Lack of Leadership

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Lack of Leadership

by P!ssed Off » 07 Apr 2013 18:51

Royal Lady Previous captains have always been very vocal on the pitch - should have made Pearce captain imo. I think maybe Morrison or someone would be good as captain - need someone at the back who can see what's going on up front and shout orders/encouragement/bollockings as a result.

Exactly, the people that claim that captains are an irrelevance on the pitch are doing a massive disservice to the likes of Parkinson, Williams and Murty.
Anyone who's been following Reading for more than 5 years knows full well what a good captain is, hence why people are skeptical of McAnuff as captain.

Haag Royal

by Haag Royal » 07 Apr 2013 19:00

Mcanuff may be the perfect role model off the pitch but his head is the first to go down when things go wrong on he pitch and that is all that I see.

Can only go on what we see....and if he was not captain under BmD I wonder how many games he would have started on merit?

Although I have to say, maybe he was the only choice. I mean, no one else is guaranteed a place in the team are they?

Pearce? Nope - you don't make a guy Captain who is running his contract down.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 07 Apr 2013 19:02

I'm sure he's great with the players in the dressing room and away from the pitch - who is our vice captain now - it was Pearce for a while? Historically, we've had centre backs (aside from Murts) - Hicks/Parky/Williams and I think we need to go down this route again.

Jay o/

by Jay o/ » 07 Apr 2013 19:15

There's no doubt that McAnuff makes a poor captain, but a good team requires many captains, and when you look at the shower we put out every week, how many vocal captains can you see? Pearce talks to his colleagues plenty, Mariappa does.. and then it pretty much stops. There are no leaders out there, and that is a big problem for us.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Apr 2013 19:20

Royal Lady Previous captains have always been very vocal on the pitch - should have made Pearce captain imo. I think maybe Morrison or someone would be good as captain - need someone at the back who can see what's going on up front and shout orders/encouragement/bollockings as a result.

Once again, you can be vocal on the pitch without shouting and gesticulating in an obvious fashion.

I think we can be certain about one thing, and that's that McDermott and Adkins are infinitely better qualified and infinitely better placed to know who is and isn't a good choice for captain.

This is such an easy thing for people to complain about based on absolutely nothing except for their own pig ignorant prejudices against a player.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 07 Apr 2013 19:30

I'm not complaining, I'm discussing - you should try it some time if you can manage to get your little legs off your high horse. :roll:

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 07 Apr 2013 19:34

Jay o/ There's no doubt that McAnuff makes a poor captain, but a good team requires many captains, and when you look at the shower we put out every week, how many vocal captains can you see? Pearce talks to his colleagues plenty, Mariappa does.. and then it pretty much stops. There are no leaders out there, and that is a big problem for us.

Why does McAnuff make a poor captain?

Our current and previous manager had him as their captain.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 07 Apr 2013 19:39

I'll be surprised if he's still captain next season - I doubt Adkins would change things this late in the season, but a new manager would want to impose his own imprint on the team and that includes choice of captain I reckon.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 07 Apr 2013 19:40

Ian Royal

Once again, you can be vocal on the pitch without shouting and gesticulating in an obvious fashion.

I think we can be certain about one thing, and that's that McDermott and Adkins are infinitely better qualified and infinitely better placed to know who is and isn't a good choice for captain.

This is such an easy thing for people to complain about based on absolutely nothing except for their own pig ignorant prejudices against a player.

So if Adkins selects SImon Church as our next captain you'd be fine with that?
Everything I've seen on the pitch this season suggests that McAnuff is not a suitable captain, nothing to do with pig ignorant prejudice.
What if I say I think McAnuff is good winger but a shit captain, which part of this is prejudice.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Apr 2013 19:48

P!ssed Off
Ian Royal

Everything I've seen on the pitch this season suggests that McAnuff is not a suitable captain, nothing to do with pig ignorant prejudice.
What if I say I think McAnuff is good winger but a shit captain, which part of this is prejudice.

Extrapolating to the point of ridiculousness does not help your argument. People have been talking the same old shit about Jobi as captain based on nothing since he was made captain. He did a good job last year, he's doing an ok job this year under very difficult circumstances. If he wasn't, he wouldn't have survived as captain for two seasons.

The McAnuff I watch does talk to the players. He does lead by example. He tracks back and does his defensive work, he always keeps plugging away even when it's not going right for him. His head does go down when he's not having much joy against the full back and now when we conceed again, but it doesn't stop him talking to the players or keeping on trying.

Captain is the thing where the fans have the least clue about the job and the attributes of the players to be suited to it.

royal_ross

by royal_ross » 07 Apr 2013 19:59

Ian Royal
The McAnuff I watch does talk to the players. He does lead by example. He tracks back and does his defensive work, he always keeps plugging away even when it's not going right for him. His head does go down when he's not having much joy against the full back and now when we conceed again, but it doesn't stop him talking to the players or keeping on trying.

Captain is the thing where the fans have the least clue about the job and the attributes of the players to be suited to it.

Agree. McAnuff has got some really unfair stick this season when he trys his best and has the most assists. Best piece of defending by him yesterday was when he tracked back and made a crucial interception after Kelly had left him with 2 players to mark.

Anybody who thinks he's not a good captain should look back to the Forest game last season, kept encouraging the players to keep going when they looked incredibly nervous.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 07 Apr 2013 20:00

Ian Royal [quote="P!ssed Off"

Extrapolating to the point of ridiculousness does not help your argument. People have been talking the same old shit about Jobi as captain based on nothing since he was made captain. He did a good job last year, he's doing an ok job this year under very difficult circumstances. If he wasn't, he wouldn't have survived as captain for two seasons.

Captain is the thing where the fans have the least clue about the job and the attributes of the players to be suited to it.[/quote]

He's probably done his best but he's not a natural born-leader, leadership being the topic of the thread. If, as you say, he's the best candidate within the squad for captaincy then I think we need to get a few influential players in over the summer.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 07 Apr 2013 20:02

royal_ross
Ian Royal

Agree. McAnuff has got some really unfair stick this season when he trys his best and has the most assists. Best piece of defending by him yesterday was when he tracked back and made a crucial interception after Kelly had left him with 2 players to mark.

Anybody who thinks he's not a good captain should look back to the Forest game last season, kept encouraging the players to keep going when they looked incredibly nervous.

The stick of McAnuff for his overall play has been harsh I agree. But are his assist stats relevant to his role as captain and the debate of his leadership credentials.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Apr 2013 20:04

P!ssed Off He's probably done his best but he's not a natural born-leader, leadership being the topic of the thread. If, as you say, he's the best candidate within the squad for captaincy then I think we need to get a few influential players in over the summer.

Can you let me know how it is you've managed to get passes to watch the squad at the training ground, view team meetings and pre, post and during match talks please?

Obviously you must have been present for all those things, otherwise you've really got no way of judging McAnuff's leadership qualities.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 07 Apr 2013 20:09

Ian Royal
P!ssed Off He's probably done his best but he's not a natural born-leader, leadership being the topic of the thread. If, as you say, he's the best candidate within the squad for captaincy then I think we need to get a few influential players in over the summer.

Can you let me know how it is you've managed to get passes to watch the squad at the training ground, view team meetings and pre, post and during match talks please?

Obviously you must have been present for all those things, otherwise you've really got no way of judging McAnuff's leadership qualities.

As I said before I judge him the only way I can, from what I see on the pitch. The fact that I cannot I can't see what occurs in team talks and the like does not necessarily make either one of us right or wrong.
Similarly, I did not see Ady Williams in training or in team talks, but it is still my right to say that 'on the pitch' he was a good leader.

It may not be possible to judge him completely but it is definitely possible to judge him partially.
Last edited by P!ssed Off on 07 Apr 2013 20:12, edited 1 time in total.

Esteban

by Esteban » 07 Apr 2013 20:11

Disagree that you have to be loud to make a good captain. Given the obvious deficiencies and the seadon we've had, I think McAnuff has been a fine ambassador for the club.

You don't have to wear the armband to be a leader on the pitch.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 07 Apr 2013 20:12

I really hope Adkins keeps McAnuff as captain next season, which wouldn't surprise me in the least, although lets face it it wouldn't stop the same old bleating from going on.

Cureton's Volley
Hob Nob Regular

by Cureton's Volley » 07 Apr 2013 22:18

M-U-R-T-Y

Oh Adie, Adie

Or 5 Parkinsons

Legendary chants for legendary captains

Now Jobi is OK, bless him, he tries his guts out for the team, but he is no legend, and certainly not a strong leader on the pitch. Sorry but TRUE.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 08 Apr 2013 09:26

Ian Royal

Well, in the same vein then, neither have you!!

M Brook
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by M Brook » 08 Apr 2013 09:50

royal_ross
Ian Royal

Sadly, it says it all when you have to go back 12 months to find an example of when he had a good captaining game.