Obita signs three year deal

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Obita signs three year deal

by Ian Royal » 07 Aug 2015 20:06

Nameless Obita's problem is two fold
1. He loses concentration
2. He makes poor decisions
These 2 lead to him being caught out of position too often and his stock response is then to foul his man. Ferdinand was shouting at him all during the Espanyol game and I think he could be a huge influence on Obita. If he can sort out those 2 then he can go far.
His red card on Saturday was 100% down to bad decision making. He should not have been making any kind of tackle there, let alone a 2 footed one.

Bit of frustration in not getting to play in his preferred position maybe causing a problem...?

2.8 lita injection

by 2.8 lita injection » 07 Aug 2015 20:18

He is a central attacking midfielder, i hope they give him enough games in his correct position as i think he will turn out be the new sigi, clearly not as good thou.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 07 Aug 2015 23:49

2.8 lita injection He is a central attacking midfielder, i hope they give him enough games in his correct position as i think he will turn out be the new sigi, clearly not as good thou.

No he's not.

ladida_gunner_graham

by ladida_gunner_graham » 08 Aug 2015 10:39

Ian Royal
These 2 lead to him being caught out of position too often and his stock response is then to foul his man. Ferdinand was shouting at him all during the Espanyol game and I think he could be a huge influence on Obita. If he can sort out those 2 then he can go far.
His red card on Saturday was 100% down to bad decision making. He should not have been making any kind of tackle there, let alone a 2 footed one.

Bit of frustration in not getting to play in his preferred position maybe causing a problem...?

I can't get excited about Obita in his "preferred" position, assuming this is left midfield......hIs forward play is too rarely incisive these days. Passing is almost a percentage play, lobbed or drifted into general areas. How often does he beat a man, one on one? He increasingly relies on an unchallenged overlap to get anything like a decent cross in, and we're not creating these opportunities as we once did. Dead ball delivery is patchy, albeit great when he's "on". His defensive play does still need work, but I'm not convinced a move to left midfield will see an automatic rejuvenation of his form.

I was a huge fan in his first season, but unless he recaptures that early form/desire/focus (whatever the issue is), I think he's in danger of just drifting along as a 6 out of 10 sort of performer. He should be better than that.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 08 Aug 2015 10:44

sandman
2.8 lita injection He is a central attacking midfielder, i hope they give him enough games in his correct position as i think he will turn out be the new sigi, clearly not as good thou.

No he's not.

Agreed, and any manager who plays him there again deserves to be sacked.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 08 Aug 2015 11:04

ladida_gunner_graham I was a huge fan in his first season, but unless he recaptures that early form/desire/focus (whatever the issue is), I think he's in danger of just drifting along as a 6 out of 10 sort of performer. He should be better than that.

Agreed - if you analyse the two seasons though, the biggest difference was having the experience of Jobi playing in front of him in tht first season. he got very little cover / protection from HRK/Blackman, etc last year. If Quinn plays in front of him I think he'll have a good season, but if it Fosu or Hurtado then I think it will be more like last season's efforts

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Aug 2015 11:50

ladida_gunner_graham
Ian Royal

I can't get excited about Obita in his "preferred" position, assuming this is left midfield......hIs forward play is too rarely incisive these days. Passing is almost a percentage play, lobbed or drifted into general areas. How often does he beat a man, one on one? He increasingly relies on an unchallenged overlap to get anything like a decent cross in, and we're not creating these opportunities as we once did. Dead ball delivery is patchy, albeit great when he's "on". His defensive play does still need work, but I'm not convinced a move to left midfield will see an automatic rejuvenation of his form.

I was a huge fan in his first season, but unless he recaptures that early form/desire/focus (whatever the issue is), I think he's in danger of just drifting along as a 6 out of 10 sort of performer. He should be better than that.

That's all largely down to playing left back for two seasons though. Remember, he was an inexperienced Academy graduate when he broke into the team with lots to learn about wing play at this level. And whilst he's played regularly for two seasons, it's in a different position so he hasn't learnt that stuff. He's not far off being in the same position as Fosu in experience for wing play at Championship level.

I think across a season he'd turn into a pretty decent left winger if played there regularly. He certainly gets plenty of assists from left back.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Aug 2015 11:52

3points
ladida_gunner_graham I was a huge fan in his first season, but unless he recaptures that early form/desire/focus (whatever the issue is), I think he's in danger of just drifting along as a 6 out of 10 sort of performer. He should be better than that.

Agreed - if you analyse the two seasons though, the biggest difference was having the experience of Jobi playing in front of him in tht first season. he got very little cover / protection from HRK/Blackman, etc last year. If Quinn plays in front of him I think he'll have a good season, but if it Fosu or Hurtado then I think it will be more like last season's efforts

IMO this is the biggest shame that we couldn't keep Jobi. I think if we'd kept him and switched the two so Jobi saw out his days at LB and Obita pushed forward, Jordan could have really developed very nicely as a winger, knowing both the attacking and defending responsibilities for the left flank inside out.

cornflake

by cornflake » 12 Aug 2015 09:48

Totally agree.