How bad would relegation be?

193 posts

How bad would relegation actually be (1-10)?

10 (RFC Ceases to exists)
11%
19%
19%
18%
7%
12%
2%
5%
1%
1(Fun season that actually makes the club stronger)
7%

Total votes: 85
blythspartan
Hob Nob Regular

Re: How bad would relegation be?

by blythspartan » 06 Feb 2022 15:30

Millsy If owners stay, no biggie.

If it means they'll bugger off and leave us in trouble potentially closer to 10.

Agree with this.

Until it happens we’re never going to know. There are enough big games to attract decent crowds. If we were pushing for promotion we’d get bigger crowds than we do now. Obviously, if we’re at the wrong end of the table we’ll be averaging around 8k. I am a confident 3 as I believe that the owners will stay and I’d look forward to going to “one song Pompey”, Forest Green and hopefully Swindon/Oxford.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Feb 2022 18:20

Change the owners and I'd be a 2.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 06 Feb 2022 18:43

ILoveMoonPig Do we lose protection of our academy if we get relegated? That could be bad if we plan to survive on our academy graduates.

There is no relation between EPPP categories and the level you play at. Sunderland are a Category One academy.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 06 Feb 2022 20:00

For the football club it's a shitshow, but from the point of view of interesting away games it opens up some possibilities. From a selfish point of view I'd take it, and if it means the clubs ultimate demise and formation of a phoenix club comes quicker then I guess that's a plus too.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 06 Feb 2022 23:24

A disaster anyone who thinks it would be anything else lives in a fantasy land

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 07 Feb 2022 08:18

It will be awful - we already have to rebuild a squad this summer but by staying up it is at a level that we "know" - dropping down a level means less income, smaller enforced wage budget plus selling any remaining under contract players at firesale prices.

Given the shitshow nature of the club it's not even likely we'd be seen as an attractive option by players at that level unless we a) get the managerial appointment right and b) our budget still allows us to be a top payer in the division.

The hope is we go down and challenge, attendences go up and a feel good factor returns but if we don't then the SCL will resonate to the sound of 6k crowds pretty quickly as the realisation of watching L1 plodders (rather than Champ ones) sinks in.

Record low crowd as we host West Ham u21s in the Trophy will be a sight to behold.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Feb 2022 08:51

It'd be a lot better now than it would have been a couple of years ago when we had everyone on long expensive contracts. It really would be a case of clearing the decks and starting afresh. Joao, Meite and Ejaria would join Moore and Puscas in leaving. We'd be left with literally Southwood and McIntyre

We'd still be an attractive option. Great training base, decent stadium, location remains a pull. You'd have plenty of big games still with the likes of Sunderland, Portsmouth, Charlton and Ipswich probably bringing as many as the likes of blackpool do now.

The standard would obviously be lower and we'd need to completely readjust to our transfer policy. I think it'd still be another year of transition in Div 1 where we'd prob end mid tableish and would hopefully start to get our act together from that point.

We'd certainly lose income, but then we'd also clear the books of the high wages as well.

TLDR, wouldn't be the end of the world. But it'd be a big disappointment and it'd take a while to get back up I reckon

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 07 Feb 2022 09:17

Hound It'd be a lot better now than it would have been a couple of years ago when we had everyone on long expensive contracts. It really would be a case of clearing the decks and starting afresh. Joao, Meite and Ejaria would join Moore and Puscas in leaving. We'd be left with literally Southwood and McIntyre

We'd still be an attractive option. Great training base, decent stadium, location remains a pull. You'd have plenty of big games still with the likes of Sunderland, Portsmouth, Charlton and Ipswich probably bringing as many as the likes of blackpool do now.

The standard would obviously be lower and we'd need to completely readjust to our transfer policy. I think it'd still be another year of transition in Div 1 where we'd prob end mid tableish and would hopefully start to get our act together from that point.

We'd certainly lose income, but then we'd also clear the books of the high wages as well.

TLDR, wouldn't be the end of the world. But it'd be a big disappointment and it'd take a while to get back up I reckon

I actually think it's worse now than it would have been 2 years ago. We'd have had the squad to get out of League One and even if some of the bigger earners didn't want to stay around, we could have sold on for a good fee elsewhere anyway. There isn't a guarantee that we would clear the high wages off our wage bill. I'd imagine there would be suitors for most but it would probably come at a cost for us if we were to sell them on.

The facilities and our ground and modern history make us an attractive prospect for most top League One players, but there are others who could say similar things as well without the restrictions we will have in place. It could be a tough watch next season if we were to go down as I wouldn't be expecting us to jump back up at the first time of asking.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Feb 2022 09:47

We'd definitely have takers for Ejaria Meite and Joao if we go down.

A few years ago we almost certainly wouldnt have had for Baldock, McNulty, Aluko, Rafael - maybe not even Moore. We'd have had a mega wage bill with little of the same income. We'd have been totally screwed financially and stuck with bang average players

At least now the wage bill starts at virtually zero and we can play accordingly. I'm not convinced the restrictions will actually impact us a huge amount next year once we clear out the high earners - this assuming Moore and Puscas both leave as well

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 07 Feb 2022 10:09

It also depends at what cost it would mean selling them for. How much of a fee would we get for them and would we be subsidising those wages as well. Meite and Joao we could get a decent fee for and we probably wouldn't end up subsidising their wages but I wouldn't be so sure with Ejaria.

Baldock, McNulty and Aluko probably would have done well in League One though in all fairness, they'd have been good players in that league, granted their wages were high but I'm sure we'd have had relegation release clauses in there somewhere, or a wage drop clause.

The problem with starting from zero is a) it depends how much we can offer players according to our restrictions and b) it means having a transition of probably 15-20 first team players which will be tough to manoeuvre for any incoming manager.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 07 Feb 2022 10:13

Going down to League 1 would have one positive and many negatives imo. The one positive is taking on new teams, a few decent local games to watch and games against unfamilar opposition. The negatives to it are almost endless and a lot would depend on the owner sticking around and bankrolling it. If we went down we wouldn't come straight back up imo, think it would take a couple of seasons of rebuilding.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 07 Feb 2022 10:32

YorkshireRoyal99
Hound It'd be a lot better now than it would have been a couple of years ago when we had everyone on long expensive contracts. It really would be a case of clearing the decks and starting afresh. Joao, Meite and Ejaria would join Moore and Puscas in leaving. We'd be left with literally Southwood and McIntyre

I actually think it's worse now than it would have been 2 years ago. We'd have had the squad to get out of League One and even if some of the bigger earners didn't want to stay around, we could have sold on for a good fee elsewhere anyway. There isn't a guarantee that we would clear the high wages off our wage bill. I'd imagine there would be suitors for most but it would probably come at a cost for us if we were to sell them on.

The facilities and our ground and modern history make us an attractive prospect for most top League One players, but there are others who could say similar things as well without the restrictions we will have in place. It could be a tough watch next season if we were to go down as I wouldn't be expecting us to jump back up at the first time of asking.

Would add the crop coming through the academy at this point in time doesn't look anywhere near as strong as two/three years ago either with the likes of McIntyre, Holmes, Rinomhota and Olise breaking through in recent seasons. Loader may have been better equipped for L1 football too

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 07 Feb 2022 10:35

Anywhere from 2-5 seasons I'd think for us to get back up from League One. I don't think the owner would pull the plug on the funding of the club if I'm honest, I think that's a pretty extreme view but we'd certainly need plenty of time to transition out of our sanctions and rebuild.

The only problem I'd have is I'm not sure it would happen all under 1 manager though, especially the longer we go on without promotion, the more disgruntled I can imagine the fanbase would get. If we were to go down, I'd personally take Alex Neil on a 2-3 year deal and allow him to bring his full coaching, scouting and medical team with him if possible. Not keeping scratch staff members from other coaches, like Nuno Gomes who is still here from Gomes' time at the club, Joao Penedo who is also part of Gomes' team who is on the performance analyst side etc.

If it's a clean slate, that has to include staff members as well as players. I can imagine it's not great for Pauno currently having some staff members that he has worked closely with for a number of years, whilst having other staff members from other coaches etc.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 07 Feb 2022 10:45

URZZZZ
YorkshireRoyal99

Would add the crop coming through the academy at this point in time doesn't look anywhere near as strong as two/three years ago either with the likes of McIntyre, Holmes, Rinomhota and Olise breaking through in recent seasons. Loader may have been better equipped for L1 football too

I suppose it's always hard to tell as the 4 mentioned have had significant first team experience whereas the current crop haven't had too much really. Only time will tell if they can be as good as/exceed where the others are/have gone, although I'd agree that, on the surface, they don't look as if they will be as good. Abbey, Bristow, Samuels, Boyce-Clarke, Clarke, Azeez all look promising and would probably benefit from football in League One and develop into the Championship. Not to mention that Southwood, McIntyre and Holmes are already at the club, so some opportunities may be limited but it would also be a benefit to a few of them as well.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 07 Feb 2022 11:03

yeah agreed, difficult to judge on the academy players. Clarke has already scored more than Loader for the first team hasn't he? He could develop into a decent player. Tetek looks good as does Azeez.

Olise was a bit of a one off I think - quality player who we did well to get a season out of. Dorsett seems to be doing ok. Ashcroft, Stickalnd still very young and could come through.

Wouldn't be out of the question for Azeez, Tetek, Southwood, Dorsett, McIntyre and Clarke playing a good percentage of games in L1 next year. Even Samuels, Bristow or Ashcroft.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Feb 2022 11:51

Hound We'd definitely have takers for Ejaria Meite and Joao if we go down.

A few years ago we almost certainly wouldnt have had for Baldock, McNulty, Aluko, Rafael - maybe not even Moore. We'd have had a mega wage bill with little of the same income. We'd have been totally screwed financially and stuck with bang average players

At least now the wage bill starts at virtually zero and we can play accordingly. I'm not convinced the restrictions will actually impact us a huge amount next year once we clear out the high earners - this assuming Moore and Puscas both leave as well

This.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Feb 2022 11:55

YorkshireRoyal99 It also depends at what cost it would mean selling them for. How much of a fee would we get for them and would we be subsidising those wages as well. Meite and Joao we could get a decent fee for and we probably wouldn't end up subsidising their wages but I wouldn't be so sure with Ejaria.

Baldock, McNulty and Aluko probably would have done well in League One though in all fairness, they'd have been good players in that league, granted their wages were high but I'm sure we'd have had relegation release clauses in there somewhere, or a wage drop clause.

The problem with starting from zero is a) it depends how much we can offer players according to our restrictions and b) it means having a transition of probably 15-20 first team players which will be tough to manoeuvre for any incoming manager.

Any fees in for them would be a positive. A few million for the lot would fund a fair few L1 transfer fees and their wages would fund 6 - 8 L1 players' wages.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 07 Feb 2022 12:00

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99 It also depends at what cost it would mean selling them for. How much of a fee would we get for them and would we be subsidising those wages as well. Meite and Joao we could get a decent fee for and we probably wouldn't end up subsidising their wages but I wouldn't be so sure with Ejaria.

Any fees in for them would be a positive. A few million for the lot would fund a fair few L1 transfer fees and their wages would fund 6 - 8 L1 players' wages.

Agree that any fee for them would be a positive but I also wouldn't want to be subsidising a large portion of their wages either if they moved elsewhere, again, it just eats into what we can offer other players.

It also depends if we will remain under an embargo next season as well, meaning we wouldn't be able to spend money on players again and would be restricted to what we can offer in terms of wages. Given the fact we'd end up with so many players leaving, I can imagine it would be far more lenient next season than this season.

Also, their wages wouldn't fund 6-8 L1 players wages, unless you were talking bottom L1 clubs' wages, which we would want to avoid I'm sure.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Feb 2022 12:18

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal

Agree that any fee for them would be a positive but I also wouldn't want to be subsidising a large portion of their wages either if they moved elsewhere, again, it just eats into what we can offer other players.

It also depends if we will remain under an embargo next season as well, meaning we wouldn't be able to spend money on players again and would be restricted to what we can offer in terms of wages. Given the fact we'd end up with so many players leaving, I can imagine it would be far more lenient next season than this season.

Also, their wages wouldn't fund 6-8 L1 players wages, unless you were talking bottom L1 clubs' wages, which we would want to avoid I'm sure.

No way I'd accept a deal that didn't get them off the wage bill completely

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 07 Feb 2022 12:25

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal Any fees in for them would be a positive. A few million for the lot would fund a fair few L1 transfer fees and their wages would fund 6 - 8 L1 players' wages.

No way I'd accept a deal that didn't get them off the wage bill completely

Which is exactly my point, we end up keeping them on our wage bill. It wouldn't be a bad thing per say, we'd get to keep 3 players who were too good for L1 around and hopefully see us get the goals necessary for promotion, but if it doesn't work like that, then it leaves us with a problem. As teams like Sunderland, Ipswich and likely Sheff Wednesday have encountered recently.

As you stated above, their wages are probably equivalent to 2-4 L1 players' salaries as well, on average anyway. So it's a case of either keep those 3 around potentially and have a smaller squad of sell them on, hopefully with someone paying all of their wages and recruit potentially up to 6 other players. I wouldn't quite describe it as a "lose-lose" scenario, as both options have it's positives, but both could work out badly for us as well.

193 posts