Sidwell's comments in the post today

161 posts
Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 07 Aug 2006 12:26

I don't care if the team were asked to play Woodley Saints in a pre-season friendly - they are PAID to play these games.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 07 Aug 2006 12:27

I completely agree with him here.

What's the point in dragging all the players over to sweden to play non-league part time teams.

If it was mid-july and the players were just returning from a little holiday and were ready to play their first game then fine. But 2 weeks before the season starts, we should be playing a bit more challenging teams.

Start with small teams like this, and then move your way up. They would have been more challenged by Reading Town.

Pointless in my opinion (at least at this stage of the pre-season).

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 07 Aug 2006 12:29

none of their pre-season friendlies have been exactly challenging have they?

Gav
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Gav » 07 Aug 2006 12:30

bobby1413 I completely agree with him here.

What's the point in dragging all the players over to sweden to play non-league part time teams.

If it was mid-july and the players were just returning from a little holiday and were ready to play their first game then fine. But 2 weeks before the season starts, we should be playing a bit more challenging teams.

Start with small teams like this, and then move your way up. They would have been more challenged by Reading Town.

Pointless in my opinion (at least at this stage of the pre-season).

I can totally understand that, and I'm sure most people can too. Whether it's accurate or not is for Coppell et al to know and us to find out.

As they are paid to be there, they are there, it just doesn't mean they necessarily have to be thrilled about it... and people will moan, everyone does.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 07 Aug 2006 12:31

Royal Lady none of their pre-season friendlies have been exactly challenging have they?

Well, not really. Have any other teams been challenged? Why didn't we play more championship clubs? Coventry, Leeds, etc...

Is that allowed?

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 07 Aug 2006 12:33

Royal Lady none of their pre-season friendlies have been exactly challenging have they?

Don't totally agree with that, playing two decent League 1 sides away from home would have been a good warm up, also Swindon gave them a decent game and then there is Feyenoord to come.

I completely agree with Sidwell, if Reading wanted to thrash someone then they may as well have stayed home and played Didcot twice more. :?

Now if they went to Sweden and played Gothenburg, Djurgardens or teams like that then it would be worthwhile.

URZZ
Hob Nob Regular

by URZZ » 07 Aug 2006 12:33

bobby1413

Well, not really. Have any other teams been challenged? Why didn't we play more championship clubs? Coventry, Leeds, etc...

Is that allowed?

If we can get a friendly with Feyenoord I think we can get one with a Championship team.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 07 Aug 2006 12:33

Surely the point of these friendlies were to get match fit. The result or the quality of the opposition is irrelevant with that in mind.

Gav
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Gav » 07 Aug 2006 12:35

He's probably just got the hump that the neckline on his new home shirt has just given way, and instead of saying 'this would never happen at Charlton', he's bitten his tongue and lashed out at something else instead.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 07 Aug 2006 12:37

SpaceCruiser Surely the point of these friendlies were to get match fit. The result or the quality of the opposition is irrelevant with that in mind.

Of course it does. Strolling around scoring every 2 minutes doesn't benefit anyone. Playing ateam capable of matching them will improve our players fitness and match sharpness. I wonder how much of a game Stack got last night or any of the defenders for that matter? :?

Drew_3

by Drew_3 » 07 Aug 2006 13:07

have to say i am losing sympathy for sidders, the point in the games likethis is to get match fit ie 90 minutes, not to play to notch sides very competetive and may be pick up a handfull of injuries.

also this is the 3rd year we have been to sweden?ever heard the phrase dont spit on those you meet on the way to the top cos you will meet them on the way down!!

so sidders it is a cliche but keep your mouth shut and let your football do the talking!

bassavage

by bassavage » 07 Aug 2006 13:10

He has got a point...Lanna were in the Swedish 6th division.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 07 Aug 2006 13:10

Drew_3 have to say i am losing sympathy for sidders, the point in the games likethis is to get match fit ie 90 minutes, not to play to notch sides very competetive and may be pick up a handfull of injuries.

also this is the 3rd year we have been to sweden?ever heard the phrase dont spit on those you meet on the way to the top cos you will meet them on the way down!!

so sidders it is a cliche but keep your mouth shut and let your football do the talking!

1st point. According to this thread we've played a load of rubbish so that must mean we have a full quota of players to choose from and no injuries then. :roll:

Drew_3

by Drew_3 » 07 Aug 2006 13:12

Alan Partridge 1st point. According to this thread we've played a load of rubbish so that must mean we have a full quota of players to choose from and no injuries then. :roll:

nope sorry you've lost me there??

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 07 Aug 2006 13:14

I just can't wait for the season to start so we can have a proper moan at the players.

Drew_3

by Drew_3 » 07 Aug 2006 13:17

please don't get me wrong i don't want to moan at any of the players and will not be doing so when at the games this season they will get my full backing regardless(as it always is)its just sidders is leaving himself wide open for criticism.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 07 Aug 2006 13:17

Stranded
Gav Which is my point, and I believe, Strandeds. It's not actually bigger news, and the fact that it was Sidwell is quite possibly the only reason it was even printed.

It is indeed, it's not news at all really just a normal player's whinge.

Except that it was reported this time last year. Players slating the club over the way they run/organise something will always be sensationalised like this, whoever the idiot is that opens his mouth out of turn.

The trip is all about bonding and a bit of fitness. Staying at home means the players just come and go as they please, being away means the club controls everything they do and the players and staff get to spend more time together. If we'd managed to get a couple more players in by now it might have had more benefit, but as it is the games are just light work outs.

If I were a player I'd rather play against better oposition, but at the same time they all moan about playing too many games so these non-events are probably thought of as better preparation by those that actually know what they want to get out of them.

If Coppell wanted to do it differently then he would've done. This isn't some brand awareness and money making tour like Utd's or Chelsea's pre-season trips, it's part of our carefully planned build up.

bobby1413 Why didn't we play more championship clubs? Coventry, Leeds, etc...

Is that allowed?

I don't know if you've noticed but the league season has already started. We're not going to get English league clubs playing friendlies during the first few weeks of their season. A week or so ago these games would've been a bit too much for us when we're gearing up for August 19th.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 07 Aug 2006 13:17

Drew_3 have to say i am losing sympathy for sidders, the point in the games likethis is to get match fit ie 90 minutes, not to play to notch sides very competetive and may be pick up a handfull of injuries

We have injuries now and quite a few of them, according to this thread we've played rubbish so how is it so, when your implying that it only happens in competitive games against better opposition? :? . The point is, injurioes happen and it rarely is down to the opposition. In fact it could be argued it is easier to pick up injuries against poor opposition who would be later in the timing of tackles and play on worse pitches.

In summary this Sweden tour is a waste of time for the players.

Drew_3

by Drew_3 » 07 Aug 2006 13:21

Alan Partridge
Drew_3 have to say i am losing sympathy for sidders, the point in the games likethis is to get match fit ie 90 minutes, not to play to notch sides very competetive and may be pick up a handfull of injuries

We have injuries now and quite a few of them, according to this thread we've played rubbish so how is it so, when your implying that it only happens in competitive games against better opposition? :? . The point is, injurioes happen and it rarely is down to the opposition. In fact it could be argued it is easier to pick up injuries against poor opposition who would be later in the timing of tackles and play on worse pitches.

In summary this Sweden tour is a waste of time for the players.

ok fair point, i dont think its a waste of time though.

Plus liverpool played some tinpot outfit the other day and got stuffed so it just shows you have to be proffesional about it, thankfully our boys appear to be doing that even if there is a sense of "why are we here"

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 07 Aug 2006 13:26

Alan Partridge In summary this Sweden tour is a waste of time for the players.

Can't believe Coppell took the side to Sweden on pre-season again. He should have known better after how poorly we did last season.

Coppell out.

161 posts