MATCHWATCH : Queen's Park Rangers (a) not sponsored by opening day depression

168 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Queen's Park Rangers (a) not sponsored by opening day depression

by Sutekh » 04 Aug 2017 09:00

bcubed
STAR Liaison The QPR secretary unilaterally decided to take the apostrophe out of their name in the early 70s (roughly) so it is as per their badge not as per your Matchwatch subject line.

Technically of course you are correct - it should be Queen's Park Rangers just as it still is Queen's Park in Scotland.

As you may know STAR is very hot on apostrophes (even won an award in April) and we look forward to the massed ranks of Reading fans chanting "where's your apostrophe gone?" on Saturday. #openingdaydepression

Thanks Star
Interesting stuff.
And I didn't know STAR was hot on apostrophes. I might now join

Where do STAR stand on semi colons?

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

Re: MATCHWATCH : Queen's Park Rangers (a) not sponsored by opening day depression

by STAR Liaison » 04 Aug 2017 10:15

Sutekh
bcubed
STAR Liaison The QPR secretary unilaterally decided to take the apostrophe out of their name in the early 70s (roughly) so it is as per their badge not as per your Matchwatch subject line.

Technically of course you are correct - it should be Queen's Park Rangers just as it still is Queen's Park in Scotland.

As you may know STAR is very hot on apostrophes (even won an award in April) and we look forward to the massed ranks of Reading fans chanting "where's your apostrophe gone?" on Saturday. #openingdaydepression

Thanks Star
Interesting stuff.
And I didn't know STAR was hot on apostrophes. I might now join

Where do STAR stand on semi colons?

We'd spell it right for start. Semicolons.

Anyway, I like bcubed's suggestion of a marketing slogan for STAR - "Hot on apostrophes". Beats the current leading contender - "Polishing Tinpots" - but both have that essential grain of inner truth that a catchphrase needs.

Roll on Saturday - I'm looking forward to be squashed in Loftus Road and trying to work out who's playing what formation for us.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 05 Aug 2017 13:38

LightwaterRoyal
Stranded
KC Royal
Was about to say it is area restricted. Shame you haven't got it, bit surprised I can get it now given that I've got at least 2 of the stations you mention. I'm more likely to listen now, already heard some of Andrew Peach recently along with some of the sports show last Saturday. Doubt I would have listened to any of that otherwise. I remember hearing that at some stage it was going to go on Freeview but then forgot all about it. Wonder now whether I could have listened to the coverage before setting off to Wembley...

Word of warning, certainly here in Germany, once the game starts then Berks goes quiet as they don't have the rights to broadcast the game outside the region.

Hapens to me just outside Glasgow. Just get a little tune and a guy with a pleasant voice repeating that it's not available in your area.
Gets a bit boring after 90 minutes

I'm assuming being on Freeview it's not restricted by the blockout online, it's just the usual radio coverage being made available in a bigger area, if that all makes sense. I've often listened to the pre-match coverage (whether live or on catch-up - and have caught some of it so far today) and obviously it ends online at 3pm as they want you to listen online to the Player coverage. I'm guessing this is all different.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Aug 2017 13:45

Mannone,
Gunter, Moore, Ilori, Blackett
Kelly, Evans, Swift
Popa, Dadi, Clement

Subs: Ansi, Richards, Mendes, Rinomhota, Barrow, Smith

Decent XI, bench looks light though. Wobbly at lb and midfield needs to put a shift in or be found a bit lightweight.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 05 Aug 2017 13:49

Yikes, anyone hear the barrel being scraped with that bench?

Royals and Racers
Hob Nob Addict

by Royals and Racers » 05 Aug 2017 13:51

Couldn't even get 7 bodies

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 05 Aug 2017 13:52

only 6 subs as well!

Just shows that we need to sign another central midfielder in the next three weeks

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 05 Aug 2017 13:55

so, what does the injury list look like?

McShane
Joey
GMac
Yann
Beerens
Obita
Quinn

who else am I missing for regular starters?
Last edited by 3points on 05 Aug 2017 14:24, edited 1 time in total.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 05 Aug 2017 13:56

Given that Obita is nowhere to be seen and we only have 6 subs I'm assuming he was a late withdrawal?

Hmm, 4-3-3, doesn't surprise me, but our chances may depend on how we start...

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 05 Aug 2017 14:10

Surprised to see Rinamohta and not either Barrett or Loader. Looks like Smith is ahead of Loader in Stam's pecking order

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Aug 2017 14:13

That bench is pretty grim

Mendes can only be half fit as well

double d

by double d » 05 Aug 2017 14:18

This won't ends well. I think we will still lose 5-0

alfie9

by alfie9 » 05 Aug 2017 14:26

If we hadn't signed Barrow our only fit outfield sub would've been a recovering Mendes :lol:

Still optimistic though. Our starting line-up is reasonably strong

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 05 Aug 2017 14:27

NObita? Odd one that. Smith on the bench is a surprise.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 05 Aug 2017 14:31

Reckon Stam is making a point to the board by naming only 6 subs.

alfie9

by alfie9 » 05 Aug 2017 14:33

Mid Sussex Royal Reckon Stam is making a point to the board by naming only 6 subs.

Still don't get it though... why not give someone like Loader the matchday experience as a sub? Even if you don't intend to play him

Melton Royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Melton, New York, Paris & Dubai - but mostly Melton and just outside the lockdown zone

by Melton Royal » 05 Aug 2017 14:48

Welcome back everyone - seems like months since we were last here

Meanwhile BBC showing that we've had a mere 25% of possession - sack the Board, sack Stam, sack the team

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 05 Aug 2017 14:56

Seems Swift has started the season like he finished the last....

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 05 Aug 2017 14:57

First moan of the season 8)

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 05 Aug 2017 14:58

Listening to BBCRB, they're making it sound like an exciting game, that's different from a usual QPR game.

How is it live for the people who could be bothered to get a stream working?

168 posts