End of season

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

Re: End of season

by AthleticoSpizz » 19 May 2013 19:42

(urzzzz)....maybe because we had to give our heroes from the previous season, realistic incentives, ie. a team place in the prem?

Yes, we all know the "end game" in the Prem, but.....why would players want to get promoted to it and subsequently lose their jobs?

Its a fine line to getting it right

URZZZZZ

by URZZZZZ » 19 May 2013 19:45

(AthleticoSpizz) thats why im glad we got a new manager with no loyalties to players, can come in and do his own thing not stick with the past

worst thing we could have done is give the job to dolan, would have been brian all over again

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 19 May 2013 19:49

Of course, you are right, but will NA do it differently (if promoted) next year?

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 19 May 2013 20:05

Nigel Adkins is the big positive, also looking forward to the next few days when he announces who is going, FTW I think it will be a pretty long list with upto 12 or more being shown the door and next season we start with a new-ish line up of ball players rather than hoofers, sad to see some go, Harte was fantastic for us, and if he goes as expected, Hunt has been so infectious with his energy and work rate, as for Pearce time will tell if he is good as he thinks he is, might get a surprise there I think,but time moves on.

Lets do our business early, get a settled squad and attack that bloody Championship next season !!

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 19 May 2013 20:09

URZZZZZ So the season has finished with a 4-2 defeat and relegation, obviously not what people expected at the start of the season, but if we are all honest, only a handfull expected more.

Am I the only one struggling with this apparent paradox? :?
Apparently 'people' did not expect us to be relegated at the start of the season? Whilst at the same time "only a handful expected more" i.e. to not get relegated?
So did 'the people' expect us to be relegated or not?

Please do not embark on a career involving surveys/questionnaires.
Last edited by P!ssed Off on 19 May 2013 20:25, edited 2 times in total.

Stuka
Hob Nob Regular

by Stuka » 19 May 2013 20:17

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 19 May 2013 20:21

URZZZZZ So the season has finished with a 4-2 defeat and relegation, obviously not what people expected at the start of the season, but if we are all honest, only a handfull expected more.

So now its all over what positives can we take from the season, if there is any?

Nigel Adkins appointment.

blueroyals
Hob Nob Regular

by blueroyals » 19 May 2013 20:32

URZZZZZ So now its all over what positives can we take from the season, if there is any?

Gorkss won't be seen in a Reading shirt again

mikey0406

by mikey0406 » 19 May 2013 20:55

think theres alot of positives to take forward, hard to believe we are a better passing side that got us promoted in the first place, investment does not guarentee you stability and success (QPR ;) and that some our our home grown players can cut it at the highest level (HRK, McCarthy, Pearce and Karacan). And the boss has a fantastic group of players that with some investment we really should bounce straight back.

and what an investment ALF was... :)

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 19 May 2013 21:04

So now its all over what positives can we take from the season, if there is any?

Hang on, how can it not be what people expected, and yet only a handful expected more? That makes no sense!

Lots of players easily good enough for the Championship. A very good manager. All the right long-term investment. A great youth set up. A more easy on the eye brand of football. A wealthy, young determined owner who's not going to want to go through that again if he can help it.

moonwalklikebas

by moonwalklikebas » 19 May 2013 21:13

The great team move, that lead to Mclearys cross and Pavs superb header. One of the best live goals I've ever seen. Also proof that when Pav has service he is quality!!!

old woman

by old woman » 19 May 2013 22:59

We beat Newcastle at SJP. Living in the frozen North this means a lot and no-one can take that away from me!!!!
Beat the Makems at home as well :D

Once were Biscuitmen

by Once were Biscuitmen » 19 May 2013 23:00

URZZZZZ
Once were Biscuitmen Sigh, the biggest 'mistake' most people point out is not spending money. We had an average, albeit over-achieving Championship squad playing in the Premiership and this was always the most likely outcome.
If Anton wants lose lots of his Dad's money subsidizing a loss making business so we can achieve the dream of being a mid-table football club I'll happily enjoy his indulgence with everybody else.

However if he wants the club to be run as a fairly normal business- like SJM- then we will be faced with much the same corporate meta-game should we be promoted again.

Perhaps the best lesson would be for the fans to accept life is not fair in football finances and to enjoy the ride with a bit less moaning.

we could all see that, so why could anton and the club officials not? unless there happy just collecting the parachute payments

They could see it, but with the delay to the take-over and evidently not having enough money to do anything more about it the only thing we could do was, 'take the parachute payments.'

We could not afford to spend what Saints and West Ham did - it's as simple as that.

Given the rules of the financial game- and our relative place in it- it's the logical thing to do.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 19 May 2013 23:01

Ian Royal

Hang on, how can it not be what people expected, and yet only a handful expected more? That makes no sense!

Lots of players easily good enough for the Championship. A very good manager. All the right long-term investment. A great youth set up. A more easy on the eye brand of football. A wealthy, young determined owner who's not going to want to go through that again if he can help it.

'Greed IR. Plenty to be excited about in the long term, just need to be patient in the short.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 19 May 2013 23:27

URZZZZZ So the season has finished with a 4-2 defeat and relegation, obviously not what people expected at the start of the season

My name is Avon, don't think we've met.......

Royal91
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal91 » 20 May 2013 00:12

Buzzing for next season already, Yeovil here we come up!!!!!

Keep Mariappa, Guthrie, McCleary, HRK and ALF and we should have a good season!!!

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 20 May 2013 00:26

It's going to be a long summer. I just want to start again in the Championship next Saturday, not in 3 months time.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 20 May 2013 03:45

If there is one thing I hope that supporters have taken from this season is to better manage their own expectations. Do I believe that will be the case??? I am quietly confident about next season. NA has had a good number of games to assess the squad. He knows who will be released and he will have targets to bring in. Not only has he got experience of getting promoted from the Championship but he also has experience of being sacked. He knows what is required.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 20 May 2013 12:38

It has been absolutely awful from the first kick to the last and I can't say as I hugely share the excitement for next season.....woo, we get to play Burnley again :| Promotion str8 back or Adkins is a failure.

Memories for this season include Compo almost being run over in the style of Brian Harvey in Alexander Litvinenko's car (the Hob Nob one, not the dead Russian spy) en route to Stoke and Chris Baird scoring for Fulham and then stacking it into the advertising hoardings.

Didn't really hugely enjoy anything Reading did, although I did LOL when we managed to beat West Brom 3-2 having played like absolute clowns for 82 minutes. Many of you will have enjoyed the comeback against Chelsea, but I left after 70 minutes so i can't even say that :lol:

The Prisoner
Hob Nob Regular

by The Prisoner » 20 May 2013 12:47

I stopped reading at that point on the basis of confusion.