SJM - Minutes silence vs Liverpool

335 posts
Divvy

Re: SJM - Minutes silence vs Liverpool

by Divvy » 09 Apr 2013 21:13

Ideal
Divvy YNWA

Most pathetic song in football these days.

You're such an idiot! :roll:

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 09 Apr 2013 21:21

Wipped
friday fan is that a minutes silence for thatcher? stupid move, leave politics out of football and especially the Liverpool game a city she almost destroyed

Yeah that's what they're saying but is there a source? The fa have said no to the minutes silences, so he can't have one anyway!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they just said it wouldn't be compulsory, like it is for Remembrance. I don't think they can stop a club holding a minutes silence.

friday fan

by friday fan » 09 Apr 2013 21:25

Ideal
friday fan Thatcher..tried t destroy liverpool

Shame she didn't succeed!

Ideal, my grandad was a scouser and he took me to my first game at Elm Park and I find your comment crude and unwelcome, it takes different people to support teams and no matter where they come from they have that pride. football rivalry is good but out and out bias and crudeness makes a person a non event - go figure!

Rax

by Rax » 09 Apr 2013 21:36

I'm just wondering how the Scouse collective would react if Reading fans booed, chanted or clapped in the middle of a minutes silence for Hillsborough???

Love her or hate her someone has died - and if SJM feels so strongly that he feels a minutes silence is in order, then it should be respected, regardless of viewpoint.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 Apr 2013 21:42

Rax I'm just wondering how the Scouse collective would react if Reading fans booed, chanted or clapped in the middle of a minutes silence for Hillsborough???

Love her or hate her someone has died - and if SJM feels so strongly that he feels a minutes silence is in order, then it should be respected, regardless of viewpoint.

Like hell it should. Hillsborough was about football fans. Thatcher was a politician who did a lot of damage to a lot of people's lives, despite the good that she did for others. She was also pretty anti-football, being in charge when the Hillsborough cover-up was allowed to happen, the barring of standing at football, I presume that prohibition of drinking in sight of the pitch and I believe the wanted to bring in ID cards for football fans.

A minutes silence is wholely inappropriate and actually insulting when you factor in we're playing one of the sides that comes from somewhere that got dicked on heavily by her. I doubt a minutes silence would be observed by all our fans let alone Liverpool's. It's asking to sour the atmosphere and cause trouble. You may as well just have SJM walk on the pitch and do a shit on a replica of a Liverpool scarf drapped Liver building.

Tamworth_Royal
Location: She's got a tongue like an electric eel and she likes the taste of a man's tonsils.

by Tamworth_Royal » 09 Apr 2013 21:44

There you go confirmation Madejski is a twat.

Thatcher was in charge at the time of the hillsborough cover up and he thinks Liverpool fans are going to stand silent :roll:

What an arsehole

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU4ke34dKWo

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 09 Apr 2013 21:51

Rax I'm just wondering how the Scouse collective would react if Reading fans booed, chanted or clapped in the middle of a minutes silence for Hillsborough???

Because the two things are totally unrelated.

The ritual of a minutes silence should be used very sparingly:

England managers
England captains
Significant club figures and events.

And that's it.

parky
Hob Nob Regular

by parky » 09 Apr 2013 21:52

Jerry St Clair

Because the two things are totally unrelated.

The ritual of a minutes silence should be used very sparingly:

England managers
England captains
Significant club figures and events.

And that's it.

I would extend that to significant footballing figures. I don't think anyone argued with the silences for George Best or Alan Ball.

Rax

by Rax » 09 Apr 2013 21:53

Ian Royal

Like hell it should. Hillsborough was about football fans. Thatcher was a politician who did a lot of damage to a lot of people's lives, despite the good that she did for others. She was also pretty anti-football, being in charge when the Hillsborough cover-up was allowed to happen, the barring of standing at football, I presume that prohibition of drinking in sight of the pitch and I believe the wanted to bring in ID cards for football fans.

A minutes silence is wholely inappropriate and actually insulting when you factor in we're playing one of the sides that comes from somewhere that got dicked on heavily by her. I doubt a minutes silence would be observed by all our fans let alone Liverpool's. It's asking to sour the atmosphere and cause trouble. You may as well just have SJM walk on the pitch and do a shit on a replica of a Liverpool scarf drapped Liver building.

SJM is allowed an opinion, rightly or wrongly! Personally, I think it's wrong but you have to show some respect, surely!! Or is that far too adult for some people? :roll:

parky
Hob Nob Regular

by parky » 09 Apr 2013 21:55

I shouldn't be dictated what I respect by SJM. If he wants to pay his respects do it at her funeral not at a football stadium.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 09 Apr 2013 21:57

I agree politics should stay out of football, no question.

Would be an amusing way to troll those sour pcunts from the NW though.

cpmurph

by cpmurph » 09 Apr 2013 21:59

If he is seriously suggesting it then he is completely out of touch and frankly mental...

Ridiculous suggestion

Para Handy

by Para Handy » 09 Apr 2013 22:01

:lol: So, the OP hasn't seen a quote anywhere but "it's all over twitter"

Nothing on any of the club's official channels to suggest this is even remotely true.

I'd be massively surprised if it was.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 09 Apr 2013 22:01

Does John Madejski even have a say nowadays?

AZ should overrule his decision.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 09 Apr 2013 22:02

parky I would extend that to significant footballing figures. I don't think anyone argued with the silences for George Best or Alan Ball.

OK, world cup winners as well.

I actually would argue with the George Best silence. If you start using subjective criteria to have silences for "great" players where do you draw the line? Puskas, di Stefano, Maradona?

And, I think there were plenty of dissenters on this board at the time.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 09 Apr 2013 22:02

Para Handy :lol: So, the OP hasn't seen a quote anywhere but "it's all over twitter"

Nothing on any of the club's official channels to suggest this is even remotely true.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22078110

parky
Hob Nob Regular

by parky » 09 Apr 2013 22:04

Para Handy :lol: So, the OP hasn't seen a quote anywhere but "it's all over twitter"

BBC Sport Premier League club chairmen Dave Whelan and Sir John Madejski want football to mark the death of Baroness Thatcher with a one-minute silence.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22078110

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 Apr 2013 22:06

Rax
Ian Royal

SJM is allowed an opinion, rightly or wrongly! Personally, I think it's wrong but you have to show some respect, surely!! Or is that far too adult for some people? :roll:

If he wants to observe a minutes silence he can do it at her funeral. His personal feelings about her have absoluetly nothing to do with it and given it is utterly inappropriate for their to be a minutes silence at a football match for her I absolutely wouldn't observe it.

And whilst I can't stand her values or her, I have deliberately restrained myself from hurling abuse in her general direction or celebrating her death, because I find that rather tasteless given for all her faults she thought she was doing what was best and was still human, and not guilty of any actual major crimes. So that comes from someone fairly restrained.

parky
Hob Nob Regular

by parky » 09 Apr 2013 22:07

Jerry St Clair
parky I would extend that to significant footballing figures. I don't think anyone argued with the silences for George Best or Alan Ball.

OK, world cup winners as well.

I actually would argue with the George Best silence. If you start using subjective criteria to have silences for "great" players where do you draw the line? Puskas, di Stefano, Maradona?

And, I think there were plenty of dissenters on this board at the time.

Actually thinking about it, I think you're right about Best wasn't he the reason this minutes applause crap started?

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 09 Apr 2013 22:08

Before Saturday's game with Liverpool, fans of both clubs will hold a minute's silence for 24th anniversary of Hillsborough disaster @LFC

335 posts