Players out of contract

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Players out of contract

by Ian Royal » 21 Feb 2014 19:59

SPARTA
Silver Fox
SPARTA He like many others will have to take a pay cut as well.

Go on...

We have a wage bill we cannot sustain at this level. You can't expect any contract renewals of any key players to be higher or even on the same terms? They wont. The likes of McAnuff and Gorkss, assuming he is also a high ish earner, will have to accept a lesser deal.

He may not be that high, depending on when he signed his last deal. He'd certainly have had a relegation decrease clause and it's not like he's one of the wave of big name big wage signings we made, like Roberts, or Pogrebnyak, Guthrie, Drenthe, Williams.

And we've still got the same income next season as this one.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 21 Feb 2014 22:42

SPARTA
Silver Fox
SPARTA He like many others will have to take a pay cut as well.

Go on...

We have a wage bill we cannot sustain at this level. You can't expect any contract renewals of any key players to be higher or even on the same terms? They wont. The likes of McAnuff and Gorkss, assuming he is also a high ish earner, will have to accept a lesser deal.

So you are just speculating then, cool, I just wanted to make sure

St. Brynjar
Hob Nob Regular

by St. Brynjar » 22 Feb 2014 12:30

Gorkss should be number one priority imo. We're weak enough as it is even with Morrison back at CB.

FridaysGhost

by FridaysGhost » 22 Feb 2014 19:51

Jason Roberts has not made himself sufficiently rich yet. Surely we should move Heaven and Earth to extend his contract?

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 22 Feb 2014 23:18

SPARTA
maffff Yep

http://thetilehurstend.sbnation.com/201 ... ract-dates

On last known information

Stuart Taylor
Nick Arnold
Wayne Bridge
Kaspars Gorkss
Michael Hector
Lawson D'Ath
Mikele Leigertwood
Jobi McAnuff
Jake Taylor
Jason Roberts
Aaron Tshibola
Gozie Ugwu

It's possible Tish and Ugwu have had extensions which were not made public. Hector and J.Taylor are definitely due to expire.

Couldn't care less about those in red, but the rest we really need to keep, especially when if we don't go up we need to lose some bigger earners as well. Pog will certainly go. We could be left with one striker and no left-backs, and that's before you consider everywhere else that needs improving. It's going to be a very interesting but unsettling summer!

We should definitely try and renew Arnold's deal, he should be Gunter's deputy next season IMO. Very quick, very good going forwards. Hard to judge him defensively but he's a good player.

Also slightly bemused by the criticism D'Ath is getting, particularly relative to Taylor. Yes, he hasn't developed as we'd hoped, but he's a year younger than Taylor. A year ago, Taylor was in exactly the same boat. I wouldn't be particularly surprised to see both of them leave, but there isn't that much between them.

Just as a quick comparison, Gylfi was playing for Swansea when he was Taylor's age, and Hoffenheim when he was D'Ath's age... as another quick comparison, James Harper made his Reading debut in then-Division 2 (after a brief loan spell at Cardiff) when he was D'Ath's age. Players develop at different rates, but those two are definitely going to be late bloomers if they become regulars for us.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 23 Feb 2014 01:36

I will be very annoyed if Tshibola and Hector are allowed to move on a free.
Could very possibly both become key first team players in the future imo.

I would personally give Ugwu and Taylor new contracts, just for cover, I doubt they'll ever be 1st team regulars tbh.

Makes sense to let McAnuff and Gorkss move on. They are not the future. If they are not both on at least 20K per week I would be surprised. If we're cutting wages then that is the obvious and easiest place to begin.

Bridge, Stu Taylor, Roberts and Lwood off the books would be a massive relief as well.

The Summer will/should be a very busy one (outgoings in particular). IMO we need to shift at least 3 of Kelly, Guthrie, Pog and Drenthe off the books.
Also need to sell either Federici or McCarthy. Financially, it is stupid to have 2 1st team goalkeepers on 1st team wages.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 23 Feb 2014 14:35

Not seen much of Arnold but he's not really setting the world alight at Wycombe this season who are fighting a relegation battle in League 2. Obviously there's 10 other blokes there to bear responsibility but when I've browsed Wycombe's forums he's not earned rave reviews.

Might be a late developer but with Cummings and Kelly both under contract, unless we sell both I don't see the logic in retaining him.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 23 Feb 2014 14:51

He was Chris Cummin's favourite and he has missed two years through injury so doesn't have the achievements to his name that you might expect.

Our young left back has never really set the world alight on loan, and even Arnold's presence in the Wycombe side for so long is an achievement that most of our youngsters can't match.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 23 Feb 2014 15:01

SCIAG He was Chris Cummin's favourite and he has missed two years through injury so doesn't have the achievements to his name that you might expect.

Our young left back has never really set the world alight on loan, and even Arnold's presence in the Wycombe side for so long is an achievement that most of our youngsters can't match.

That's fair, to be honest I didn't know the extent of his injuries so thanks for that. It's certainly encouraging to see him starting regularly even if it is a bad side that's struggling massively. If Cummings and Kelly both go I think he's got a shot at staying but remember that Shaun Cummings is only 24 and Gunter just a few months older so it's not as if we haven't got long-term options down the right.

If you're talking about Obita, he certainly impressed down at Barnet and Gillingham and was doing OK at Pompey until a stupid red card wrecked his progress within a club that was falling apart.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 25 Feb 2014 22:56

Terminal Boardom I thought that I read on HNA? that Jason Roberts has retired. Why would he be on that list?

Agree with the sentiments regarding Jobi. He has to stay.

Not yet official. Unlikely to be until the season ends.