Why wont the club tell us the truth?

196 posts
Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Why wont the club tell us the truth?

by Avon Royal » 03 Sep 2013 13:14

Norfolk Royal The most relevant things were said when SJM sold up, ie that we would not be throwing the baby out with the bathwater, and sticking to the principles which have brought us success in recent years beyond anything we had in the 100 or so years before that.

And of course all the most successful businesses are those that don't adapt for the future and stick to doing what has worked for them in the past...........

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 03 Sep 2013 13:14

Binfield Royal So, it would seem, at least to those of us not ITK, that this last week of the transfer window was an abject failure.

I base this on the many and various comments from The Manager, The Owner and others from the club where we have been consistently told, via the various media sources (BBC (all platforms), Reading Post, The Chronicle etc) that we were variously "going to sign 7 new players", "3 more before the window closes", "Expect some signings before the deadline" etc. All of these were in a radio montage on BBCRB this morning so its on record.

If the clubs policy is to balance the books (still), then fine. I would be happy with a financially well run club that will not be at risk of doing a Portsmouth or Leeds.

What I object to is the bullshit.

If it is the plan to work within a budget, make the best of what we have, aim to compete in the Championship and if we are really lucky (as we have been twice before), spend a short and mainly losing spell in the PL before returning to our natural habitat, then fine. I can live with that and although I love to see our team win. the fact that its by no means certain that we will win adds something to the experience.

It appears to me that The Reading Way never left us. All this crap about new billionaire owners taking us to the next level appears to be just that. We have signed three good players while at the same time selling (arguably) our two most talented players from last year which to me (at least for now) suggests we are going backwards, or at best standing still.

My final worry is whether the manager will feel he has been misled. If he joined us thinking (as we all did) that Antons Dads deep pockets would mean we can build for a sustained stay in the PL, when the reality looks like the opposite, will he start to "tread water" rather than do all he can to motivate and drive the team?

We are your customers Reading FC. Be honest with us!

Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Scutterbucketz » 03 Sep 2013 13:15

TBM Its obvious that Hammond is the problem

Get rid of him and get someone like Joe Kinnear in, someone who knows their beans

Was going to suggest the same.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 03 Sep 2013 13:16

Spot on binfield.

Some posters fail to realise that the complaint of almost every complainer isn't simply that we didn't get more players, but that we were lead to believe we would in an attempt to bounce straight back. Few of us have a problem with caution and going brick by brick, but we just need honesty. Weve had years if honesty with Madejski taking about ambition and never showing any, only for him to eventually admit he needed to hand the reigns over to someone else who could. And now we have the same issue!

My concern is will we have years more dishonesty and ambiguity from a naive young new owner talking of one thing but doing another?

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 03 Sep 2013 13:23

Avon Royal
Norfolk Royal The most relevant things were said when SJM sold up, ie that we would not be throwing the baby out with the bathwater, and sticking to the principles which have brought us success in recent years beyond anything we had in the 100 or so years before that.

And of course all the most successful businesses are those that don't adapt for the future and stick to doing what has worked for them in the past...........

Very clever yes, horses for courses. I said principles, ie prudence and brick by brick. Brick by brick is not sticking to what you did in the past, it means a careful now progression which I believe is the right course.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 03 Sep 2013 13:24

Scutterbucketz
TBM Its obvious that Hammond is the problem

Get rid of him and get someone like Joe Kinnear in, someone who knows their beans

Was going to suggest the same.

Is this the Kinnear that is at odds with the manager, claims to be able to pick up the phone to anyone in the game, then signed nobody in the transfer window?

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 03 Sep 2013 13:25

I can't be sure Norrers, but I think it was a joke.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 03 Sep 2013 13:26

southbank1871 I can't be sure Norrers, but I think it was a joke.

Oh, :lol: :lol: if it was.

ddetisi

by ddetisi » 03 Sep 2013 13:27

Just because you pay to watch a team, buy a hot dog and a drink doesn't get you a seat in the boardroom.

The club is a business you choose to buy into. The sooner you realise that Antonio does not have to listen to your bitching the better.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 03 Sep 2013 13:27

tbh i thought better of you NR

Maybe you've been away from AE for too long!?

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 03 Sep 2013 13:29

2 world wars, 1 world cup Spot on binfield.

Some posters fail to realise that the complaint of almost every complainer isn't simply that we didn't get more players, but that we were lead to believe we would in an attempt to bounce straight back. Few of us have a problem with caution and going brick by brick, but we just need honesty. Weve had years if honesty with Madejski taking about ambition and never showing any, only for him to eventually admit he needed to hand the reigns over to someone else who could. And now we have the same issue!

My concern is will we have years more dishonesty and ambiguity from a naive young new owner talking of one thing but doing another?

That's a misrepresentation really. SJM has gone on the record numerous times over the years saying how football was a ridiculous financial gamble and was ready to sell to someone who had more money than him. It virtually became his mantra in recent years.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 03 Sep 2013 13:32

ddetisi Just because you pay to watch a team, buy a hot dog and a drink doesn't get you a seat in the boardroom.

The club is a business you choose to buy into. The sooner you realise that Antonio does not have to listen to your bitching the better.

He may not HAVE to, but he SHOULD. The numbers will dwindle as those who are not completely die hard fans of many years standing, decide to spend their hard earned cash either at a "bigger" club or they just don't bother going at all..... there will be a backlash at some point.

I remember the days when the fans wanted Frank Waller out - and he went - was never spoken of afterwards in anything but a bad light.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 03 Sep 2013 13:32

TBM tbh i thought better of you NR

Maybe I have, but all I can say is that since I left AE my hair has grown back, I'm wearing a £2,000 suit, I have a new car, and women respect and admire me.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 03 Sep 2013 13:32

Not really sure what the problem is tbf. What is everyone getting upset about? We'll prolly get someone decent in on loan and you'll all shut up again.

Got a lot of highly-paid players in the squad these days, very strong on paper at least, manager and players just need to knuckle down and get the team playing.

Bridge, Drente, and Williams are all very solid acquisitions. Why is there so much bitching?

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 03 Sep 2013 13:33

Maguire Not really sure what the problem is tbf. What is everyone getting upset about? We'll prolly get someone decent in on loan and you'll all shut up again.

Got a lot of highly-paid players in the squad these days, very strong on paper at least, manager and players just need to knuckle down and get the team playing.

Bridge, Drente, and Williams are all very solid acquisitions. Why is there so much bitching?

How many games have you watched recently?

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular

by southbank1871 » 03 Sep 2013 13:35

Norfolk Royal
TBM tbh i thought better of you NR

Maybe I have, but all I can say is that since I left AE my hair has grown back, I'm wearing a £2,000 suit, I have a new car, and women respect and admire me.

Overr8ed. Come back.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 03 Sep 2013 13:36

Maguire Not really sure what the problem is tbf. What is everyone getting upset about? We'll prolly get someone decent in on loan and you'll all shut up again.

All decent acquisitions.
But we need another striker if we want to get anywhere near Top 6.
Can't see us getting a 15+ goal a season striker in the loan market.
Last edited by P!ssed Off on 03 Sep 2013 13:39, edited 1 time in total.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 03 Sep 2013 13:38

Norfolk Royal

That's a misrepresentation really. SJM has gone on the record numerous times over the years saying how football was a ridiculous financial gamble and was ready to sell to someone who had more money than him. It virtually became his mantra in recent years.

True, but the overwhelming message was one of ambition with this message mixed in somewhere. The advert was clearly and undisputely ambition, the smallprint was one of caution. That smallprint only became the mantra in very recent times as you say. No one can say he was totally oblivious of the expectations of ambition he instilled in the masses surely.

What's Anton's excuse anyhow?
Last edited by Millsy on 03 Sep 2013 13:39, edited 1 time in total.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 03 Sep 2013 13:39

Running through all this is an implicit suggestion that the club making some vague noises about having ambition and wanting to sign players was the sole motivating factor in supporters renewing their season tickets. It's at best disingenuous and at worse being downright disrespectful to our STH.

They knew what they were taking on when they renewed. Most of them will renew again next year.

Dixeyroyal

by Dixeyroyal » 03 Sep 2013 13:39

Sanity at last.....

Nearly every single post complaining about the lack of signings refer solely to the "promise of delivering players that would enhance the squad" rather than quoting figures that run into millions.

Personally i don't care if we never spend in excess of £1 million again, as long as someone in the club actually comes out and says that we do not have the money. I for one would still renew my season ticket year after year but would do so with a realistic expectation of what we can achieve.

What every fan wants is a squad that is capable of challenging for promotion, at the moment we are some way off and playing Blackman every week kind of highlights that point. What worries me more than anything is the fact that when we start getting injuries, our back up is a team that were beaten 6-0 at Peterborough.

Like it or not, agree or disagree, what we all want is honesty. If Adkins says that he wants to bring in 3 more players before the window shuts then it is a pretty clear indication that he isn't entirely happy with what he has. Assuming therefore that he had a list of targets, you cannot help but question whether the failure to sign them is a lack of ambition or a lack of negotiating ability, whichever it is we just want the truth!

196 posts