Pre-season 2024

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Pre-season 2024

by Clyde1998 » 13 Jun 2024 06:31

paultheroyal With all the support shown, I am hoping one of those friendlies is against Basingstoke Town.

At the very least, have the U21s going down there.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 13 Jun 2024 06:43

Mid Sussex Royal Hull are a decent footballing side and this will be a good test against a side that will play their first team.

The days of high profile friendlies in the final pre season Saturday are probably over given USA/Middle East owners at the top clubs. IF the current rate of overseas ownership continues to expand its only a matter of time before premier league fixtures are played in USA etc.

Disappointing, but you're probably right. As long as the top clubs decide to play friendlies internationally (they've got no reason to stop that) and against sides in their own division (which has increasingly happened over the past decade or so), there will be less and less opportunity for even Championship sides to have friendlies against top Premier League clubs - let alone a League One side.

Still I'm surprised we're playing a friendly against Hull, given the geographic distance between the sides. Maybe it's just the best side we can play against who's available.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 13 Jun 2024 08:14

Clyde1998
Mid Sussex Royal Hull are a decent footballing side and this will be a good test against a side that will play their first team.

The days of high profile friendlies in the final pre season Saturday are probably over given USA/Middle East owners at the top clubs. IF the current rate of overseas ownership continues to expand its only a matter of time before premier league fixtures are played in USA etc.

Disappointing, but you're probably right. As long as the top clubs decide to play friendlies internationally (they've got no reason to stop that) and against sides in their own division (which has increasingly happened over the past decade or so), there will be less and less opportunity for even Championship sides to have friendlies against top Premier League clubs - let alone a League One side.

Still I'm surprised we're playing a friendly against Hull, given the geographic distance between the sides. Maybe it's just the best side we can play against who's available.

Probably suits Hull - means they get to do a "trial" long distance away game before the action starts - pre season isn't just for the players but all the staff and logistics around a side so coming to us gives them a opportunity to test all their away day plans for a game that means nothing.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 13 Jun 2024 08:52

And aren't Reading on a roll of 6 preseason friendlies with no wins and no draws?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 13 Jun 2024 14:30

Sutekh And aren't Reading on a roll of 6 preseason friendlies with no wins and no draws?

Yep 6 defeats last preseason - we only scored in 1 game as well I believe.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Jun 2024 18:25

Stranded
Sutekh And aren't Reading on a roll of 6 preseason friendlies with no wins and no draws?

Yep 6 defeats last preseason - we only scored in 1 game as well I believe.

The only way is up, baby!
Or maybe sideways...