MOTD

Doyles Right Peg

Re: MOTD

by Doyles Right Peg » 24 Aug 2006 08:19

FiNeRaIn Both him and lineker think we will stay up.

He's changed his tune, only the other day he was Sheff Utd would stay up and both us and Watford would come down.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 24 Aug 2006 08:40

Yes conceding four in two is a bit worrying but in context, the two last night were a penalty and a goal after 30 mins of playing with 10 men with a reorganised defence.

Not the best game to gleam any worries from. We do need more defenders though that is for certain.

Tilehurst Mike

by Tilehurst Mike » 24 Aug 2006 08:58

FiNeRaIn I tend to agree to be honest, defending was poor against boro and poor tonight for the goals. MOTD even pinpointed sonko in both games as having a couple of lapses. We NEED to get defenders in, we are fine going forwards but conceding 4 goals in two games agaisnt two poor sides is a worry.

Agree about need to get a couple of quality defenders in but have to disagree about having played two poor teams as Boro beat Chelsea last night and Villa were well up for it last night.

I couldn't fault Reading's performance for effort, spirit and attack mindedness but having watched both games, it is evident that the pace of the game in the Premiership is that much quicker and defenders will get punished for lapses in concentration.

A good night's entertainment only spoilt by the weather, traffic on M6 and the moron behind the goal who thought it clever to intimidate the stewards and the family behind him. Why do they bother going to football?

TommyF
Location: sitting on the dock of the bay, watching the royals sail away

by TommyF » 24 Aug 2006 09:11

The thing I'm proudest about is that pundits (not just MOTD) believe we provide entertainment. Both games have been described as cracking games now and I'm really pleased that we have continued the style of football that won us the championship as it's great to watch.

Yep, we need to strengthen our defence for sure but I feel very confident that we can stay up, and in style

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 24 Aug 2006 09:13

FiNeRaIn Commented on us well. Hansen spot on talking about the sending off, basically wasnt a sending off but was a pen.
Both him and lineker think we will stay up.

The problem is with pundits is they feel the need to make snap decisions, and predictions after only a couple of games. Nobody can predict how we will do this seasoon until we have played at least 10 games, and maybe the pundits should wait until that point as opposed to making comments that could come back to bit them on the arse latter.

wehateoxford

by wehateoxford » 24 Aug 2006 09:29

well, they've tipped us for relegation and promotion in the first two weeks, lets see what they say after wigan.

IMO, just as its too soon for pundits to be running there mouths, its too soon for us too. Yes Sonko has had some lapses, but he's also defended quite well.

as for people writing off Sodje, at least let him play a prem game? he could well be the new superman

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 24 Aug 2006 09:36

zac naloen I can't disagree with anything they've said on MOTD tonight, and Hanson was spot. Penalty, agreed. Sending off? No chance.

That makes absolutly no sense whatsoever. Once the penalty has been given the ref has no other option than to send him off.

That is what the law states, anything else and he'd have been neglecting his duty.

Alan Titchmarsh

by Alan Titchmarsh » 24 Aug 2006 09:39

STAR TRAVEL
FiNeRaIn Commented on us well. Hansen spot on talking about the sending off, basically wasnt a sending off but was a pen.

Alan Hansen also suggested that if Sonko had not been sent of it could have been a different story.
Gary Lineker and Alan Hansen think we look good going forward. Mark Lawrenson his usual grudging self.

Spot on, if we'd had 11 we would of against a poor Villa side (hopefully we just made them look poor) even with 10 men we seemed to have the edge for most part but that lack of bodies just told in the end.

Hope we do appeal and it is rescinded then we can still say we technically haven't had a player sent off in a league game for over 2 years.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 24 Aug 2006 09:40

Hoop Blah
zac naloen I can't disagree with anything they've said on MOTD tonight, and Hanson was spot. Penalty, agreed. Sending off? No chance.

That makes absolutly no sense whatsoever. Once the penalty has been given the ref has no other option than to send him off.

That is what the law states, anything else and he'd have been neglecting his duty.

So its time that the vast majority of referees who act in the spirit, rather than the letter, of the law are dealt with then! Can't have it both ways. I'm sure we could compile a list as long of Sonko's arm of our opponents who haven't been sent off after deliberately or accidentally denying goal scoring opportunities as clear as last night's!

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 24 Aug 2006 09:43

alad If Sonko hadn't been caught out of position he'd not of been in a position to slip over, poor defending IMO.

Ditto for the Villa second, shocking marking from Ivar.

You will get punished at this level.

How about Soeul watching as the winger controlled the ball and then crossed it. For me that's 2 goals he's already cost us ball watching.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 24 Aug 2006 09:44

RoyalBlue
Hoop Blah

So its time that the vast majority of referees who act in the spirit, rather than the letter, of the law are dealt with then! Can't have it both ways. I'm sure we could compile a list as long of Sonko's arm of our opponents who haven't been sent off after deliberately or accidentally denying goal scoring opportunities as clear as last night's!

And we've probably moaned about it every time!

Alan Titchmarsh

by Alan Titchmarsh » 24 Aug 2006 09:45

Scarface
alad If Sonko hadn't been caught out of position he'd not of been in a position to slip over, poor defending IMO.

How about Soeul watching as the winger controlled the ball and then crossed it. For me that's 2 goals he's already cost us ball watching.

SC has already said Seol is not the finished article and needs to work on aspects of his game, but he certainly makes up for it going forward.

Also what about the number of times Harper gave the ball away yesterday.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 24 Aug 2006 09:45

Scarface

Trouble is he's created most of the goals we have scored. If he was good defensively as well, JM probably wouldn't have coughed up the money that it would have cost to buy him!

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 24 Aug 2006 09:53

Big Ern

The problem is with pundits is they feel the need to make snap decisions, and predictions after only a couple of games. Nobody can predict how we will do this seasoon until we have played at least 10 games, and maybe the pundits should wait until that point as opposed to making comments that could come back to bit them on the arse latter.

Agreed

They think Man .Utd are going to win the league because they've beaten Fulham and Charlton :shock:
Chelsea wont win the league coz they've lost 1 out of 2 games.

It's stupid.

earley_royals
Location: I am earley, super earley, i am earley, from Earley.

by earley_royals » 24 Aug 2006 10:11

If you watch the replay the second goal could've been easily prevented had Seol tracked his man.

Not sure Ivar was really at fault as it wasn't really his man, he just made a near post run and the quality of tha ball in made the goal look simple.

Seol needs to learn to track back and also defend better. He also looks slightly short of fitness. Whilst most of the team were still buzzing around at the final whistle Seol looked out on his feet.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 24 Aug 2006 10:14

Big Ern The problem is with pundits is they feel the need to make snap decisions, and predictions after only a couple of games.

Isn't that what they are paid to do? Nothing to do with "feeling the need".