I'm officially bored of travelling away with Reading

275 posts
Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 02 Apr 2007 08:38

I recall the days when you could stand at away games (in fact you had to !).

Plenty of times the atmosphere was non existant as the 187 Royals fans shivered on a northern terrace watching our plucky lads grind out another 3-0 defeat to York City.

Time has a funny effect on the memory. Of course the odd game with a big following standing up and making lots of noise (Bristol City) was great, but let's be honest it wasn't every week.

Apart from the games you list I've enjoyed Everton, Liverpool, Evrton and Birmingham and yesterday was fine. Arsenal was definitely quiet, but it's not every game that is totally dead, just like it was never every game that was a complete riot.

And switch things round - how many away games have we been to where you look atthe home support and think 'I'm glad I don't sit with them every week' !!

Banjax

by Banjax » 02 Apr 2007 08:51

don't funking go then so maybe i can get a bloody ticket

Adrian's Fool

by Adrian's Fool » 02 Apr 2007 09:00

Banjax don't funking go then so maybe i can get a bloody ticket

hehe, good point. Is it just me or didn't anyone else think No 13 had a great match yesterday??? :? Lots of amusing chants such as "you're just a fat kevin doyle" (to Keane) "Nugent nicked your goal, Nugent Nugent nicked your goal" (to Defoe) and "3-1 in your cup final" (to Spurs fans collectively.

Also just spotted this in the Independent : "After the penalty had tipped the match Tottenham's way - the admirable Reading fans responded with a loud burst of "1-0 to the referee"

I'm confused.

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 02 Apr 2007 09:03

Did anyone mention the seat allocation. I wouldn't mind if I picked up a couple at the last minute but day 1. If the ticket office want to know why there is a drop off in away support next season don't blame the fans and look closer to home.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 02 Apr 2007 09:15

Adrian's Fool

hehe, good point. Is it just me or didn't anyone else think No 13 had a great match yesterday??? :? Lots of amusing chants such as "you're just a fat kevin doyle" (to Keane) "Nugent nicked your goal, Nugent Nugent nicked your goal" (to Defoe) and "3-1 in your cup final" (to Spurs fans collectively.

Also just spotted this in the Independent : "After the penalty had tipped the match Tottenham's way - the admirable Reading fans responded with a loud burst of "1-0 to the referee"

I'm confused.

Yeah, but somone wanted to sit down.

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 02 Apr 2007 09:20

M4 Junction 11 Did anyone mention the seat allocation. I wouldn't mind if I picked up a couple at the last minute but day 1. If the ticket office want to know why there is a drop off in away support next season don't blame the fans and look closer to home.

Why ? The TO don't decide the seat allocation - as has been discussed many times on here....

Seal
Hob Nob Regular

by Seal » 02 Apr 2007 09:46

Adrian's Fool

I'm confused.

Singing a couple of mildly witty chants doesn't make for great support.

I thought the support was ok, nothing special, which was backed up by the Steward I was sitting next to. He said Man U & Liverpool were the loudest fans this season. Best behaved - Reading & Watford, Worst - Cardiff.

I'm with JSC on this, I am getting seriously bored of away games now. Next season I'm going to pick and choose them, and stick to ones further away and at awkward times, so there are less daytrippers.

And to all the smart a$$es saying 'I'll have your ticket', well it wasn't mine anyway; I didn't have enough points to get one. Therefore I used a friend's with more points. If you really want to get to an away game you can, so stop moaning.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 02 Apr 2007 09:47

If its an all seater stadium you sit down, most importantly its not fair on the kids in the rows towards the back who can't see prperly unless people sit down in front of them.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 02 Apr 2007 09:48

I'd just like to say that WHL has popped into my top five grounds. I thought it was an excellent place to make some noise, nice and compact like the Shed End at Chelsea.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

Re: I'm officially bored of travelling away with Reading

by Jerry St Clair » 02 Apr 2007 09:54

Woodcote Royal How many games do you need to attend before the rules relating to all seater stadia penetrate that thick skull of yours :?

Frankly, I can't be alone in getting slowly p*ssed off as I'm forced to sit down and stand up countless times throughout a match thanks to people like you, who couldn't give a fcuk whether those behind you get see the game they've paid for or not.

Those of us with more than 3 brain cells are aware of a perfectly sensible campaign being waged to allow fans who wish to stand to do so once more, but in their own area that doesn't block the view of others who can't stay on their feet for 90 minutes, not to mention the vertically challenged............some of these are known as children :roll:

If you insist on breaking the rules week after week with no regard for others, how many more games you attend may not be your decision to make.

Thank you for your kind words, sir.

My original post was a bit misleading in that it wasn't just the standing issue that pissed me off. More the general atmosphere.

I was surrounded by people who sat down for the whole game and didn't say a word all day, except to chant USA at the end when Marcus came over. :roll:

It just seems to me that watching Reading away has changed for the worse recently.

And, to the smart arses who say don't go. I haven't been. You'll be pleased to hear that someone else got my ticket for Arsenal, Man Utd and Liverpool because I Knew they'd be full of daytrippers.

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 02 Apr 2007 09:57

Huntley & Palmer I'd just like to say that WHL has popped into my top five grounds. I thought it was an excellent place to make some noise, nice and compact like the Shed End at Chelsea.

Ditto - although I was glad that I wasn't sat behind the control room.

Oh, and a :lol: @ the bloke who sat down next to the policeman on the gangway in an attempt at a Health and Safety protest.

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 02 Apr 2007 09:57

Behindu
M4 Junction 11 Did anyone mention the seat allocation. I wouldn't mind if I picked up a couple at the last minute but day 1. If the ticket office want to know why there is a drop off in away support next season don't blame the fans and look closer to home.

Why ? The TO don't decide the seat allocation - as has been discussed many times on here....

I think we all know the TO don't decide seat allocations - as has been discussed many times on here.... That would mean a bit of effort on their part.

blue_army_wokingham

by blue_army_wokingham » 02 Apr 2007 10:09

its like banging your head against a brick wall talking about standing at games. but i 100% agree with you......if the game is being televised then i dont understand why people who dont want to stand and sing travel to the game. you get a much better view of the game on tele than you do sat behind the goal at the ground......the main reason you travel to the game in that instance would be to enjoy the atmosphere?? or am i wrong there?

if people want to sit then they have the right to do so. but as i personally believe they are in the minority compared to those that choose to stand, i dont feel they should feel the need to constantly moan at people standing up occasionally and maybe they should be a bit more tolerant??

i personally prefer to stand, but i dont mind sitting if people still sing their hearts out. So people that want to sit, if you sing as well then youre ok in my books, but to sit their and not give vocal 'support' to the team, why bother going and not helping spur the team on to victory?

like has been mentioned before, for next season the club needs to establish a new system on the away season ticket policy - everybody who wants to sing their hearts out for the whole game should add their name to a list and then the club can sit these fans together at away games. then the problem would be solved??

3 veesinarow
Hob Nob Regular

by 3 veesinarow » 02 Apr 2007 10:14

I assume all these sheep bleating about not being able to stand were in the Lower tier as the 21 rows in the upper tier were so sharply raked that standing really was not necessary unless a moment of high drama ensued. We were fortunate enough to not be stuck behind the UFO attached to the roof and had perfect views. Singing, clapping and chanting to our heart's content and no fear of contorted faces of rage from those who MUST stand to be able to draw enough breath into their lungs to chant obscenities - not support - when they are asked to return to their arses 2 minutes after they've been left looking like a bottle bobbing on the ocean.

I am officially bored of these unoriginal, narrow-minded, dictatorial and intolerant lackwits who moan about our support, home or away. I'm not embarrassed to be a fan of Reading Football Club and no amount of whining will ever change that.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 02 Apr 2007 10:14

Katie Marsden Reading = the worst away support in the league in terms of quality. On a par with Wigan, Boro and Fulham.

Almost everyone in a club shirt, sitting down and chanting such songs as 'M U R T Y' and 'Dave Kitson what a bargain'.

If you show any passion fellow fans are prepared to grass you up to the stewards and get you thrown out.

Yawnnnnnn. It is like a stuck record,you and you incessant moaning about other fans and the way they 'don't have the passion'. Just because they show it in a different way to you doesn't mean they are wrong. Oh, and standing up when all around you want to sit isn't 'showing passion' it is just rude, selfish and in contravention of the published ground regulations. (so lets not have the usual rubbish about how those who wish to sit are being selfish etc - because they do occupy the moral high ground).
Last edited by West Stand Man on 02 Apr 2007 14:10, edited 1 time in total.

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 02 Apr 2007 10:28

T.R.O.L.I. I was glad that I wasn't sat behind the control room.

What control room would that be :roll:

AndyRFC
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by AndyRFC » 02 Apr 2007 10:28

Nottingham Forest at Bristol City on Saturday, 3,500 stood up throughout the game hardly a shirt or family in sight.

3 veesinarow
Hob Nob Regular

by 3 veesinarow » 02 Apr 2007 10:32

AndyRFC Nottingham Forest at Bristol City on Saturday, 3,500 stood up throughout the game hardly a shirt or family in sight.

Good for them. :roll:

sheshnu

by sheshnu » 02 Apr 2007 10:33

AndyRFC Nottingham Forest at Bristol City on Saturday, 3,500 stood up throughout the game hardly a shirt or family in sight.

WOW!

That sounds AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish I had been there watching that.

frimleygreen_shotspur
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: between the old wheatsheaf and the rose and thistle

by frimleygreen_shotspur » 02 Apr 2007 10:44

fantastic!!!!!!!!!!

275 posts