BFTG - Preston

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: BFTG - Preston

by SouthDownsRoyal » 05 Nov 2022 10:00

Orion1871
Loafer club1871 were a disgrace tonight, ruining the minute silence

You'd know all about hooliganism at football...

A man who was left heartbroken by the split from his high-school sweetheart has admitted threatening her new boyfriend at a Royals’ match.

XXXXXXX appeared at Reading Magistrates’ Court on Monday last week charged with using threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour intended to cause fear of violence.

XXXXXXXX had already been given a police caution for calling his ex more than 100 times after their break-up but was arrested following an incident at the Madejski Stadium, when Reading were playing Birmingham on Sunday, May 3.

The court heard the former XXXXXXXX pupil had been to the game and seen his ex with her new boyfriend when trouble began, and the two engaged in ‘playground behaviour’.

Martin Chandler, defending, said: “Mr XXXXXXXXX admits flicking beer in the direction of XXXXXXXX and making two hurtful comments during the first half of the game, and he says there were looks at him during the second half of the match which he perceived as belittling.

“He accepts that on the way out of the ground he shouted abuse and accepted he was doing that before his parents met up with him and then there was nothing further.

“It was playground behaviour, an unfortunate incident of childish behaviour.”

XXXXXX, a first year business studies student at XXXXXXX, was fined £100 and ordered to pay £60 costs and a £15 victim surcharge.

What’s that?

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 05 Nov 2022 10:13

The fatigue one is interesting as its the same for both sides and Preston had a long journey down.

We lost because of mistakes at the back though which is where we haven't been able to rotate all season.

Agree with previous posters I'd bring in NGW now for baba, he's coasting through games obviously due to the World Cup round the corner.

Hull next week is key, as even if we play well on Tues we will likely lose.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 05 Nov 2022 10:17

John Smith
leon
tidus_mi2 It was stupid and clearly certain parts weren't paying attention when they said the silence would follow the Last Post but it didn't seem intentional as they quickly shut up.

Tbf someone in the ED started clapping after the last post. This led to a smattering of applause. Someone in the away end shouted something and then 1871 piped up.

All in all, a fcuking shambles.

Club 1871 let the club down again. End of. And on TV for the world to witness. An utter embarrassing shambles, much like the movement as a whole.

More embarrassing was the utterly pathetic display from the team.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Nov 2022 10:37

SouthDownsRoyal
Orion1871
Loafer club1871 were a disgrace tonight, ruining the minute silence

You'd know all about hooliganism at football...

A man who was left heartbroken by the split from his high-school sweetheart has admitted threatening her new boyfriend at a Royals’ match.

XXXXXXX appeared at Reading Magistrates’ Court on Monday last week charged with using threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour intended to cause fear of violence.

XXXXXXXX had already been given a police caution for calling his ex more than 100 times after their break-up but was arrested following an incident at the Madejski Stadium, when Reading were playing Birmingham on Sunday, May 3.

The court heard the former XXXXXXXX pupil had been to the game and seen his ex with her new boyfriend when trouble began, and the two engaged in ‘playground behaviour’.

Martin Chandler, defending, said: “Mr XXXXXXXXX admits flicking beer in the direction of XXXXXXXX and making two hurtful comments during the first half of the game, and he says there were looks at him during the second half of the match which he perceived as belittling.

“He accepts that on the way out of the ground he shouted abuse and accepted he was doing that before his parents met up with him and then there was nothing further.

“It was playground behaviour, an unfortunate incident of childish behaviour.”

XXXXXX, a first year business studies student at XXXXXXX, was fined £100 and ordered to pay £60 costs and a £15 victim surcharge.

What’s that?

An example of DD/Loafer's behaviour at football.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 05 Nov 2022 10:38

Having watched the highlights back does anyone else think Lumley should have done better on the 2nd goal? He moves far too close to the near post before Evans shoots and gives too much of the goal to aim at. Feel if he stayed central he would have saved it.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Nov 2022 10:39

Royal_jimmy Having watched the highlights back does anyone else think Lumley should have done better on the 2nd goal? He moves far too close to the near post before Evans shoots and gives too much of the goal to aim at. Feel if he stayed central he would have saved it.

I have this nagging feeling Lumley could have done better on about half the goals he concedes. But then I could probably say that for quite a few keepers

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 05 Nov 2022 10:44

Royal_jimmy Having watched the highlights back does anyone else think Lumley should have done better on the 2nd goal? He moves far too close to the near post before Evans shoots and gives too much of the goal to aim at. Feel if he stayed central he would have saved it.

If he’d made the right decision yes, but he goes further out and Evans gets a better connection everyone would be saying he came too far out. The game rests on those margins.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 05 Nov 2022 10:58

Well, that was just really bad, other than a 10-minute spell up until the penalty and goal. A really poor performance basically all around, with a few exceptions including Holmes who did ok, Fornah did well when he came on I thought and Joao's goal and he did try and do the right things. The rest were really poor.

I've seen a few fans criticising Lumley on the goal and, as much as I don't think it's an "error", maybe he could have done better. My initial reaction was that it was a good finish and having seen it back, it's still a good finish but maybe he is stood half a yard closer to the near post than necessary. I think maybe more could have been done, I think both finishes were just good finishes and had too much pace on for him.

The ease of the goals is poor though, TMac has to get out quicker to Evans for the second goal and the first goal is simply switching off from the second phase of a set piece, basics really. Passing was wayward, both Hendrick and Loum were poor with the ball, Ince had plenty of endeavour as always but took too many touches, decisions were poor and lost the ball often but looked like he had some threat at times so probably gets a bit more credit. Our pressing was non-existent at times, but that's understandable with the number of games.

Our wing backs have been really poor for a few games now. NGW simply has to come back in. It's a tough position to play and we need energy in those areas to get up and down to make sure we don't get pinned back but we don't really have that flexibility at the minute to change much other than NGW coming in.

The team really needs the WC break to get some bodies back in, get some work done on the training field and some rest into the legs of the players. I do actually agree with P.Ince, I do think the sheer number of games with the same players being asked to play at the same level every week is difficult, but it was a poor performance. It looks like it's caught up with us now. Incidentally, not one to open a can of worms but, when does the talk in change of management seriously come into play? 1 win in 8, poor performance last night? Watford (A) will be tough, Hull (A) is typically a graveyard for us, so I'm not expecting much but, a couple of heavy defeats and performances similar to last night (with the WC break there) and maybe a change in management would be considered?

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 05 Nov 2022 11:00

We don't ever see Lumley make any really great saves. He has done OK but no more than that.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 05 Nov 2022 11:14

Zip We don't ever see Lumley make any really great saves. He has done OK but no more than that.

I can think of a couple impressive saves, particularly Blackburn at home and he made a couple of decent one's at QPR as well to no avail, but obviously that one big disaster at Rotherham and maybe one or two moments (like last night) when you feel he could have better.

I think he's been solid. Not outstanding, just solid in the main. I think he's pretty quick to get criticised based on his previous reputation, but overall has done pretty well bar Rotherham. As said, he doesn't pull out many fantastic saves, but doesn't make many errors either really, one game against Rotherham in 19 games isn't disastrous. I don't know what other Championship sides feel about their goalkeepers though or how he compares.

For those who do criticise his shot stopping ability, I just don't think his footwork is the best, but I think that's the trade-off with a strong, physical goalkeeper. One or two hairy moments from crosses, but in the main has been commanding from them when called upon and naturally being a taller, bigger goalkeeper does make it tougher for the opposition forwards to score as there is less target to aim at. The club will have matrixes to measure this, I'm sure.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 05 Nov 2022 11:19

YorkshireRoyal99
Zip We don't ever see Lumley make any really great saves. He has done OK but no more than that.

I can think of a couple impressive saves, particularly Blackburn at home and he made a couple of decent one's at QPR as well to no avail, but obviously that one big disaster at Rotherham and maybe one or two moments (like last night) when you feel he could have better.

I think he's been solid. Not outstanding, just solid in the main. I think he's pretty quick to get criticised based on his previous reputation, but overall has done pretty well bar Rotherham. As said, he doesn't pull out many fantastic saves, but doesn't make many errors either really, one game against Rotherham in 19 games isn't disastrous. I don't know what other Championship sides feel about their goalkeepers though or how he compares.

For those who do criticise his shot stopping ability, I just don't think his footwork is the best, but I think that's the trade-off with a strong, physical goalkeeper. One or two hairy moments from crosses, but in the main has been commanding from them when called upon and naturally being a taller, bigger goalkeeper does make it tougher for the opposition forwards to score as there is less target to aim at. The club will have matrixes to measure this, I'm sure.

Probably could have saved Burnley's winner too

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 05 Nov 2022 11:52

It's fair to say that Loum did not have a great game.

However, in the first half he did save us from conceding a likely goal, chasing back and producing a great recovery ball after Yiadom (I think) had played a perfect pass inside to set one of Preston's forwards free.

The local media give ratings to all of the players after the game, it would be interesting to also see ratings for P Ince. IMO he got things badly wrong yesterday and his constant bleating about tiredness (as pointed out Preston also had three games in six days and had to travel to the SCL) must surely start to become a self-fulfilling prophecy in the minds of the players.

If he was that worried about fatigue, why did he leave his freshest players sat on the bench for the majority of the game, rather than starting some of them. He can no longer use the excuse that he's only got kids on the bench. They were very good players he left sitting there.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 05 Nov 2022 12:29

RoyalBlue It's fair to say that Loum did not have a great game.

However, in the first half he did save us from conceding a likely goal, chasing back and producing a great recovery ball after Yiadom (I think) had played a perfect pass inside to set one of Preston's forwards free.

The local media give ratings to all of the players after the game, it would be interesting to also see ratings for P Ince. IMO he got things badly wrong yesterday and his constant bleating about tiredness (as pointed out Preston also had three games in six days and had to travel to the SCL) must surely start to become a self-fulfilling prophecy in the minds of the players.

If he was that worried about fatigue, why did he leave his freshest players sat on the bench for the majority of the game, rather than starting some of them. He can no longer use the excuse that he's only got kids on the bench. They were very good players he left sitting there.

Yep. It cannot help the players mindsets when he keeps talking about fatigue.
It's also a concern that we are now regularly losing games in the final 10/ 15 minutes

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 05 Nov 2022 12:35

Not seen the replay but I was in line with the shot. The ball had an odd shape on it when struck and I'm not sure if it took an nick off a player or it was mishit...

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Nov 2022 13:24

Tbf McIntytre couldn’t have helped Evans any more other than literally pointing to where he should hit it. Nice enough strike but made it so so easy for him. Probably unsighted Lumley a bit as well

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 05 Nov 2022 14:25

Genuinely believe you are looking at 54 points this season to stay up!!

9 wins. We can muster that right?

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 05 Nov 2022 16:09

Orion1871
McIntyre is terrible right now, but we have no choice but to play him because there is no one else.

He's always been below average. Noone last season let in more goals than us last season when Holmes and TMac were at rg heart of defence.

Didn't close down for their number 2, just stood there, invited the shot and hoped he'd get in the way of it. As has happened countless times before when our leftback is AWOL. Speaking of which, I have no idea how Baba is starting these days.

This season we're not much better probably in the worst five in terms of goals conceded.

It's no surprise when we have anyone else, like Hutch in there suddenly we look a million times better.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 05 Nov 2022 16:47

Agree with this. I’m not a goalkeeping coach or expert but his footwork seems slow to get into position and he takes ages to get down to low shots.

Reminds me of when we had Mannone. Nothing particularly bad but neither do I think, wow he’s made a great save.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 05 Nov 2022 19:23

3points

Agree with this. I’m not a goalkeeping coach or expert but his footwork seems slow to get into position and he takes ages to get down to low shots.

Reminds me of when we had Mannone. Nothing particularly bad but neither do I think, wow he’s made a great save.

Height v agility is often the trade-off you get, other than with the really best keepers. There are exceptions to the rule. Those old enough to remember Steve Death will probably recall that he was extremely agile but also seemed to be able to compensate for his lack of height through that agility.

Shaka had both height and ability but probably fits into the category of very best keepers. Marcus probably had a pretty good balance between height and agility and also might fit the very best category?

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 05 Nov 2022 20:23

As we know, PInce loves to downplay things but he excelled himself in yesterday's paper.
He said that he was surprised that Sky wanted to show us again as there were likely to be more exciting games in this round of Championship fixtures.

Unfortunately he was right.