Hunt

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 04 Jan 2007 10:56

Ian Royal
Gordons Cumming Anyone who gives 100% each game is worth his weight in gold.

Don't start the Hughes debate again for God's sake Gordy!

:wink:

Good point.

Sorry :oops:

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 04 Jan 2007 11:01

Ian Royal
Royalee
Ian Royal
Royalee Can't see this confirmed anywhere. Shocking news if it is I'm afraid. Always gives his all but nowhere near good enough long term.

perfectly good enough to be second/third choice winger and a desperation striker. Also means should he drop out of favour we'd get a fairly decent price for him from a championship side. I'm sure there would be plenty who'd pay reasonable money for him.

...Or we could do what any other Premiership club would be doing and look to improve our squad. If it hadn't been for the vast improvement in Lita's form and Hunt's dropping over Xmas, we'd have been stuffed at both the big boys. The best games Hunt's had this season have been Charlton and West Ham, and both teams were shocking. We lack width and creativity when he plays against teams who can defend properly I'm afraid.

We have more important areas to improve than left wing, especially with convey coming back. it is very far from a priority and keeping hunty at the club, on probably fairly low wages is a good idea.

Keeping Hunt does not mean we are not going to improve the squad. Hunt was only dropped to play a more solid defensive formation and style. Funny how he came straight back in to the team after Utd and Chelsea, and we then went on to notch up the best win in the premiership this season.

Funny how it also came up against the worst Premiership performance on record...

Don't get me wrong, I like the guy because he gives his all, but his all isn't good enough for the Premiership long term - and we're signing him on a long term contract. I could understand POSSIBLY giving him another year as we have other areas to strengthen also at the moment, but two and half is a joke.

Long term, we need to be looking to sign players better than Hahnemann, Ingimarsson, Convey (who I think is good enough for this level however), Harper, Little, etc. We only want to be looking to have players which will improve the squad long term in this league as standing still gets you nowhere in the Premiership.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 04 Jan 2007 11:09

Royalee

You must not stop forgetting that we are still only Little Reading and I'm afriad that's probably all we'll ever be. Bettering the players we already have will not be easy.

Is that a little negative? :shock:

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 04 Jan 2007 11:13

Ian Royal
Gordons Cumming Anyone who gives 100% each game is worth his weight in gold.

Don't start the Hughes debate again for God's sake Gordy!

:wink:

He's a much better player than Andy Hughes.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 04 Jan 2007 11:15

funny how no other team put 6 past the worst defence in premiership hsitory and Man Utd lost to them.

I think it is far better to secure what we've got and build from there. As I've said if we want to improve that area and no longer require Hunt then we should get a decent amount of cash for him.

You can't survive in the premierhship continuely buying players without selling anyone unless you're one of the really big clubs.

You're talking about building for the future, but IMO you have a very shortermism way of doing it. Guess we'll have to agree to differ.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 04 Jan 2007 11:19

Ian Royal funny how no other team put 6 past the worst defence in premiership hsitory and Man Utd lost to them.

I think it is far better to secure what we've got and build from there. As I've said if we want to improve that area and no longer require Hunt then we should get a decent amount of cash for him.

You can't survive in the premierhship continuely buying players without selling anyone unless you're one of the really big clubs.

You're talking about building for the future, but IMO you have a very shortermism way of doing it. Guess we'll have to agree to differ.

Fair enough. It still is nice to be arguing this over after a 6-0 win though. :)

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 04 Jan 2007 11:21

Gordons Cumming Royalee

You must not stop forgetting that we are still only Little Reading and I'm afriad that's probably all we'll ever be. Bettering the players we already have will not be easy.

Is that a little negative? :shock:

I'd say we're a more attractive proposition than moving to a Charlton or Fulham or Watford or Sheffield United or Wigan, etc right now. We have a lot of potential as well, with Sheffield United being the only club out of those who really match our fanbase.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 04 Jan 2007 11:25

Royalee
Ian Royal funny how no other team put 6 past the worst defence in premiership hsitory and Man Utd lost to them.

Fair enough. It still is nice to be arguing this over after a 6-0 win though. :)

we're never bloody happy are we!

(PS as an additional note, I'd say Convey is currently the player we'd be more likely to replace than Hunt. He's more expensive, has made less of an impact than we'd expected and is returning from a long nasty injury that may mean he never quite gets back to his best. I certainly hope that isn't the case and he comes back and kicks major ass, but it's a possibility the club would have to consider)

Trendy

by Trendy » 04 Jan 2007 11:27

When did we put 6 past Swine town :?: :?

And for that matter, when did they beat Manure?

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 04 Jan 2007 11:28

We'll see. I think people were very harsh on him at the start of the season given his number of assists, plus he wasn't fully fit then either.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 04 Jan 2007 11:28

Trendy

When did we put 6 past Swine town :?: :?

And for that matter, when did they beat Manure?

my apologies, I was refering to Royalee's comment on worst premiership perfomance on record.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 04 Jan 2007 11:29

Royalee We'll see. I think people were very harsh on him at the start of the season given his number of assists, plus he wasn't fully fit then either.

Totally agree. I think he'll settle into the premiership nicely assuming he recovers properly. But there is that risk.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 04 Jan 2007 11:39

Maguire I hope he can't get anywhere near the Reading team in 2.5 years time ;-)

How negative can you be? Surely a real fan would be hoping that he develops into a multi-million pound value and we struggle to hold on to him because he becomes so good. :oops:

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 04 Jan 2007 11:48

The old 'players can't improve' line.

Brilliant.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 04 Jan 2007 11:56

West Stand Man
Maguire I hope he can't get anywhere near the Reading team in 2.5 years time ;-)

How negative can you be? Surely a real fan would be hoping that he develops into a multi-million pound value and we struggle to hold on to him because he becomes so good. :oops:

I can be more negative than that, but I'm in a good mood.

Frustrated_Royal

by Frustrated_Royal » 04 Jan 2007 12:02

Can't believe the neagtivity about Hunt, he has been part of the squad that has got Reading into the top half of the Premiership.

Hopefully he can use his new wage packet to get himself a hair cut.

Yorkshire Royal

by Yorkshire Royal » 04 Jan 2007 12:04

Negativity. I think it's safe to say we all love Hunt. But anyone who claims he is a 'talented footballer' clearly has been drinking...

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 04 Jan 2007 12:13

Yorkshire Royal Negativity. I think it's safe to say we all love Hunt. But anyone who claims he is a 'talented footballer' clearly has been drinking...

He's better than most of the footballers that play in this stupid country.

He's not an International though.

Talented, yes.

Yorkshire Royal

by Yorkshire Royal » 04 Jan 2007 12:41

I suppose the closest comparison would be Andy Hughes. And Hunt is better than him...

Yorkshire Royal

by Yorkshire Royal » 04 Jan 2007 12:41

I suppose the closest comparison would be Andy Hughes. And he's better than him...