Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 24 May 2007 12:16

Only 9 capped players in the squad of 21! :shock:

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 25 May 2007 00:54

Tinrib
The whole year inn I can't look at the title of this thread anymore.

I c what you mean..

:D

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 25 May 2007 08:28

Pablo Escobar
brendywendy anyone see the game?

how did bennett play?

Looked sluggish to start, but didn't put a foot wrong and he grew into to game. Nearly scored with a header with a few minutes to go. Ecuador's goal was Bruce's fault as Bennett held the line and Kadieves very well!

I thought Bennett did pretty well, difficult for him seeing as he's not played a competitive game for months but he looked strong in the tackle, happy with the ball at his feet and good in the air.
HArd to work out where he might sit in our pecking order but my gut feel is he looked better than Sodje, somewhat cooler than Bikey and probably most similar to Ivar. We could have a Sonko or Bikey / Ivar or Bennett lineup with Duberry to fit in somewhere !

Lieutenant Pigeon

by Lieutenant Pigeon » 25 May 2007 08:34

[quote probably most similar to Ivar. [/quote]

Agreed - I actually said to my wife when we saw him play in the reserves that he could be an Ivar clone (for the style of play!)

C.

zac naloen

by zac naloen » 25 May 2007 08:57

Lieutenant Pigeon [quote probably most similar to Ivar.

Agreed - I actually said to my wife when we saw him play in the reserves that he could be an Ivar clone (for the style of play!)

C.[/quote]

from the reserve game against Bolton I saw that Bennett actually looks quite comfortable with the ball at his feet going forwards. He seems to be a pretty good all round defender, we'll find out just how good next season I suppose.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 25 May 2007 12:55

The whole year inn
Tinrib
The whole year inn I can't look at the title of this thread anymore.

I c what you mean..

:D

q emoticons .... :wink:

Pablo Escobar

by Pablo Escobar » 25 May 2007 13:42

On a funny (in hindsight) note, about 4 (maybe 5) years ago, Benno scored one of the most spectacular OG's in history to knock us out of the FAI Cup against arch-rivals Shamrock Rovers. He managed to lob his own keeper from the half way line. To this day I still can't believe it.

Benno is a super player though and actually played in midfield for us for 3 years, then one day he played centre back away the Bohemians and had a blinder and he's been there since!

I have no doubt he'll be a regular starter for club and country!

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 25 May 2007 13:46

Pablo Escobar On a funny (in hindsight) note, about 4 (maybe 5) years ago, Benno scored one of the most spectacular OG's in history to knock us out of the FAI Cup against arch-rivals Shamrock Rovers. He managed to lob his own keeper from the half way line. To this day I still can't believe it.

Benno is a super player though and actually played in midfield for us for 3 years, then one day he played centre back away the Bohemians and had a blinder and he's been there since!

I have no doubt he'll be a regular starter for club and country!

hes looked good int reserves
i hope he forces his way in next season

Row V
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Welcome to NJ, where the weak are killed and eaten.

Re: Equador v Rep Of Ireland (Reading) match report

by Row V » 25 May 2007 15:25

hobbit The Republic of Ireland recovered in brilliant style to draw level with Ecuador with a spectacular goal from Kevin Doyle in the 44th minute of an open and entertaining friendly match at the Giants Stadium, New Jersey on Wednesday night.

How the hell did I miss that :evil:

The Colonel

by The Colonel » 25 May 2007 15:52

Corky341 http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/6686569.stm

A wee bit more here. But not much. Nice to see 'our' lads doing well, again.

American-born student Joe Lapira, who had only met Staunton and the squad when they arrived in New York at the weekend, became the 11th debutant of the night and the first non-professional international since 1964.

So Steve Staunton played an American university student who he had never even met before? Must have been desperate!

Hey Steve, I've got Irish roots (somewhere), can I play in the next game?

Behindu
Hob Nob Regular

by Behindu » 25 May 2007 15:56

The Colonel So Steve Staunton played an American university student who he had never even met before? ?

Saved a couple of transatlantic air fares though ! That will keep the FAI accountants happy.