new team jams it up our arse I won't be anything but happy for you.

Colin Cheeselog

by Colin Cheeselog » 11 Mar 2013 18:30

Gutted. Reading legend. Treated disgracefully by ignorant, plastic 'fans' who won't be here next season anyway.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 11 Mar 2013 18:33

Maguire
melonhead equal best manager weve ever had.

stabbed in the back by part of his own crowd

for shame.

Et tu, Y24?

:lol:

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 11 Mar 2013 18:33

Ditto the stuff about doing superbly for the last three years. I'll miss you x

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 11 Mar 2013 18:40

I hope Zingaravich can hold his head high after this fiasco. Gutted for the big man. Thanks for those incredible high points in the last few years Brian. He should have been given to the end of the season as a minimum but money talks and return on investment :!: is what drives football. Sadly a ruthless business steak has shown itself.

Thanks for those great memories Brian, i love you for that and hope you can put yourself on the map with another club.

Reading4eva
Hob Nob Regular

by Reading4eva » 11 Mar 2013 18:47

Thank You Brian... very disappointed with the club you have been sacked and was not offered an alternative role. Give it a couple of years you will be a Premier League Manager again.

Remember the good times, and forget this season (bar Everton, West Brom, West Ham & Sunderland at home, and stuffing Parjudas away). You led us to promotion and noone can take that away. Maybe a couple of seasons too early, but you WILL be back here one day.

RoyalinBracknell

by RoyalinBracknell » 11 Mar 2013 18:49

My favourite ever Reading manager.

Built 3 highly successful Championship teams (and for all who say he can only play hoofball I thought his first 6 months or so was very entertaining with Gylfi and Bertrand still in the side - it certainly restored my interest after a woeful 2009), coped with key players going and limited funds, kept on taking us far beyond most supporters' expectations, and then when he got decent funds built a Championship winning side within a few months.

I loved his belief that we could win any game, that we could go to Anfield and Goodison in the cup and actually compete, really compete - and not just compete but win. Certainly at the start his substitutions always seemed to turn a game, adding that attacking spark as we went for it and more often than not won it. He had a belief and a calmness about him, and that made me believe in him. I felt included in what he was doing - how often did he refer to the importance of the fans, his connection with the supporters. (That it is probably the supporters' reaction on Saturday that hammered the final nail in his coffin is somewhat upsetting. I suspect it was just an emotive reaction to a painful defeat. I wonder how many supporters would elect not to boo if they were able to turn back time, aware of what would happen 48 or so hours later.)

I'll never forget watching that night we went to face Liverpool, face a Liverpool side containing Gerrard and Torres, and that unexpected thrill of delight as we came from behind to claim an amazing victory. Equally too that brilliant 3-2 win against West Brom in the cup when McDermott held firm with fans and pundits alike baying for a substitution. His decision to stay with what we had proved right - 2-2 in injury time, 3-2 in extra time. And so that set up an FA Cup quarter final appearance for the first time in who knows how long, something McDermott took us to once more a mere 12 months later. They were painful defeats but against Premier League opposition we gave it one hell of a go. I'll equally remember other moments from those first few months as McDermott comfortably took us away from an apparent relegation dogfight - a last minute winner v Leicester, 3-0 v Coventry, 6-0 v Peterbrough. The following season we lost Siggurddssson but still carried on going in the right direction. I remember beating Barnsley 3-0 with only 10 men; Robson-Kanu's introduction making all the difference. Then there was the case of Chris Armstrong, a tough situation that I felt McDermott handled with great class and respect; he must surely have played a key role in ensuring that the news didn't reach the media for a good 15 months or so. We won 8 in a row at the end of this season (not for the first time in McDermott's era), with some thrilling moments along the way as we ultimately arrived at the play-off final - in particular 4-3 v Forest and 3-0 v Cardiff in the play-off semi. Then last year the departures continued but so too did the comebacks; 3-2 v Bristol City, 3-2 v Ipswich. There were other highlights too - most notably the 3-0 home triumph against West Ham - and then, with TSI on board, things really got going. With more money to spend, McDermott led the team to an incredible 46 points out of a possible 41. I'll never forget attending the away win against West Ham when McDermott's belief in the importance of staying in a match was clearly seen, or how about watching the crucial triumph away to Southampton when the decision to replace Jay Tabb with Adam Le Fondre at 1-1 raised eyebrows but proved a masterstroke, or that night, just 4 evenings later, when Reading got promoted to the Premier League for only the second time in their history. How we all loved him then.

In his time here, I think McDermott has handled a range of situations with great dignity, and I find his overall progress and perspective inspiring. I think few other managers would have enjoyed the success he has done with that group of players over a long-term period. He's given a new lease of life to some players who had before been written off, has rebuilt a number of sides, has imposed (or reimposed) the ethics of hard work, spirit and a one-match focus on the team, and has generally shown a great deal of character, decency and pride in how he has represented this club. Listening to him speak at times, he really seems to have a firm grasp of the club's heritage.

I think McDermott has made mistakes this season, and I certainly feel he could have done a better job at times. Yet he's a fast learner and had we kept with him I think in the long run he'd have made a success of it once more. McDermott's mistake was showing too much loyalty to some of the players that helped us get to the premier league; who knows, our mistake might be not showing enough loyalty to the manager that helped us get to the premier league.

East End Lady

by East End Lady » 11 Mar 2013 18:52

I'm gutted. I never wanted him to go. I wish him all the best for the future. Thank you so much for everything you have one for the club over the last 11 years

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 11 Mar 2013 19:10

Big thank you to you and yours Brian, you were never going to get what you deserved and I for one have never felt less connected to my football club than I do today! All the best for the future, you are a man of honour and integrity, bon chance!

Born 'n Bred Royal

by Born 'n Bred Royal » 11 Mar 2013 19:13

Gutted too. I will never forget last season.

The run of wins towards the end before we won the league was utterly incredible.

Thanks Brian!

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 11 Mar 2013 19:15

'Greed. Great man, and hopefully there'll be a fitting tribute on Saturday.

Love you Brian, good luck for the future.

royal67

by royal67 » 11 Mar 2013 19:19

Brian, many thanks for all of the pride and determination that you brought to your role. I can't help but feel that you've been left out to dry somewhat. Hope you're back at the Madejski with another club soon but hope the Royals get the result........

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 11 Mar 2013 19:20

FAO BRIAN - if you're reading this and you fancy going out and getting completely shitfaced in Reading this week then let me know and they are on me.

Fancy the Fox and Hounds for the United game seeing as you won't be there?

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 11 Mar 2013 19:23

This time last year we were outside the playoffs...

Thanks Brian.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 11 Mar 2013 19:23

i liked Brian a hell of a lot, but i think he is another Coppell, has a shelf life and the nice approach and simple ideas on the game go stale.

I wouldn't have sacked him now though.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 11 Mar 2013 19:27

Colin Cheeselog Gutted. Reading legend. Treated disgracefully by ignorant, plastic 'fans' who won't be here next season anyway.

This is not true. Anyone who claims that the vast majority of the fans did not openly question McDermott's substitutions against Villa, is quite frankly, either a liar or ignorant themselves.
It is the fans who cannot accept change that will not be here next season. Similarly to Rodgers it was clear that a management change was justified and necessary. I was there and part of the fans that publicly criticised Rodgers as I was there and part of those who criticised McDermott. I can tell you that those I sit near are virtually the same people that were then when Rodgers was in charge and and I am certain that they will virtually all still be there next season.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 11 Mar 2013 19:28

Having said this I am grateful for what Brian did achieve at the club. The positives far outweighed the negatives.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 11 Mar 2013 19:30

Thanks for getting us so far Brian, but unfortunately you were out of your depth in the Premiership. Sad to see it happen as he seems a genuine really nice bloke, but this should have happened in December.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 11 Mar 2013 19:32

Royalee Thanks for getting us so far Brian, but unfortunately you were out of your depth in the Premiership. Sad to see it happen as he seems a genuine really nice bloke, but this should have happened in December.

^^ yup