Murty testimonial

127 posts
M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 19 Nov 2006 20:31

We just need to keep this threat going for the next couple years :wink:
anyone heard anything from STAR on whether they've approached the club yet about this?

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 23 Nov 2006 09:01

The Telegraph
Murty denied testimonial
By Tom Cary

Reading chairman John Madejski has told club captain Graeme Murty that he will not be granted a testimonial as he believes that players are paid enough, without the traditional bonus of a tax-free windfall. Murty, 32, whose current deal runs out at the end of the season, will have spent nine years with the club next summer.

"In days gone by, there was a reason for them because players were paid diddly squat," said Madejski. "That is not the case now – they are paid an incredible amount of money. What we are looking to do is raise money for the club. Money here is still very tight and we have to hold our heads above water. If we are going to have a game at the stadium then I would rather it be to raise money for the club, not a player."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Sun
Royal snub for Murty tribute
By VIC HOLLY

JOHN MADEJSKI has told Reading skipper Graeme Murty he will not be granted a testimonial — even if he signs a new deal. The defender, 32, whose contract runs out at the end of the season, will have spent nine years with the club next summer. But even if he extends his stay, the Royals supremo says he cannot have a payday.

Madejski said: “We don’t do testimonials any more. There is just no reason for them any more.“In days gone by there was a reason for them because players were paid diddly squat. That is not the case now — they are paid an incredible amount of money.â€

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 23 Nov 2006 09:26

I'm with JM on this one.

I'm not knocking Murty but he's been handsomely rewarded for his loyalty with a pretty healthy pay packet over the years. If we're honour loyalty to our club then i'd rather it be done for some of the backroom staff behind the scenes who don't earn a fraction of the money the players do.

Lets not forget that the first year and a half or so of Murty's time here he spent most of it in the treatment room. Not that i blame him really, i don't think i'd have wanted to play in TB2's team either.

I also have a vague recollection of him coming on as a sub on his comeback game at some northern outpost to be greeted with the chant " we all thought that you were dead " by the travelling faithful. Who'd have thought that 7 years or so later he'd be leading us out in the Premiership.

As i said ii's nothing against Murts as i think he epitomises all that is good about our club, i just don't think in this day and age testimonials for players are particularly appropriate.

That said i'm sure a campaign will be under way to try and make this happen and if it raises money for charity then who am i to argue.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 23 Nov 2006 09:28

I'd agree with JM unless Murty arranges to have the money go to a charity, in which case I think it would make a perfect end of season game.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 23 Nov 2006 09:32

While I'm behind JM to some extent, I don't have a problem with Murts having a testimonial.

If people want to come along and support any events they will, if they don't they won't.

I imagine Murts would give a lot of any money made to charity anyway just as Parky did.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 23 Nov 2006 09:56

Vision I'm with JM on this one.

I'm not knocking Murty but he's been handsomely rewarded for his loyalty with a pretty healthy pay packet over the years. If we're honour loyalty to our club then i'd rather it be done for some of the backroom staff behind the scenes who don't earn a fraction of the money the players do.

Lets not forget that the first year and a half or so of Murty's time here he spent most of it in the treatment room. Not that i blame him really, i don't think i'd have wanted to play in TB2's team either.

I also have a vague recollection of him coming on as a sub on his comeback game at some northern outpost to be greeted with the chant " we all thought that you were dead " by the travelling faithful. Who'd have thought that 7 years or so later he'd be leading us out in the Premiership.

As i said ii's nothing against Murts as i think he epitomises all that is good about our club, i just don't think in this day and age testimonials for players are particularly appropriate.

That said i'm sure a campaign will be under way to try and make this happen and if it raises money for charity then who am i to argue.

Totally agree.

Brazil was on Talksport spouting off that its a shame and that Murty deserves a testimonial as he hasn't been playing the Prem earning mega bucks for all these years. He was urging Reading fans to write to the Chairman politely demanding Murty is granted a his windful.

Murty has been a very loyal servant, although I'd question how many times he'd had the opportunity to move anywhere 'better,' and deserves some recognition but JM is spot on that testimonials are outdated due to the money in the modern game.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 23 Nov 2006 09:59

As usual our Mr Mad is thinking outside the box and I fully agree with him.

What is about footballers that they think they are different from the rest of us and more deserving?

Anyone know how much Murty is on at the mo? Roughly.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 23 Nov 2006 10:02

Gordons Cumming As usual our Mr Mad is thinking outside the box and I fully agree with him.

What is about footballers that they think they are different from the rest of us and more deserving?

Anyone know how much Murty is on at the mo? Roughly.

I'd guess somewhere around the 10k mark.

Wouldn't football be a whole lot better if all Chairman were like ours!

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 23 Nov 2006 10:06

So Murty is on 10K a week?

£520,000 a year.

Not much left to say is there?

TommyF
Location: sitting on the dock of the bay, watching the royals sail away

by TommyF » 23 Nov 2006 10:07

An awful lot less than Alan Shearer was on. Shearer probably earns more off the beeb than Murty does and whilst Murty undeniably is paid well enough for a good lifestyle now, it isn't like he's been on megabucks for years to see him out to retirement!

Murts will need a job going forward and will be starting out at the age of 35 or so with his only training in something he can no longer do. I think the journeymen of football rather than the superstars still don't have it all handed to them on a plate.

Fully expect Murts job to be in football mind, given how he is so he should't have as large a learning curve as some when he finishes

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 23 Nov 2006 10:13

TommyF An awful lot less than Alan Shearer was on. Shearer probably earns more off the beeb than Murty does and whilst Murty undeniably is paid well enough for a good lifestyle now, it isn't like he's been on megabucks for years to see him out to retirement!

Murts will need a job going forward and will be starting out at the age of 35 or so with his only training in something he can no longer do. I think the journeymen of football rather than the superstars still don't have it all handed to them on a plate.

Fully expect Murts job to be in football mind, given how he is so he should't have as large a learning curve as some when he finishes

My heart bleeds........... :roll:

He's about to negotiate a new contract which will take his earnings to well over a million in 2 years.

Come on.

I know many people who have re-trained for new jobs and they have been well over 35!!!!!!!!!!

Murty won't even need a job when his contract and playing days are up if he wants.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 23 Nov 2006 10:15

Again fully with JM on this one. The decision to grant Parky one was the right one, he stuck with us during the really bad times of the late 90's and no one ever questioned his commitment to RFC.

Murty's obviously been fortunate to have been involved in a half decent team for nearly 5 years now and will soon get rewarded with Premiership wages and a new deal.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 23 Nov 2006 10:23

Bucks Dave 21,000 turned up for Parky and that was when we were sh*t and the rains poured down.

Errrr, you are wrong, we had just gained promotion to Division one (Now the Championship) at the time of Parky's testamonial. No way we were shit at that time.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 23 Nov 2006 10:38

Disappointed, it's not all about money, I'm sure Murts knowing the kind of guy he is would donate most if not all of it to charity.

This is about saying 'thank you' for 10 years service to the shirt for one of the most popular players ever who unlike a lot of our fans

'Was there when we were shit'

I'm all for testimonials, Parky's was a birlliant night and I would love Murty to get one.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 23 Nov 2006 10:41

Parky's was a brilliant night.Agreed.

Footballer's are far too pampered in this society for my liking.

Any posters on here get a testimonial for 10 years service?
Oh yeah and if they are also a potential millionaire. :wink:

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 23 Nov 2006 10:49

Alan Partridge Disappointed, it's not all about money, I'm sure Murts knowing the kind of guy he is would donate most if not all of it to charity.

This is about saying 'thank you' for 10 years service to the shirt for one of the most popular players ever who unlike a lot of our fans

'Was there when we were shit'

I'm all for testimonials, Parky's was a birlliant night and I would love Murty to get one.

Except he was hiding in the treatment room when we were really shit. :wink:

On the plus side though a testimonial would give Sue Roberts something to do for the next 18 months.

Stooper
Hob Nob Regular

by Stooper » 23 Nov 2006 10:56

Will his testamonial date be from the date he signed or when he made his first appearance? :wink: :lol:

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 23 Nov 2006 11:00

Right&Royal Will his testamonial date be from the date he signed or when he made his first appearance? :wink: :lol:

A testimonial is to mark years service. It doesn't make sense to deduct time on the bench or in the treatment room so surely from when signed.

Stooper
Hob Nob Regular

by Stooper » 23 Nov 2006 11:05

M4 Junction 11
Right&Royal Will his testamonial date be from the date he signed or when he made his first appearance? :wink: :lol:

A testimonial is to mark years service. It doesn't make sense to deduct time on the bench or in the treatment room so surely from when signed.

:roll: :lol:

jenster81

by jenster81 » 23 Nov 2006 11:18

Murts, in my eyes has been one of the most popular players at Reading ever. He's a great spokesperson for the club, intelligent and hard working.

I think we all know for a fact that the majority of any money raised at a testimonial for him would be given to charity. i dont think theres a shadow of a doubt in that. His wife still works full time as a teacher and also has helped set up and run a charity - theres absolutely no sense of money grabbing there whatsoever. I have nothing but respect for the pair of them.

Even when Murts was injured he was a key member in the dressing room, even from the start. and he has upped his game at every point that people have doubted him.

It would be a proud day for any Reading fan - and let alone the Murty family (of which there will be a little one added to that by then!) - to have a celebration for the first captain to take us to the premiership and give us that sense of pride and amazement we all felt last year.

127 posts