Match Preview - Everton v Reading, Premiership, 14 Jan 06

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 13 Jan 2007 15:09

Memories Of India
2 world wars, 1 world cup
handbags_harris
2 world wars, 1 world cup Thanks for the history - how interesting!!

So have I got it right when I think that actually Liverpool and Everton used to be the same club who just split over the disagreement?

:shock:

If so how very interesting.

To a certain degree, yes you are correct. Everton FC existed before Liverpool FC. Liverpool FC only came into being after there was a disagreement about the rent at Anfield. Everton decided to move, and so moved across Stanley Park. Liverpool FC was created to fill the void at Anfield.

Thanks HH, I see. I guess if *any* of Everton FC was involved/part of the new Liverpool at all then it could be said that they were truly a splinter club and therefore did exist before, albeit under the name Everton. But if it's the case that a *totally* brand new different club came in and called themselves Liverpool and just happened to use that ground then it's less so the case that they 'split'. Holding onto the name doesn't mean necessarily they are and always have been totally different or even that they are the original Everton and that new club are different (eg Championship Manager/ Football Manager and Guns'n'Roses/Velvet Revolver etc etc... cases in which the name holders are not the real deal). I wonder which is true?

Liverpool FC did not exist until Everton vacated Anfield. HH seems to have it spot on. LFC were formed by John Houlding, the leaseholder of Anfield.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liverpool_F.C.

I wasn't disputing just enquiring - don't really care either way. :) Depends how you see it that's all.

Actually my research since then (yep I'm a sad old git who's lost when there's no Saturday match!) interestingly confirms although the name Liverpool AFC didn't exist until Everton vacated it was actually in all but name a split - a club/ band/ game etc runs much deeper than just a name (as in my examples above). Houlding, three first team 'Everton' players and some non playing staff stayed to continue as/form what is now Liverpool. Or - eight first team players and most of the non-playing staff left and continued to use the old name.

The first team to play at Anfield was who? Everton or Liverpool? It was both - it was the Mother club of both.

The fact is neither club is 100% the old Everton. Both are a split from the original club and as far as I can see the current Everton may claim that by name they are the true Mother Everton and the current Liverpool who continue to use Anfield may rightfully claim that as they continued to play at Anfield they are the original old club and those who broke away were another team - and indeed liverweb.org.uk for example states "a breakaway part of the club split from Anfield to form their own team".

As far as I'm concerned therefore they were the same club once upon a time but split - obviously both were not going to use the name Everton! As is the case in many similar scenarios, someone holds onto the former name and the other party takes a new name but it doesn't mean that much.

I just find it interesting as I say.

latchford

by latchford » 13 Jan 2007 21:14

Everton won the league title at Anfield before Liverpool exsisted, we weren't the same club, Liverpool formed many years later and used Anfield since Everton had a disagreement over rent for it, we moved to Goodison Park 8)

The Toffee is back for round II, I remember stating last time "You stop Arteta, You stop Everton" and he was once again excellent and such an under-rated player however he is suspended and will be a huge blow for us but good news Tim Cahill and Tony Hibbert are back.

Nuno Valente got stretched off in the fa cup game so it will be the awful Gary Naysmith who will take his place tommorrow.

Good luck for the rest of the season after tommorrow of course :wink: