Transfer Deficit

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 21 Sep 2006 13:16

Quite right re. Tyson, Murray and a number of others actually, (Martin Butler, Nicky Shorey and Dave Kitson for example cost us more after reaching certain milestones). It's a bit difficult keeping tabs on supplementary fees, (as noted in my comment below the chart), and I tend to cover this in a notes field for each player.

The Scott Murray point is actually a good one, and perhaps I should show a sell fee of £250k, as I believe, (or stand corrected), that that was the outstanding portion of the fee we were duer to pay Bristol C when he was transferred back.

Tyson (and Henderson?) is a bit more difficult, as we received the fee somewaht after he left us, so again, simply putting the final total obtained may not be appropriate.

Would appreciate views on how this should be shown in the records.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 21 Sep 2006 13:22

Holy sh*t! Did we actually pay good money for Bas Savage?

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 21 Sep 2006 13:36

Pardew and Coppell both bought players who achieved promotion and as such possibly paid for themselves - Coppell's certainly did with the jump to the Prem.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 21 Sep 2006 13:44

strap Quite right re. Tyson, Murray and a number of others actually, (Martin Butler, Nicky Shorey and Dave Kitson for example cost us more after reaching certain milestones). It's a bit difficult keeping tabs on supplementary fees, (as noted in my comment below the chart), and I tend to cover this in a notes field for each player.

The Scott Murray point is actually a good one, and perhaps I should show a sell fee of £250k, as I believe, (or stand corrected), that that was the outstanding portion of the fee we were duer to pay Bristol C when he was transferred back.

Tyson (and Henderson?) is a bit more difficult, as we received the fee somewaht after he left us, so again, simply putting the final total obtained may not be appropriate.

Would appreciate views on how this should be shown in the records.

Strap, this is absolutely brilliant stuff, you really should publish a book or put it online or something to give us a nice reference point

Pedantically though the fees for Kitson, Doyle, Seol and Sodje rise depending on appearances etc... so these have/will actually change.

Finally what about those players who we got for nothing, could you include those just for the sake of seeing the full SP??

Jimmy Crawford, Elroy Kromheer, Peter van der Kwaak :lol:

Royalupnorth
Location: Is there a time for first communion, a time for East 17?

by Royalupnorth » 21 Sep 2006 14:19

Sorry for being thick, but didn't we get good money for Primus when he went to Portsmouth?
If we didn't, whoever was manager at the time (TB2???) has further instilled in me what a duckegg he is. Linvoy was a great defender and a nice lad too. Rare these days.
Should've kept him :(

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 21 Sep 2006 14:21

Royalupnorth Sorry for being thick, but didn't we get good money for Primus when he went to Portsmouth?
If we didn't, whoever was manager at the time (TB2???) has further instilled in me what a duckegg he is. Linvoy was a great defender and a nice lad too. Rare these days.

I thought he left at the end of his contract. Can't remember how old he was at the time but if under 24 we may have got something.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 21 Sep 2006 14:26

Stranded
Royalupnorth Sorry for being thick, but didn't we get good money for Primus when he went to Portsmouth?

I thought he left at the end of his contract. Can't remember how old he was at the time but if under 24 we may have got something.

He was born in 1973, so he would have been just about to turn 27 when he moved.

Apparently, his abilities are all thanks to God:

Wikipedia Despite originally being told by Redknapp he was not of Division One standard, let alone suitable for the Premiership, Primus proved his manager wrong by seizing his chance when other signings missed out through injury and suspension. By the end of the 2002-03 season he had become a vital member of the side that won the First Division title, winning the Portsmouth fans' player of the season as well as the PFA accolade for Division One. Primus credits his renaissance to his conversion to Christianity after his friend and Pompey team mate Darren Moore reintroduced him to the faith.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 21 Sep 2006 14:27

I seem to remember us losing him for b*gger all. Allowed his contract to virtually end before attempting to negotiate a new one. Linvoy asked for a better deal and, IIRC, was told by Mr Howe that it was a good offer and that if he really thought he could do better he should go and look elsewhere. Linvoy promptly did look elsewhere and ended up doing considerably better.

Shortbread

by Shortbread » 21 Sep 2006 14:29

Linvoy definitely left at the end of a contract - he made it pretty clear during the season he wasn't going to be entering negotiations on a new one and I think was pretty clear he could do better elsewhere.

We still haven't yet proved him wrong, either!

Edit: On the same lines at the same time there, RoyalBlue...

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 21 Sep 2006 14:35

RoyalBlue

I seem to remember us losing him for b*gger all. Allowed his contract to virtually end before attempting to negotiate a new one. Linvoy asked for a better deal and, IIRC, was told by Mr Howe that it was a good offer and that if he really thought he could do better he should go and look elsewhere. Linvoy promptly did look elsewhere and ended up doing considerably better.

That's how I remember it.

To be fair to the club, they adopted the same approach with Messrs. Caskey & Cureton, so 2 out of 3 aint' bad.

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 21 Sep 2006 16:03

Sidwell cost £75,000? Although I think the fee went undisclosed, I'd always heard it was nearer the £400,000 we spent on Harper.

If it really was that little, Sidwell's value must have appreciated more as a percentage than any other player!

(although he'll probably go for free next summer... :( )

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 21 Sep 2006 17:54

strap Would appreciate views on how this should be shown in the records.

Transfer fees can be somewhat ambiguous as we all know, but it's my opinion that, regardless of whether we get or give money for a player in sell on clauses, international appearances etc, those clauses are part and parcel of the original deal so therefore should stand as part of the reported transfer fee in your database strap. Take this for example:

We sell Nicky Shorey for £4million, plus £500K for 50 appearances, plus £500K for international appearance, plus 20% sell on clause. He makes over 100 appearances, and makes his international debut. He then subsequently gets sold for £10million, giving Reading another £2million. In your database it would merely show £4million, however the other clauses are all part and parcel of the same selling deal, therefore you should count the total transfer fee as:

£4,000,000
£500,000
£500,000
£2,000,000
£7,000,000

It is this £7million figure I feel you should be reporting because it is all money from the same sheet of paper detailing the transfer.

thefruits

by thefruits » 21 Sep 2006 18:53

What great analysis, many thanks

What does seem apparent, and I guess many on here will boo at the point, is that mr mcgoo did very well to more than balance the books and produce a great team (of its time). I know to many here he's a seen as a villan for leaving (in the manner more than anything else) but fair dues to him.. he didn't half have a part to play in the legacy that now puts us 6th in the Premiership.

I wonder if he had the opportunity to undo his leaving here.. whether he would ? A far better manager than TB1 or TB2... unfortunately he couldn't really win at Brighton with no cash. Anyway.. back to the thread... Pardew didn't exactly make much back from sells did he !!!

Royal Jelly

by Royal Jelly » 21 Sep 2006 19:13

Surely we can't really consider a net "transfer deficit" without factoring in the value of each of the players if the club was to cash in its chips and sell them all in January.

I'd wager we'd more than make back the total outlay over a lengthy period.

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 21 Sep 2006 19:49

Good point! We must not sell them all, or we'll really be capital rich, assets poor....