Is Gunnarsson pushing for a first team start?

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 04 Mar 2007 14:22

Royalee Agree again readingbedding, I thought the only players who had decent games yesterday were Hahnmenann, Bikey and Lita besides the subs. I thought Hunt and Harper in particular were the worst, however, and they were both poor up at Boro as well so I'd drop them in favour of Gunnarsson and Oster.
Hard on Murty, who I thought was well up to the task apart from the unfortunate miskick for the second goal.

I'd love to see Oster picked. He came to the club with a terrible rep, and his attitude and application have been fantastic for going on two years now. I was amazed both on his part and the club's when he signed a new contract last year, but it's really paid off. He could have gone off to some half-decent club like Ipswich or QPR and got regular playing time, but instead he's become emblematic of the Reading way.

I'm in two minds about Gunnarsson for Harper. A lot of Harper's influence goes unnoticed, but he was definitely off yesterday, and Bryn was definitely on fire against Utd.

doylefan

by doylefan » 04 Mar 2007 16:38

Arch
Royalee Agree again readingbedding, I thought the only players who had decent games yesterday were Hahnmenann, Bikey and Lita besides the subs. I thought Hunt and Harper in particular were the worst, however, and they were both poor up at Boro as well so I'd drop them in favour of Gunnarsson and Oster.
Hard on Murty, who I thought was well up to the task apart from the unfortunate miskick for the second goal.

I'd love to see Oster picked. He came to the club with a terrible rep, and his attitude and application have been fantastic for going on two years now. I was amazed both on his part and the club's when he signed a new contract last year, but it's really paid off. He could have gone off to some half-decent club like Ipswich or QPR and got regular playing time, but instead he's become emblematic of the Reading way.

I'm in two minds about Gunnarsson for Harper. A lot of Harper's influence goes unnoticed, but he was definitely off yesterday, and Bryn was definitely on fire against Utd.

Oster deserves to start against Pompey in a few weeks time. He's played well when hes come on lately as a sub and against man u in the week. derserves his chance to start. Bring him in for Hunt and then if needs be bring on Hunt as a sub - he'd be up for the game then and proably come out all guns blazing!

As for Gunnarsson - deserves his chance like Oster. Alot of Harper's work goes unnoticed but he has looked off pace recently.

UpNorth

by UpNorth » 04 Mar 2007 16:57

Have to agree - Harper has gone missing recently and Gunnarsson looks a better bet. Oster to start as well. Halford on the bench?

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 04 Mar 2007 17:06

I thought playing James "can't tackle and will back off giving the other team free run of our midfield" Harper against a team like arsenal was a mistake from the start.

I've been moaning for a few seasons that Harper can never be considered a defensive midfielder. The only time I thought he played really well last season was when he played the attacking role with Bryn holding

MC ROYAL

by MC ROYAL » 04 Mar 2007 17:10

Bring in Oster for Hunt and Bryn for Sidwell.

Trigger

by Trigger » 04 Mar 2007 18:46

Yes we should definitely drop Sidwell.

willz_royal

by willz_royal » 04 Mar 2007 18:49

MC ROYAL Bring in Oster for Hunt and Bryn for Sidwell.
bryn for harper and its a goodun

roll over boltonhoven

by roll over boltonhoven » 04 Mar 2007 19:14

well wonders will never cease, I actually agree with Royalee - Gunnarsson for Harper and Oster for Hunt. Also I thought Kitson was dreadful yesterday, could easily have got booked before he did, plus looked slow and petulant. Doyle or Long would be more effective on that showing.
But the strangest thing of all yesterday was Murty running striaght down the tunnel at the end, rather than saluting the fans. What was all that about?

The most predictable thing was of course (apart from that Lehmann would have a go at everyone, including his own defenders) that the underground would be up the creek.
:wink:

BLUES & ROYAL

by BLUES & ROYAL » 04 Mar 2007 20:26

Perhaps Hunt feels comfortable and thinks he is an automatic choice in the midfield now Convey is out!

No pressure for him.

Coppell's Right Footed 11

by Coppell's Right Footed 11 » 04 Mar 2007 20:33

Personally i think Bikey wasn't great yesterday, he gave away a stupid penalty and he gives players far to much space when running at him.

Walcott went past him numerous times with ease in the second half and luckily didn't have his shooting boots on. If that was Henry he would of had a hatfull.

With the discussion with Bryn i personally would play him at centre back instead of Bikey as he can actually pass the ball and move forward with play.

Oster for Hunt aswell, Hunt was annoymous yesterday and in those games first touch is essential and he doesn't have that although has improved.

Halford would of been useful for last 10 with his throw

ohagerup

by ohagerup » 04 Mar 2007 20:54

1871 Royal I thought Hunt did alright yesterday, Hunt never came on against Utd, was going to but then went back and sat down.

:shock:

Hunt did nothing upwards the field, and little backwards either. Misplaced on several occasions, and not at all friendly with the ball. And we saw little of his most appreciated asset - to win the ball early and high up the pitch, which creates important counters for us (he has done this great earlier in the season, so I'm not just bashing him in general here

What exactely did he do alright?

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 04 Mar 2007 21:41

Walcott went past him numerous times with ease in the second half and luckily didn't have his shooting boots on

The young man has exceptional pace, I doubt that few centre backs in the premiership could keep up with him. Walcott is still unproven as a striker.

MC ROYAL

by MC ROYAL » 04 Mar 2007 21:48

willz_royal

Harps is our most important player, he makes the team tick.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 04 Mar 2007 22:58

MC ROYAL
willz_royal

does he hell.

He runs around, doesn't tackle and backs-off midfield runners.

He's had a few good games this season but the arguments about Harps are the same as they've always been. And I guess will never get resolved till we see what life is like without him

some see it that "The team only plays well when Harps plays well"

others (me included) see it that "Harper only plays well when the team's playing well"

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 04 Mar 2007 23:05

I hear Oster has done well in the centre. Better than The Gunman perhaps?

MC ROYAL

by MC ROYAL » 04 Mar 2007 23:19

John Madejski's Wallet
MC ROYAL
willz_royal

does he hell.

He's had a few good games this season but the arguments about Harps are the same as they've always been. And I guess will never get resolved till we see what life is like without him

others (me included) see it that "Harper only plays well when the team's playing well"

I would be pretty confident that our record is a lot better with Harps playing than without him.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 05 Mar 2007 01:06

John Madejski's Wallet
MC ROYAL
willz_royal

does he hell.

You didn't go to newcastle.

Abbo

by Abbo » 05 Mar 2007 01:16

I think Coppell will show faith in Hunt/Harper/Little and will be rewarded with a terrific display NTO.

I reckon they will shred Pompey.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 05 Mar 2007 01:20

Abbo I think Coppell will show faith in Hunt/Harper/Little and will be rewarded with a terrific display NTO.

I reckon they will shred Pompey.

i'm with you.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 05 Mar 2007 03:11

As a prediction, that sounds right. I think we'd need to be closer to a crisis to see the team changed. There are just some players you take a shine to, and for me that's Oster. I watched the game in the company of Arsenal fans and their group comment was that after Oster came on we had a lot more quality on the ball.