Guthrie

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Guthrie

by Ian Royal » 08 Dec 2013 19:11

The Real Sandhurst Royal Not a holding midfielder he is more of a threat going forward in the final third.

For me Guthrie gives the ball away too often and cheaply.....Anyone got any stats on his pass success rate this season ?

79.3%
5th behind Drenthe, Karacan :shock: , Baird and Williams. But he averages the most passes a game by a mile. 50.8 (total 965) and the next best is Bridge on 40.7.

He's not a holding midfielder at all, but neither is he an attacking midfielder. He's a playmaker who should be playing in the middle of the park with the rest of the team playing around him.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 09 Dec 2013 12:51

AirRaidSiren He has been our best player this season thus far

Nope.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 09 Dec 2013 12:58

floyd__streete

Nope.

Nope, that would be Gunter

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 09 Dec 2013 13:00

TBM
floyd__streete

Nope.

Nope, that would be Gunter

Heh :lol:

Pog > McCarthy > anyone else.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 09 Dec 2013 13:09

He's a good player , but for me, it seems he's only interested in one thing................himself.

Don't rate him as a team player.

Oh, look at me, what a great cross field ball.................. almost as good as Beckham. :roll:

At times , I think Brian could have been right. :shock:

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 09 Dec 2013 13:12

:lol: Are you sure you aren't my Dad? he was saying exactly that on the way home

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 09 Dec 2013 13:34

ZacNaloen :lol: Are you sure you aren't my Dad? he was saying exactly that on the way home

Great minds think alike. :wink:

It obviously comes from a wise old head...........

Royal Biscuitman
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal Biscuitman » 09 Dec 2013 13:36

Delboy I also think that we play too many balls through him in midfield which slows the game down
That's something the manager has either instructed the team to do or isn't bothered instructing the team not to do, same with positioning - Guthrie often plays too deep in my opinion, I assume the manager hasn't told him to play further forward though.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 09 Dec 2013 13:48

Jesus Christ.

I'm not footballing sage, but as I've posted millions of times over the weekend, Guthrie as an individual does not slow our football down - in fact if you actually watch him, his close control is brilliant and he generally turns and pings the ball off to someone else.

If you don't give your central midfielders options to pass to, then at times he has to attempt the ridiculous, or will lose the ball, or a pass will go astray. He hasn't had a vintage couple of games by any means, but why so many thing a midfield plodder would be a better option is totally beyond me.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 09 Dec 2013 13:49

Helped give away the two goals on Saturday when we were comfortable, also gave away the penalty against Watford when we were coasting. Leads me to wonder if perhaps his floating free role in front of the back four can lead him to just switch off at times.

Do think he's been one of our better players this season but probably not the best, for overall consistency that has to go to McCarthy.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 09 Dec 2013 13:55

As for the second goal on Saturday, whilst he gave the ball away, I'm astonished at how readily people are willing to excuse Obita and Gorkss for totally standing off Ritichie who was on the edge of the penalty area, enabling him to shoot and score.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 09 Dec 2013 18:40

Once again it's always someone else's fault.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 09 Dec 2013 19:22

+1

SHORT AND CURLY

by SHORT AND CURLY » 09 Dec 2013 19:28

Sanguine As for the second goal on Saturday, whilst he gave the ball away, I'm astonished at how readily people are willing to excuse Obita and Gorkss for totally standing off Ritichie who was on the edge of the penalty area, enabling him to shoot and score.

Well if he didn't give the ball away in the first place, we would not have to excuse Obita and Gorkss for totally standing off Ritichie who was on the edge of the penalty area, enabling him to shoot and score.

marcusopp

by marcusopp » 09 Dec 2013 20:16

Gordons Cumming He's a good player , but for me, it seems he's only interested in one thing................himself.

Don't rate him as a team player.

Oh, look at me, what a great cross field ball.................. almost as good as Beckham. :roll:

At times , I think Brian could have been right. :shock:

Agree.
Too may players fancy themselves these days. I'd have Leigertwood back if he's fit. He holds his position and prevents the oppositions calving straight through us. I'm not saying Guthrie should never play again, but, as everyone on here agrees, not in that role!

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 Dec 2013 20:25

sandman Once again it's always someone else's fault.

It's very very rarely solely one person's fault. Unless of course you're talking about Federici diving over a straight forward and fairly tame long shot.

but you're a bit simple, so can be forgiven for getting it wrong all the time.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 09 Dec 2013 20:29

I dont really think that you are getting into the spirit of this Ian

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 09 Dec 2013 22:04

Just had a look at the midfield for the Watford game, which was our best performance to date.

Guthrie
Karacan
McAnuff
Drenthe
Blackman

with Le Fondre up front on his own, and Gunter and Bridge as the full backs.

If I remember correctly, Karacan played the role of Guthrie's water carrier and the other three were pretty fluid in their positions. Thereby giving Guthrie options and he had a lot of "out" balls to the full backs as they bombed forward

Interesting to note that Williams, HRK and McCleary were all on the bench (with Pog). Williams replaced Drenthe on 69 mins, after which we score one and concede two

Horsham Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Horsham Royal » 09 Dec 2013 22:25

marcusopp ...prevents the oppositions calving straight through us.

moo.

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 11 Dec 2013 07:39

The Real Sandhurst Royal wrote:
Not a holding midfielder he is more of a threat going forward in the final third.

For me Guthrie gives the ball away too often and cheaply.....Anyone got any stats on his pass success rate this season ?

Ian Royal wrote: 79.3%
5th behind Drenthe, Karacan :shock: , Baird and Williams. But he averages the most passes a game by a mile. 50.8 (total 965) and the next best is Bridge on 40.7.

He's not a holding midfielder at all, but neither is he an attacking midfielder. He's a playmaker who should be playing in the middle of the park with the rest of the team playing around him.

Nearly 80% pass completion rate, 50+ passes per game.

Can the stats provided be broken down further as a midfielder who is a playmaker makes the difference in the oppositions half?

How may of the passes per game are in Reading half of the pitch and backwards?

What is the pass completion rate in the opposition half?