new Reading fan from the states

NJ_Royal

by NJ_Royal » 25 Aug 2006 17:26

Another welcome from NJ :-)

Spudulika

Re: new Reading fan from the states

by Spudulika » 25 Aug 2006 17:41

Only one Trevor Morley
Stamtown ...something about the team history ...

Formed 1871...

... which makes us the oldest club currently in the Premiership :)

Max in Illinois

by Max in Illinois » 25 Aug 2006 17:41

Stamtown, similar deal with me although my girl has never ogled Convey's dingus. I had a friend in college from Reading and he's a big Royals fan so I always pulled for them but up until this year obviously couldn't get them on the tube over here in the States. So I'm in the bandwagon jumping crowd with you.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 25 Aug 2006 18:08

RoyalChicagoFC
Stamtown quick question - who are the royals greatest rival?

Sw*ndon Town and, to a lesser extent, Oxf*rd United --both of them relegated from lesser divisions last season, and the latter right out of the Football League.

I would disagree and say Aldershot and Bournemouth, but that would be a whole other thread.....!

Stamtown

by Stamtown » 25 Aug 2006 18:56

thanks for the responses!

our old rat infested baseball/football stadium got blown up (intentionally) a few years back...our new stadiums are much cleaner and fancier, but i can't say I dont miss the dank and the grime...sniff...

sounds like there is a pretty good northeast representation here! too bad dodgey comcast doesnt carry FSC, so it looks like i'll have to catch the games on the internet...really looking forward to that Man City game to see if i made the right choice! :wink:

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 25 Aug 2006 18:57

Why have you got a picture of jaap stam as your avatar? :shock:

Freddy
Hob Nob Regular

by Freddy » 25 Aug 2006 18:58

Good grief, isn't anyone going to say it?

Fcuk off, newbie :twisted:

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 25 Aug 2006 18:58

Freddy Good grief, isn't anyone going to say it?

Fcuk off, newbie :twisted:

No their not, because they are not idiots.

Gav
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Gav » 25 Aug 2006 18:58

FiNeRaIn Why have you got a picture of jaap stam as your avatar? :shock:

He's already told us why. Read the thread.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 25 Aug 2006 18:59

Gav
FiNeRaIn Why have you got a picture of jaap stam as your avatar? :shock:

He's already told us why. Read the thread.

Where? :roll:

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 25 Aug 2006 18:59

Jaap Stam played for man united not man city Gav. :lol:

Gav
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Gav » 25 Aug 2006 19:05

FiNeRaIn Jaap Stam played for man united not man city Gav. :lol:

Stamtown yes...jaap stamtown!!!!

Jaap Stam is my favorite player of all time, I just love what a complete ogre he is...i'll have my awesome Steroid Stam avatar up soon

FiNeRaIn, you complete tool. I said read the thread. That means read it, not look at a few words that jump out at you, make incorrect conclusions, and then ignorantly point the finger and laugh.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 25 Aug 2006 19:09

Will accept that, but how can anyone who sees jaap stam as their favorite player possibly consider man city as a club?

Gav
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Gav » 25 Aug 2006 19:11

FiNeRaIn Will accept that, but how can anyone who sees jaap stam as their favorite player possibly consider man city as a club?

Stamtown Man City because I am so used to depression, alcholism and utter lack of glory from being a Philadelphia sports fan

Tell you what, I'll read the thread for you, and you can ask me any questions about you have, how's that?

:wink:

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 25 Aug 2006 19:16

There are 10 clubs that fit that description about depression.

Its like me saying ronaldinho is my favorite player, but ill support real madrid.

Gav
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Gav » 25 Aug 2006 19:18

FiNeRaIn There are 10 clubs that fit that description about depression.

Its like me saying ronaldinho is my favorite player, but ill support real madrid.

Don't worry I'm just trying to wind you up now, I'm in a funny mood.

Stamtown

by Stamtown » 25 Aug 2006 19:24

haha yes! this flaming pleases stam. i was lucky enough to see him playing with AC Milan against Chelsea in the summer tour at the Meadowlands in NJ last summer...a couple of my friends and I held up a huge stam banner with his picture and started screaming like crazy at him while he was warming up and he shot us this horrible scowl of death! I'll never forget that menancing look.

hmmm...3 kb is woefully inadequete to do my roided / post roid stam avatar justice

RoyalChicagoFC
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalChicagoFC » 25 Aug 2006 19:28

Stamtown i was lucky enough to see him playing with AC Milan against Chelsea in the summer tour at the Meadowlands in NJ last summer...a couple of my friends and I held up a huge stam banner with his picture and started screaming like crazy at him while he was warming up and he shot us this horrible scowl of death! I'll never forget that menancing look.

I knew it was a Milan connection, but I couldn't be arsed to put it on the record. Stick around here long enough, and you'll know the sensation for yourself.

Someday I'll have to tell you the story of my courtside encounter with Reggie Miller that took place on the weekend before the Pacers' playoff series with the Sixers in '01...

Royal Yank
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: A dry county in North Carolina... but close to the county line. WooHoo!

by Royal Yank » 25 Aug 2006 19:38

Welcome aboard Stamtown from a former Berks Co, Lancs Co and Mont Co resident, now enjoying the sunny south.

URZZZZZZZZ
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Long knocks it back in.............IT'S READING WHO TAKE A MASSIVE STEP TOWARDS WEMBLEY!!

Re: new Reading fan from the states

by URZZZZZZZZ » 25 Aug 2006 19:48

Only one Trevor Morley
Stamtown Hi all,

Due to my passionate hatred for baseball, dismal outlook for the Eagles, Flyers, Sixers, and the lack of an MLS team here in Philadelphia, i've decided I need a premiership team to follow and support to fill the void.

It came down to Man City and Reading. Man City because I am so used to depression, alcholism and utter lack of glory from being a Philadelphia sports fan, and Reading because of their underdog moxie, blue collar work ethic and ties to the region (my girlfriend went to high school with Bobby Convey and saw him skinny dipping one morning in the pool once, she swears thats all that happened). I've decided to throw my hat in with Reading after following them through the offseason and the two spirited performances so far in the premiership, plus I'm told the agony of Man City fandom is something you need to be born into anyway.

In any case, I hope you accept me into your ranks and don't think of me as a bandwagon jumper. I feel like I'm getting pretty well up to speed from reading the boards and various articles around the net, but I'd like to gather some opinions about what you guys think is the most important thing to know about being a Royals fan...something about the team history, fan culture, coaches, players, etc...just so I can better feel things out.

Thanks!

Good first post and wlecome aboard - although I'm concerned that you even flirted with Man City and that a naked Bobby Convey was somehow a determining factor - but there you go!

I could go on for hours about our history - but summing it in one paragrpah would go something like this.

Formed 1871.run of the mill third division (now League 1) League club with flirtations with both Dividion 4 (now League 2) and Division 2 (now Championship - still with me?) until 1980. In the Eighties exciting things started to happen, we won 13 matches in arow from the start of the season to create a new record. We won a cup (Simod). We nearly got merged with Oxford by a crook known as robert maxwell and were within a hairs breath of becoming the Thames Valley Royals.......1990 was a key date - Madjeski bought the club and took us towards the Premiership - along the way we nearly reached the Premeirship in 1995, we got promoted on 3 occasions and relegated once, we reached the play offs on 3 occasions and never got promoted through tem, we left Elm Park for the Madjeski........ basically its been an exciting time......

Great players include Robin Friday, Neil Webb, Kerry Dixon, Trevor Senior, Michael Gilkes, Trevor Morley......

Things are never dull. We seem to attract drama, we never spend too much money and we are dreadful in the cups..........

Enjoy.

I know at least 3 people who was influenced by this.