Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: BFTG QPR

by melonhead » 17 Feb 2014 09:53

great performance with a perfect balance of nice football and grit

when we went down to ten, it didnt even show

stickywhisky

by stickywhisky » 17 Feb 2014 10:12

Royal Ginger Have to disagree with some of that. McAnuff was fantastic in the second half but didn't have a good first. I thought Obita had his worst game at LB. Gorkss & McAnuff were covering him alot and most if the first half danger came past him. He was out of position quite alot. I like them both and think they should both be in the 1st team, but this wasn't either of them at their best.

McAnuff 7 - On balance over the whole game
Obita - 5.5

Agree with this
Obita was also stood still while the scramble was going on for QPR's equaliser

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 17 Feb 2014 10:16

Any sign of the LR squirrel?

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 17 Feb 2014 10:17

stickywhisky
Royal Ginger Have to disagree with some of that. McAnuff was fantastic in the second half but didn't have a good first. I thought Obita had his worst game at LB. Gorkss & McAnuff were covering him alot and most if the first half danger came past him. He was out of position quite alot. I like them both and think they should both be in the 1st team, but this wasn't either of them at their best.

McAnuff 7 - On balance over the whole game
Obita - 5.5

Agree with this
Obita was also stood still while the scramble was going on for QPR's equaliser

think he was the one playing them onside too

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 17 Feb 2014 10:45

Yep.

I think I may be in love with Danny Williams.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 17 Feb 2014 10:48

EarleyRoyal16 Fantastic performance. Best away day in a long time, that'll be hard to beat this season.

McCarthy - 6: bit of a fumble for their goal but defence should have cleared the danger.
Gunter - 7: solid as always, gets overlooked by many but he really is a key player.
Pearce - 8: Not his biggest fan in recent weeks but what a performance today, love the passion he shows for the club.
Gorkss - 7: Unlucky for the red, never a red card challenge, was solid before.
Obita - 8: He gets better and better at LB. Kept Hoilett relatively quiet all day, always got forward well too.
McCleary - 9: This lad is just class. Scored possibly goal of the season and was causing problems all game.
Akpan - 7: Worked very hard for the team, few misplaced passes but he continues to impress me.
Williams - 10: What a player. Brilliant header for his goal and gave everything for the team, great on the ball and picks passes so so well. In love with the man. MOTM.
McAnuff - 9: As always with Jobi gave 110%. Tore their RB to pieces time and time again, works very well with Obita, set pieces seemed to improve as the game went on.
Le Fondre - 7: Great cross for Williams' goal, constant problem for Hill and Dunne.
Pogrebnyak - 8: Standard Pog performance really, worked hard for the team, remember a bit of skill which left Barton in a mess. Hope his injury is nothing serious, really need him in the side.

Hector -7: Looked mostly solid after coming on, going to get his chance now with Gorkss out, hope he does well.
Robson-Kanu - 6: Didn't really do much wrong.
Kelly - N/A: Only played about 2 minutes.

Cannot disagree with any of that. It was a toss up between McCleary, McAnuff and Williams for MOTM but think giving it to Williams is a fair shout.

As for those criticising McAnuff and Obita. McAnuff was very good all game and caused them constant problems. He is not always good - thought he was poor against SW last week but please give him credit when due.

And as for Obita the boy oozes class. Please remember he is not a trained LB so he its bound to be caught out of position at times, but he is a constant threat going forwards and has done much better than I expected at defending. I think playing him at LB has been one of the major reasons for our sudden upturn in form during recent weeks.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 17 Feb 2014 10:49

Obita was up against Hoilett, a very very good runner with the ball and he did a decent enough job. I'm happy with his performance.

His opposite did a lot worse against an aging Mcanuff remember.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 17 Feb 2014 10:54

Pepe the Horseman Yep.

I think I may be in love with Danny Williams.

agreed

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 17 Feb 2014 11:02

McAnuff was rubbish in the first half. I mean, what was he doing when he made the first goal??

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 17 Feb 2014 11:09

USA_Loyal_Royal whats worse is that tabb never scored for us in over 80 appearances and he scores for ipswitch in his first! :evil:

That's his only goal this season too!

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 17 Feb 2014 11:16

Hampshire Royal McAnuff was rubbish in the first half. I mean, what was he doing when he made the first goal??

I get your point but he didn't make that goal, he lost the ball on the edge of the box, Williams got hold of the loose ball played it thorough to Alfie who chipped it in perfectly for Williams to head home.

Even under "Snowball" stats he wouldn't get a half assist for that.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 17 Feb 2014 11:18

Wycombe Royal
Hampshire Royal McAnuff was rubbish in the first half. I mean, what was he doing when he made the first goal??

I get your point but he didn't make that goal, he lost the ball on the edge of the box, Williams got hold of the loose ball played it thorough to Alfie who chipped it in perfectly for Williams to head home.

He got the pass away to Williams.

CavershamRoyal

by CavershamRoyal » 17 Feb 2014 11:24

McCarthy - 7 Good saves from a couple of long range shots, perhaps should've done better for the goal, but Pearce got in his way a bit.
Gunter - 7 Linked up with McCleary well and was solid at the back, but should've stopped the cross for their goal.
Pearce - 8 Good goal and generally solid throughout, could've and probably should've scored another in first half
Gorkss - 6 Good work defensively but stupid tackle let's him down, even if it was a yellow it was still ridiculous to do 3-1 up.
Obita - 8 Great work at both ends of the pitch, only thing letting him down is he played Doyle onside.
McCleary - 9 Fantastic goal and always looked a threat.
Akpan - 7 One of his better performances, but gave the ball away just a bit too often.
Williams - 9 Great all round performance
McAnuff - 7 First half he wasted a few good runs, but was better in the second and covered excellently when Obita was up the pitch.
ALF - 7 Good cross and kept the defence on their toes, no real goal scoring opportunity though.
Pog - 8 really good work keeping the ball and even managed a nutmeg!

Hector - 6 Looked solid enough but didn't do anything outstanding
HRK - 6 same as Hector
Kelly - NA

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 17 Feb 2014 11:28

Not only that but he continued into the box where his movement took Clint Hill away and provided the space for Williams free header.

It won't appear on any stats assist list but it was crucial to the goal.

It was a terrific team goal all round.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 17 Feb 2014 11:30

Have a feeling this might have been just the game Obita needed. He definitely struggled against Hoilet but stick with it and I think he'll learn as much from this one game as all his other left back appearances combined.

BKRoyale

by BKRoyale » 17 Feb 2014 11:33

Vision Have a feeling this might have been just the game Obita needed. He definitely struggled against Hoilet but stick with it and I think he'll learn as much from this one game as all his other left back appearances combined.

I said exactly that about him playing the guy onside for the goal - that will be a very fast lesson learned and bet he'll work hard to make sure that doen't happen again. Still thought he was excellent yesterday, as he stuck at it with Hoilet and still had the confidence to push forward.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 17 Feb 2014 11:35

LWJ
Wycombe Royal

He got the pass away to Williams.

Just watched a replay and it looks like the defender got his foot in and pushed the ball away which ran in to Williams path, certainly doesn't look like McAnuff passed it to Williams to me.

I do agree with Vision's point about him creating the space for Williams free header though.

The Rouge
Hob Nob Regular

by The Rouge » 17 Feb 2014 11:38

I thought Jobi was great yesterday. He runs at players and is always going to lose the ball sometimes, but on the whole I thought he was great and fitness levels phenomenal.

Agree with those saying Williams, McAnuff or McCleary MOTM. Not many bad performances for us yesterday.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 17 Feb 2014 11:46

Wycombe Royal Just watched a replay and it looks like the defender got his foot in and pushed the ball away which ran in to Williams path, certainly doesn't look like McAnuff passed it to Williams to me.

I do agree with Vision's point about him creating the space for Williams free header though.

It nearly exactly the same as Mclearys assist the other week to Le Fondre.

Created chaos and space. In Mclearys case Le Fondre pounced as soon as Mclearly lost the ball where as this had a bit more build up.

For what it's worth, Mcanuff showed every part of this game good and bad yesterday (blind alleys being a particulary bug bear of mine). Mostly the good though.

download

by download » 17 Feb 2014 11:47

It really registered yesterday that we have dropped those pointless short balls from the goalie to the CB's. McCarthy was tending to hit everything long. I actually started to feel a bit happier went we dropped to 10, knowing that all we would focus on was to kill the game off and not try to do anything fancy.