Reading v Everton Match Preview - 23 Dec 06

Royal Fleet

by Royal Fleet » 19 Dec 2006 16:34

Volunteers are required to help with this, if anyone fancies having a go -

Pick your game here

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 19 Dec 2006 19:18

Mr Angry A word of thanks to Handbags Harris for these match previews; genuinely interesting and informative. The opposition fans views are especially insightful! (Maybe someone should tell them that the last time we played against Lescott we tore him to teensy weensy LITTLE pieces!!!)

Mr A, I already have, citing the Glen Little twisty run where he mugged Lescott of the ball and then took 3 players out of the game in one piece of skill (including Lescott again :wink: ) before crossing for Kits to power in!! I got the response "Lescott won't make the same mistake twice"!!

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 19 Dec 2006 20:01

And for my next trick, "Famous Fans" now has a link.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 19 Dec 2006 20:25

Adolf Hitler "Rumoured to have lived in Dingle in the early twenties, was supposed to be that fond of the Blues that he watched them regularly and was a big fan of the dangerous 'Dixie Dean', who inspired early thoughts of aerial bombardment. Also the Observer / Independent wrote a ditty on Everton a few years ago regarding Hitler, saying "the most hated man in the world followed the Blues." Well, let's hope his penchant for red had him leaning the other way!
:lol:

higher
Hob Nob Regular

by higher » 20 Dec 2006 18:47

Bet 365 (wed 7pm)
Reading 13/10
Draw 9/4
Everton 2/1

mydak

by mydak » 21 Dec 2006 10:12

this is the game i have been looking forward to most this season.
For 13 long years, until my head was swayed by a chance trip to tilehurst, there was only one team whose results i needed to know.
I saw similar highs and lows as a toffee as i have as a royal, sat through both getting six put past them, saw both win well.
Since then they have always been the team who's results i would check to see how they were doing that week, and whenever a big game happened - 95 cup final, all those last day of the season need to win to stay up games, i would tune in to watch them.
More recently however the interest has slipped a bit more, much to the disappointment of the blue side of the liverpool family, and now i can never rekindle it again, not until the terrible day that somehow we are separated by divisions again. It would be wrong to look out for two teams in one league.

as for saturday...

i can;t wait.

londinium
Hob Nob Regular

by londinium » 21 Dec 2006 10:37

mydak this is the game i have been looking forward to most this season.
For 13 long years, until my head was swayed by a chance trip to tilehurst, there was only one team whose results i needed to know.
I saw similar highs and lows as a toffee as i have as a royal, sat through both getting six put past them, saw both win well.
Since then they have always been the team who's results i would check to see how they were doing that week, and whenever a big game happened - 95 cup final, all those last day of the season need to win to stay up games, i would tune in to watch them.
More recently however the interest has slipped a bit more, much to the disappointment of the blue side of the liverpool family, and now i can never rekindle it again, not until the terrible day that somehow we are separated by divisions again. It would be wrong to look out for two teams in one league.

as for saturday...

i can;t wait.

The history of the two clubs is very comparable.

Reading - first year in top flight
Everton - 50 plus years without a break in the top flight.

Oh there must have been so many lows as an Everton fan - my heart bleeds!!!

EASTENDER MARKY

by EASTENDER MARKY » 22 Dec 2006 16:23

Feed the Scousers, let them know it's christmas time...

He's gonna dive in a minute... (aimed at Andy Johnson)

susieroyal

by susieroyal » 23 Dec 2006 11:38

Taken from When Skies Are Grey website. Incidently, one of the best fanzines I've ever read.

Everton face the only team in the Premiership with a nickname derived from meff ciggies that come in packets of 25.

In many ways this could be viewed as the clash of the big girls' blouses.

Reading have Ibrahima Sonko in their line up, and the big defender has admitted to being scared by death threats sent to him by crackpot Chelsea supporters after walloping Carlo Cudicini. Why mention it at all? You can understand Nigel Reo-Coker publicising the ones he's received from West Ham fans, but that's just because he wants to use that as justification when he scarpers in the transfer window. Sonko though just makes himself look like some sort of shrinking violet and only encourages the sorts of balloons - and we've got plenty of our own - who send shit (sometimes literally) through the post to players and officials. Ignore them, Sonk, old son, it's the one thing that really gets under their skin.

Dave Kitson also plays for Reading, the man who famously came out and said he wasn't happy at the admittedly crass 'Ginger Day' the club had planned for himself and Steve Sidwell last season and again just encouraged opposing supporters to give him more grief over it.

What sort of oxf*rd school did they go to? They certainly never went to one in Liverpool, where if you dared to show any sign of weakness like that you would be leapt upon unmercifully and if you were lucky branded with some vile nickname that would probably stick with you until your dying day.

"Dad, why when your friends ring up do they ask if 'Skiddy Hole' is in?"

Anyway, it's easy to rib opposing players over stuff like that, but quite frankly Andy Johnson can't be allowed to get away with his all round tartishness - it's a real word - over the whole Jose Mourinho issue. In fact, it started earlier than that, with Neil Warnock, but it came to a head with Everton and the player's adviser threatening legal action. The cunning Portuguese, with a masterstroke worthy of Johnny Cochrane, Alan Dershowitz or Corbin Bernsen in LA Law, managed to avoid that though by saying, "Oh, was I wrong? Ok, never mind, sorry about that," and all was right with the world and apparently everyone has 'the utmost respect for each other' now.

oxf*rd off will you.

Andy Johnson has been playing like shite for ages now and wants to have a look at himself before pretending that gobshites like Warnock are putting him off his stroke, so to speak. It's not helped that Tim Cahill is injured and he has had to play alongside the hopeless James Beattie, but still he needs to show a bit of arsehole himself and start putting himself in positions where he might actually score, because he looks scared of missing chances more than anything.

Michael Owen was accused of diving all the time - because he is a cheating little twat - likewise Arjen Robben, Didier Drogba and Cristiano Ronaldo. You don't see them worried about it though. They get in the box, take people on, get inspired by the abuse from the crowd and if they get touched in the box they will go down again without a moment's hesitation and worry about the flack later. Or, to be precise, not worry about it. That's not to say Johnson should dive - he shouldn't - but he certainly shouldn't start playing any differently on anyone else's behalf.

It's all well and good doing 'lots of hard work for the team' but we had Marcus Bent getting a round of applause for closing down the keeper at a fraction of the cost. For £8.5 million you need to be having shots, taking people on, being selfish and positively wanting opposing managers and fans to hate you. Quite frankly he should be fined a week's wages next time he looks like he is welling up when some defender does that two-handed diving mime to him. Get a grip - if you don't like the attention you should have stayed at Crystal Palace.

And Mikel Arteta's hurt his foot.

nivek elyod

by nivek elyod » 23 Dec 2006 11:58

Forbury Lion
Adolf Hitler "Rumoured to have lived in Dingle in the early twenties, was supposed to be that fond of the Blues that he watched them regularly and was a big fan of the dangerous 'Dixie Dean', who inspired early thoughts of aerial bombardment. Also the Observer / Independent wrote a ditty on Everton a few years ago regarding Hitler, saying "the most hated man in the world followed the Blues." Well, let's hope his penchant for red had him leaning the other way!
:lol:

So basically, Everton are responsible for the deaths of thousands of londoners in the blitz. Nice...

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Reading v Everton Match Preview - 23 Dec 06

by M4 Junction 11 » 23 Dec 2006 13:33

handbags_harris 10) Predicted scoreline?

It depends what Moyes does on the day, I mean if Yobo and Lescott are together at the back, with Arteta and Osman in midfield, I think we could win, perhaps 2-1. It will be tough though, I guess I'd be happy with a point. [Royal Blue Jersey]

With our current form, if im honest, 1-1 [Sim]

1-0 to Everton : Arteta should be back by then, and we're due an away win. [tadpole]

1-0 to us. [rob japan]

It will be tough at your place.... Im gonna sit on the fence a bit an say 8-0 to us! [The G-String Warrior]

start of the season i would say 3-0 to us.now i would say 1-1 , 1-0 [uknightbreed]

Due to our injuries and current form, I'd say Reading 1 - 1 Everton or Reading 2 -1 Everton. It's gonna be a tough match for us no matter how you slice it. [TX Bill]

2-1 to us [Welton Toffee]

Ask me how I feel after Sunday. Right now I expect Sods Law to operate and Reading to beat Blackburn comfortably, setting them up nicely for our visit. Could be 1 goal either way, or just a tight 0-0 game. Who knows? [ToffeeDan]

1-1 [Dennis Stevens]

fans not that confident :roll:

Bracknell RFC

by Bracknell RFC » 24 Dec 2006 01:48

Everton\everton double result paid nicely. Take off the Rose Tinted Glasses - folllow Bracknell R F C and be minted like me.

38 points? Will we do it?